Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
You guys contemplating flying in the future can get a private pilot's ground school kit (preps you for the written) for about $150 and start going through it now... heck, look around, might find the whole classroom course for a few hundred more than that.

I was thinking along those lines myself. Its been 15 years since I have flown regulary.

http://www.gleim.com/products/produ...eluxe-Sport-Pilot-Kit-with-Online-Ground

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Mark,

I was raising a family at that age there wasn't extra money for "fun" stuff. I was a single Dad raising 2 sons for several years. I don't require much fun stuff now, I consider where I live and what I do have to be about as much fun as I have time for. I have more than I need and am thankful for that.

That's good stuff.
Most here are pretty lucky. We have jobs, loved ones and food.
We live rural. We regularly do things outdoors that most Americans would consider there "splash" trip and we do it weekend after weekend.
Life is good.
I been on trips, cruises, etc. to exotic places and metro areas. I always feel better when I'm heading home.
I would like to take some pics in Africa some day and, God willing, I probably will.
I guess I consider my lifestyle right now a pretty good "splash" through life.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Mark,

I was raising a family at that age there wasn't extra money for "fun" stuff. I was a single Dad raising 2 sons for several years. I don't require much fun stuff now, I consider where I live and what I do have to be about as much fun as I have time for. I have more than I need and am thankful for that.

That's good stuff.
Most here are pretty lucky. We have jobs, loved ones and food.

We live rural. We regularly do things outdoors that most Americans would consider there "splash" trip and we do it weekend after weekend.
Life is good.
I been on trips, cruises, etc. to exotic places and metro areas. I always feel better when I'm heading home.
I would like to take some pics in Africa some day and, God willing, I probably will.
I guess I consider my lifestyle right now a pretty good "splash" through life.

I agree, most of us are pretty lucky. In fact, while reading skullmonkey's post I was thinking that it might be appropriate to start a thread focusing on what we individually managed to do accomplish already in life. That's not meant to take away from this thread, which I understand is more about future dreams and nothing to do with complaining about things we've missed out on.

So far I've got of this Earth's most amazing children, I have a job that pays most or all of the bills and I'm certainly not losing weight from too bare of a pantry.

I've had some interesting experiences and I expect many more wonderful memories are just around the corner as my son and daughter get a little older and more adventurous.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Already climbed Mt Kilimanjaro andhiked The CHilcoot Trail - I am now finishing a 31 Foot power trimarran that will be a true Passagemaker. Destination - we shall see.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got my share of the mechanical toys and for the most part, women bore me these days, (as they should have all along,..but hormones being hormones,..yanno?)

Mostly, my current bucket list is dominated by free time.

Essentially, I want to be laid off and draw unemployment long enough to allow me to give Europe a good exploration.

I have the money,...I have the inclination,..I just don't have the time.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mark,

Sounds familiar ......4 kids, wife. No big splash for me unless I win the lottery....and I don't play the lottery. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My aim at this point in my life is to simplify.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hockey Day Minnesota last year:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was with the NHL Alumni guys playing against an Army military vet team. Seeing as I was a Marine, the shutout for my half off the game was priceless......

Doing a yoga demo before the game with the puck-bunny in pink was even better.....until my wife saw it on TV......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys deserved a better pic of the yoga-girl.

[Linked Image]

(I'm asking the other goalie "Do you think our wives will see this???) smile

Last edited by goalie; 01/18/13.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
go up in some old WWII Warbirds like a B25 or any of the fighters that happen to have 2 seats.....dont care if i actually get to pilot them but it would be awesom just to take a ride in them...

I did that last year. Don't wait, knock that one out. A group flight on a B-25 would be fun for you and the family/friends.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if I was extremely wealthy I'd probably hunt Africa,

but we're just well off, not wealthy in my estimation.

some would look at our net worth and say go for it, and perhaps I should have, opportunity was there, but I declined in order to try and secure our family's financial future.

no desire to fly, had the opportunity to do that too, go in halves with my best friend on a small aircraft, who happens to be a top notch aviation mechanic

I've lived a rich and full life, some travel, lots of hunting, in fact much of my life has gone beyond my dreams into just pure fantasy for what's transpired in it.

I may still want to buy a piece of property in Hawaii and want to buy a bit more real estate locally for rental income.

but truthfully the biggest thing on my bucket list is to spend more time in the company of my wife enjoying the simple pleasure that life offers. Those are the ones that truly make my heart sing.

I love to do the things we do and often involve spending time at our cabin, love going there by boat or snowmachine. Really enjoyed time at the beach, though I'm probably gettin a bit long in the tooth to become a pro surfer.

