Print Thread
Hop To
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I've got a Barbary hunt coming up, and potentially an ibex hunt as well. My hunting partners are both taking Eberlestock packs...one has the X1 and the other an X1E. I don't want to be the odd man out not being able to pack in my own gear, or pack out my own meat because of my pack, or lack thereof. I currently have a few small daypacks, but nothing that can carry meat, or the rifle. I'm a little weary of having the rifle in the pack, unaccessible, but at the same time, while packing out the meat, or even while traversing the technical terrain, having both hands free may be a blessing. Any thoughts?

Here are my thoughts....keeping in mind that I don't want to dump a lot of money either, and I'm sticking with these choices because I like the gun scabbards (or should I stay way from the pack scabbards?), and I received some gift cards to a vendor who carries these packs.

1) Eberlestock X1
2) Eberlestock Gunrunner
3) Eberlestock X2 without scabbard
4) Eberlestock X2 with attachable scabbard (how are these compared to the back scabbards?)
5) Other pack, with no scabbard or with Kifaru GUnbearer?
6) Any other recommendations?

Thank you!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an X-1. It is more of a "daypack" size. Not sure how much gear you intend to carry but empty, you can carry about 50 pounds of meat, maybe 60 if you really stuff it in. I also have a J-107 Dragonfly. It or the J-34 will pack more meat + gear. I like the Eberlestock pack scabbards. They carry your rifle securely and comfortably, however, I typically use it while packing in but not while actually hunting. While it is accessible, it isn't quickly accessible and I'm a little uncomfortable pulling a loaded rifle out hand over hand behind my head, especially if excited over spotted game.

I do use a Kifaru gunbearer while actually hunting, which can be used with any pack you currently own. I'm not entirely happy with the position of the rifle but really don't know what my complaint with it is. It works, secures your rifle yet keeps it readily and quickly accessible. I believe it overall to be a good piece of gear, once you get it adjusted and get used to the rifle position. If you want both hands free for trekking poles etc. the gunbearer is the best solution I know of.

If you already have a good pack, I certainly wouldn't advocate buying an Eberlestock just to get the scabbard. Just add a gunbearer to your current pack and go hunt.

Last edited by snubbie; 01/13/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You likely won't need your rifle that quickly that an Eberlestock pack wouldn't work for you perfectly. X1 might be a little small if you're thinking of packing the meat out with it. One of the Gunrunners would be about the right size. Next size up is quite a bit bigger.

If you have a quality pack, the Kifaru gunbearer could be a solution.

Another option:

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a MR Bighorn on my Aoudad hunt and have used it on several day hunts. With the 'wing' on the back, I can lay my rifle on the pack and snug up my rifle quite easily for all day carrying.

The Eberlestock would be a good choice for this type of hunt and my partner used that on the same hunt.

You wont be packing much meat (if any) and the horns/cape are the only real concern. Man oh man I want to go back and shoot another one of them critters sometime soon!

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks everyone for all of the tips. I think I am leaning toward the X2 for a few reasons. I like the "batwing" design, and I like how the scabbard is my choice, so the versatility seems like it would be there, and, from what I've read, it does a decent job of packing meat when necessary.

Still deciding, but getting closer!

Thanks again!

IC B2

N
N
Aoudad hunt and have used it on several day hunts

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.