Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

He picked the wrong city for a victory tour! mad

Gov. Cuomo in Rochester to ceremoniously sign gun control legislation

Posted at: 01/16/2013 10:41 AM | Updated at: 01/16/2013 7:28 PM
By: Ray Levato | WHEC.com

One day after he signed the toughest gun law in the nation, Governor Cuomo came to Rochester to honor the memory of the two West Webster firefighters killed Christmas Eve with an assault weapon.

The state's new law has been controversial. The news about Governor Cuomo coming to Rochester for a ceremonial signing of the new gun law wasn't widely publicized. But word got out, and a handful of second amendment protesters gathered outside city hall.

Bob Meyer carried a large American flag, and another one that said "Don't Tread on Me."

Bob Meyer said, �My 2nd Amendment rights are being violated.�

He said the new law hamstrings people's ability to protect their homes and property from intruders.

Meyer said, �Criminals won't respect this law. Criminals don't respect any law.�

David Luther said he felt it was important to stand for his principles.

David Luther said, �The government seems intent on restricting our rights, but doing their job like maybe passing a balanced budget or things like that just never happens.�

In response to that, A Governor�s spokesman pointed out that every year the Governor has been in office he has passed on time balanced budgets with no new taxes, fees or borrowing gimmicks.

Governor Cuomo was due at 11:00 a.m. He arrived a little late and was ushered in through a back entrance to a waiting crowd that packed City Hall atrium. The Governor spoke about how the law recognizes sacrifices of the two West Webster firefighters who were killed by an assault rifle Christmas eve, and two others who were wounded.

Gov. Cuomo said, �And what's called the Webster provision, which is we protect our first responders. Common sense, protect the first responders. Protect your first responders.�

After, he was surrounded by local leaders for a ceremonial signing of the law that was passed Tuesday and then he took questions.

News10NBC asked about the issue raised by the protesters that this law infringes on the rights of legal gun owners.

Ray Levato said, �Now Governor Cuomo, how does this law address the scourge of illegal handguns that claim so many lives including in the city of Rochester?

Governor Cuomo said, �The law also increases the criminal penalties on many illegal handguns and the use of illegal handguns and the crimes committed with illegal handguns. So it does that also.�

Levato said, �Governor, how do you address this whole enforcement aspect of it like gun dealers, gun shops that kind of thing?

Cuomo said, �Part of disseminating information about the bill is so local law enforcement and gun dealers, everyone knows the new rules and the new laws because they will be enforced by local law enforcement.

When the Governor left City Hall, people in the crowd stared heckling him but he appeared to shrug it off.

Governor Cuomo says this was the most important thing he's done as an elected official. He says it ranks right up there with bringing sense to the state budget and marriage equality which he said was profoundly important.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you throw anything at him? Get it on video?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Great leader NY has there. Now go pay some more taxes to feed him.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I predict he will stay in Albany for a while. Thanks to a few good people for giving him he'll! The guy is a total fraud.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Law abiding NY gun owners are welcome in Texas!

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I see that he erased his schedule for next week. I guess he doesn't want us to know where he is going.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/calendar

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Becareful he may be coming to y'all

Gov. Cuomo Takes Gun Law Victory Lap

BY Ken Lovett

Gov. Cuomo held a ceremonial bill signing of his new gun control law today in Rochester, just miles from the town of Webster, where two firefighters were shot to death Christmas Eve by a man who lured them to his house by setting it on fire.

Cuomo said the new law is among his greatest achievements as governor, up there with the 2010 passage of gay marriage.

�No doubt this is right up there because this will make New York safer and that is important�especially for a community still reeling from the pain of Webster,� he said.

Cuomo at the event shot down criticism that he pushed through his gun control package without enough public input. Critics have charged the deal was negotiated behind closed doors and then rushed to the floor for a vote without the bill aging the usually required three days.

�Anyone who says there�s been no discussion of gun control has been living on a different planet for decades,� Cuomo said. �There�s nothing in this bill that hasn�t been discussed for years and years and years.�

�How many people have to die before government acts?� he went on. �How many families have to grieve before government acts?How many more Websters have to happen before government acts? How many more Newtown, Connecticuts have to happen before government acts?�

�Enough in my opinion. Enough innocent people have lost their lives. Something has to be done.�

The new law, which Cuomo actually first signed in Albany on Tuesday just minutes after it received final passage in the Assembly, expands the state ban on assault weapons, restricts ammunition magazines to no more than seven bullets, down from the previous 10, requires universal background checks, enacts measurers designed to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill, and increases gun-related criminal penalties. It also requires that gun licenses be renewed every five years.

In recognition to the shootings in nearby Webster, Cuomo noted the new law requires life in prison with no chance for parole for the murder of first responders.

Cuomo said he expects the bill will be challenged legally, but said he believes �when they actually understand what it is, they will actually be comforted.�

�This is not about hunters, this is not about sportsmen,� he said. �This is about keeping the hands out of the hands of people who are mentally ill and dangerous to themselves and others� as well as criminals.

Cuomo held the event around the same time President Obama was outlining his gun control plans. Obama did not reference New York's new law.

The NRA, some Republican state lawmakers and other critics charge Cuomo's successful push for New York to be the first to enact new gun control measures after last month's school massacre in Newtown, Ct. was done more to bolster his national ambitions.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He will not make it out of NY

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.....well maybe Jeff_O

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would seriously move. Why stay?

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Some one should have stressed the fact that assault Weapons did not kill these people. Our State Government did by releasing this killer after only 17 years . ---- Copied from a newspaper-- "A gunman who killed two firefighters in a Christmas Eve ambush in upstate New York told a parole hearing 20 years ago that he �couldn�t explain� why he had murdered his grandmother and was unsure if he would kill again.
William Spengler, 62, killed himself in the Dec. 24 ambush in which he laid a trap for first responders by setting his Webster, N.Y. home ablaze then opening fire on a volunteer fire crew.
Spengler was a violent ex-con who had spent 17 years in prison for beating his 92-year-old grandmother to death with a hammer in 1981."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/webster-killer-warned-kill-article-1.1229383#ixzz2IGwHYjXw

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I do believe he screwed the pooch and committed political suicide on the national stage

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Jeff will Likely be voting for him in 2016

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Gov. Cuomo Takes Gun Law Victory Lap

BY Ken Lovett

Cuomo said the new law is among his greatest achievements as governor, up there with the 2010 passage of gay marriage.

That says it all.

-Ken

Last edited by CaptEdIII; 01/17/13.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by noKnees

Jeff will Likely be voting for him in 2016

Only for his first term though. crazy

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
doubtless.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do believe he screwed the pooch and committed political suicide on the national stage

So do I. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess we took a gernade for the rest of you guys

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I sure miss Pataki

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Said it before, Colorado is next. The governor already expressed his eagerness to pounce on gun owners. He said "the time is right for more gun control." And our state has a democratic majority. Wife and I already talked about different places to move since CO is becoming CA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.