This life has been good to me, and I truly wish the same for my campfire compadres wherever your individual dreams take you, I hope they come true for you.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by NH K9
Honestly, I'd rather meet up with a bunch of guys like 'Flave and Ingwe and shoot p-dogs for two days than go to Africa solo.

George

Ya' know George? I think I agree with that. The company a guy spends time with has a whole lot of influence on the experience. I'm betting that time spent killing little critters with such company as deflave or ingwe would be something to remember.

Be aware George, that it is in the realm of possibility....

And you guys nailed it. I just spent a couple days at 'the ranch' ( long story) ostensibly to hunt predators. well, weather sucked and I called a a few old freinds. Guys Ive known for forty years....I cooked supper for them and we just plain spent the evening around the fireplace sampling a number of bourbons wink

things dont get much better than that.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't touched the controls of a plane since many of you were in diapers. I miss it, but have no huge desire to do it again, even though I can certainly afford it (and NOT affording it was why I stopped.)

I've done more and been more than most folks. That's not a brag, but an explanation for why I have no bucket list left. I've flown in combat, taught jets, owned a business, was the Voice of NASA, and was a gun writer. The only things left to me to enjoy (and I do) are fishing and golf. My wife and I will take a few more cruises, love our grandkids, and leave them an enviable amount of money. That's it. Done.

And I'm very, very happy about that.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Got the Red convertable---Mustang

TEXAS, by GOD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I haven't touched the controls of a plane since many of you were in diapers. I miss it, but have no huge desire to do it again, even though I can certainly afford it (and NOT affording it was why I stopped.)

I've done more and been more than most folks. That's not a brag, but an explanation for why I have no bucket list left. I've flown in combat, taught jets, owned a business, was the Voice of NASA, and was a gun writer. The only things left to me to enjoy (and I do) are fishing and golf. My wife and I will take a few more cruises, love our grandkids, and leave them an enviable amount of money. That's it. Done.

And I'm very, very happy about that.

You just reminded me a lot of my bucket list is meeting friends I have made here wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would very much like to see India and South America before I'm too old. And spend winters in Santa Barbara even when I am.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
MMM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I too became a parent late in life after waiting a long time for kids. Now we have two awesome little girls to share our life with. My main priority is to raise them and teach them and have fun with them and make a difference in their lives. I do have some more materialistic plans too though (only as they don't interfere with family life):
1. A nice big metal building for a workshop/hobbies area/man cave. This will happen in the next year or so.
2. A brown bear - hunt planned for Alaska next May.
3. A cape buffalo - no solid plans for that yet. Really gotta work on it.
4. Another piece of property to replace the one I had to sell. Can't afford as much as I'd like, but maybe 400 - 500 acres full of deer, hogs, turkeys, fish, etc.
5. I've always wanted to fly and have a plane too. Couldn't afford it when I was younger and had no kids. I can afford it now but after taking a hard look at the statistics I just don't fair to the wife and daughters to go out and try to learn to fly at this point in life. I'll be 60 when my 1st grader goes to college. Maybe if I'm still in half-decent condition I'll try it then.

Man, it feels kinda good to put this stuff down in words.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by NH K9
Honestly, I'd rather meet up with a bunch of guys like 'Flave and Ingwe and shoot p-dogs for two days than go to Africa solo.

George

Ya' know George? I think I agree with that. The company a guy spends time with has a whole lot of influence on the experience. I'm betting that time spent killing little critters with such company as deflave or ingwe would be something to remember.

Be aware George, that it is in the realm of possibility....

And you guys nailed it. I just spent a couple days at 'the ranch' ( long story) ostensibly to hunt predators. well, weather sucked and I called a a few old freinds. Guys Ive known for forty years....I cooked supper for them and we just plain spent the evening around the fireplace sampling a number of bourbons wink

things dont get much better than that.....

I'm livin' the dream, using what little time and money I have to meet and enjoy people like y'all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a pilot and flight instructor, its doable for anybody that really wants to do it. Sport Pilot Certification would be what I would look at, no medical need just a current drivers license. You fly J-3 cub type aircraft. Just plan fun. Me will I been pushing one airplane or another along with helicopters around now for money going on 38 years now, the last few years have been tough. As you know our country is going thru some tough times. As for my big Splash in Life, well I renew my flight instructors certificate again in Aug of 2014, its also will be 100 years since the start of World War I. And I am hoping that I will be Newly Married by then it will be my first and I know some would think I am out of my mind. But hey this is the big splash thread and well getting married is a big deal !!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That my Father could have 10 years off my life so he could live longer and see his last very young grandson grow up to be the real man that he is.

And yes I really mean this.

I would also like to find the redhead that I let get away.

And yes I REALLY mean this.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,694
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.