Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
Just curious. If you had bottled water, in the plastic used today, how long would it keep if stored out of sunlight. I know that most of the plastic jugs used today do not handle sunlight very well but I don't use bottled water. miles

We've had water stored out of sunlight for 5 years of so in plastic bottles and it is still fine. Milk jugs won't last as long, but the 2 liter pop bottles and the big juice bottles work well too.

We live 50 feet from a perennial creek and have filters ready too.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Driven

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm on a well. No power/no generator, I still have a secondary manual pump. That all [bleep], I have a river 300 yards away, if that dries up then we are already all dead.

I have no hand pump but on a well. I live 500 yards from lakes in two directions. In the same boat. If they're dry, it's beyond to late.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have chickens, goats, cattle, a big veggie garden and a hand pump for the well. We might sweat without A/C but we will survive.

Folks in cities are screwed about day 3 without grocery stores and without power they are truly SCREWED, BLUED and TATTOOED!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Be patient, man made gas shortages??? Man made amunition shortages???? Man made AR shortages???? Come on people, in a free market society. The time to make hay is when the sun shines. Do you not think these big companies could not buy manufacturing equipment?? And put more people to work?? To keep up with the demand. Excuse me, What is the unemployment rate?? I guess if our military needed these things you also believe the greatest country in the world couldn't supply them with their needs. I say bullcrap!! Deals are being made and people will sell their soul if the price is right!!! I Sure am hoping for them to offer the wrong person blood money. ANd have them spill the beans. So be patient for the food shrotage! When the time is right they will find the right hooker to get the job done.

MAFIA LIKE, TYRANT LIKE, CALL IT WHAT YA LIKE BUT WHAT EVER IT IS I HOPE IS LIVING ON BORROWED TIME!!

Take care, Willie

Last edited by wdenike; 01/17/13.

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gunner500

We have a barge load of canned foods, I can lay a bed of hickory coals and keep venison, beef, turkey and small game jerked for months, we are also a tank of gas away from most metro areas, the stragglers will be shot on site.

Gunner

This is where the "city folk" will go wrong if anything were to happen. They just won't know what to do, where to go, or what to do if they do go somewhere.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by milespatton
Just curious. If you had bottled water, in the plastic used today, how long would it keep if stored out of sunlight. I know that most of the plastic jugs used today do not handle sunlight very well but I don't use bottled water. miles

We've had water stored out of sunlight for 5 years of so in plastic bottles and it is still fine. Milk jugs won't last as long, but the 2 liter pop bottles and the big juice bottles work well too.

We live 50 feet from a perennial creek and have filters ready too.
i store it in the 8 gallon camping jugs that you can buy at any outdoor store.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by gunner500

We have a barge load of canned foods, I can lay a bed of hickory coals and keep venison, beef, turkey and small game jerked for months, we are also a tank of gas away from most metro areas, the stragglers will be shot on site.

Gunner

This is where the "city folk" will go wrong if anything were to happen. They just won't know what to do, where to go, or what to do if they do go somewhere.

Correct, there is no more ruthless dangerous animal in the world than a deranged starving human.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Driven
My cousin down by Enid, Oklahoma was telling me that he could dig a well down there with a post hole digger, the water table was so close to the surface.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody know how long kerosene would keep without breaking down?

thanks

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We are so close to the Tennessee rive, obviously the table here is very shallow. The house has stood since the 20's so I'm guessing we will have water for awhile. There is water at the street but I didn't have it brought in.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RandyR
Anybody know how long kerosene would keep without breaking down?

thanks

Decades.

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We are NOT preppers. We have a few guns and a few cartridges. Ability to load more and some components to do so with.

We also have a few cases of MREs.
A few cases of water.
A generator to run the water well with if need be.
A few cattle around.
A nephew with chickens just in case.
A garden.
A freezer that gets seeds rotated now and then. IE we keep a couple of scoops of most seeds in the freezer for a rainy day, but use and replace every few years.
I have on list but have not done yet, to buy a bit more flour, sugar, salt, dry beans, and rice, and vac seal and put in freezer for a rainy day.

We have on the list to buy a generator for the diesel tractor to power the whole house also.

Prepping? Nope not at all. And especially not overboard. Just good old common sense for things like SHTF, country completing its morph to communism, tornado, hurricane, ice storm etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This looks like a good product: Link

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have enough survival food to last for at least two years in storage

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This looks like a good product: Link

You can generally easily find 55 gallon poly drums that had food coatings in them if you ask around enough, ours come from an ice cream manufacturer. 5 or 10 bucks each IIRC....
Didn't need any but have aobut 10 back of the barn for what ifs.
Work great cut in half for gut buckets for cleaning deer/pigs. And works great to toss all the fish in while bowfihsing on the airboat wihtout getting the boat too filthy.

But instead of worry about that, we just need the power for the water well. Anyone that has enough land should IMHO drill one, even if rarely used... just in case.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this would be a close approximation of exactly what will happen.

http://youtu.be/8O6IMYSSs7c

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you post this on a day when we are turning about 75pounds of oranges into orange marmalade.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hoarder! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by edk
A normal person cannot imagine what the animals will do with a food shortage. The death rate in cities would skyrocket. ED K

Hi Ed,

I am 100% certain that our government would attempt to control our behavior by terminating our access to food.

Stalin's forced famine, which killed about 10 million, caused people to become delusional and resort to cannibalism.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 36 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.