Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 169 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 168 169
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I'm figuring on using a pair of brass knuckles.

wel your big enough.

still want to see you and jerry get drunk and wressle grin

I kaint wrassle CT, larryroot is gonna put me in the ICU, hell, I may not even be able to carry my rifle after that.

Gunner

Gunner just grab the little twat by the head bite his ear off and spit it in his face and then we can go have some of Pats BBQ

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hail CT, I'ma half-century, but yes, if I survive the Root assault we'll just drink and kill hogs. lol

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well hell, I'm a mere pup at 40, but drinking and killing hogs are alright with me.

Steely,
I don't post the pics of me wrestling chicks. That was pre-Mrs Tide.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
VERY nice rifle there! It reminds me a lot, in profile etc, to my Brno ZKW465 22 K-hornet. Also a miniaturized true Mauser action.

Question of the century here..... How come they could do Mauser actions to actually FIT various classes of cartridges back then, but not today? Why, when one buys a rifle in 223 for example, do you have to lug around an action built for the 308 classes of cartidges that is merely blocked and otherwise poorly adapted to diminutive rounds? As far as I know, only CZ now has a bolt action rifle that is truly of a correct size for the smaller cartridges. Savage has a new budget rifle in 22 Hornet, but how about a couple of nice rifles like the Model 1920, small Brno's and Sakos of yesteryear, and we have better machining and technology with CNC etc.

Rant over, sorry for the rabbit trail smile

Not a Mauser or even a 1920 expert, but I would judge it has to do with tooling costs. Forging dies, and all the other related tooling probably cost somewhat less back then, and in addition, when the Mauser was a military weapon they'd get orders for tens of thousands of them, which made it easy to justify the setup cost for special action sizes. CZ may still have a bit of advantage, getting things made in Eastern Europe.

Today if say, Ruger, decides to make a super-short action, then they'd probably be amortizing the tooling over only a few thousand rifles, which is a tough sell. The same is true of The Number One - it would be cool if they'd make a smaller, lighter action, but it ain't likely.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been looking for a good hunting load for the AR-10, and today found it dearly loves 150 gr Noslers. Put 5 into an inch, then the next three went into one hole. That's a relief as it was pretty indifferent to 130 TTSX's.

The .45-70 did pretty well, too, running 300gr TTSX into an inch. It's launching them at 2270 fps.

The Hawken? err...ummm...I seem to have a problem with it, namely a stuck cleaning jag blush

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dribble some lite oil down the barrel. Most times it lubricates it enuff to pull out. If not,pull the breechplug and push all the way through.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks, I'll try that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what exactly is plan for the end of the hunt.....do we leave Sunday morning, night? part of the reason i can make this all work is i can get cheap hotel rooms through my SIL but to get the cheap rate i have to do some "long range" planning and book some of the hotel rooms now to get the cheap rate....doesnt really matter when we leave to us i just need to figure the schedule out now...

and anyone thats been contemplating taking us up on the offer to pick them up along the way speak now or you will have to meet us somewhere along a set route....

Last edited by rattler; 01/21/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Arrive Wednesday afternoon, 13 March and leave Sunday morning, 17 March.

And you may want to PM those who expressed an interest in going with you. They may not see your post.

Looking forward to meeting you and the gang.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what would ya'll say to a mini-swap meet of sorts, when we're all there?

I have probably five to ten pounds of powder I am unlikely to use, probably some ammo, too, plus an Oehler 35P chrono. These things are not easily shipped and I'd offer them at reasonable prices/trades, if there's any interest.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i could really use a chrono.....not sure what i have to trade to bring along, what you looking for?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Arrive Wednesday afternoon, 13 March and leave Sunday morning, 17 March.

And you may want to PM those who expressed an interest in going with you. They may not see your post.

Looking forward to meeting you and the gang.

Steve

my train ticket out to Mark and back are booked, deposit sent in....pretty well set in stone ill be there short of me keeling over between now and then grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wait until you get to the Hog Hunt before you keel over.

That way you can join the other guys who are keeling over.

And anyone who has some CCI 450 primers, I would be glad to buy them. Can't find them at the expected places.

And I do like the idea of bringing stuff to sell or trade.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
i could really use a chrono.....not sure what i have to trade to bring along, what you looking for?

Good question. Let me make a list of what I have, or could use, and shoot you a PM.

Steve, I think I have some CCI-450's - will check tonight.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 01/21/13. Reason: last sentence

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
i have a almost new ballel. for a glock 10mm. if you need it. ken

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
barrel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I LOVE me some swap meets! Kind of a mini gun show, my preffered habitat.... <G>

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll miss seeing you all at the hog hunt this year as it's quite a collection of personalities and characters! At least I was able to have a good hunt with Leslie and others from the campfire in Wyoming this past Fall. I'm getting all of my guns cleaned up and put away in the gun safe as I'm heading down to IU med center, Indianapolis in the morning for prostate cancer surgery. They're also going to check out a nodule on my left lung found during a pre-surgery xray - 50% chance of that being cancerous. Good luck and have fun on the hog hunt. I was looking forward to slaying one of those hogs with a 41 mag! Les is coming home to watch me for a couple weeks. Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom will keep you in our prayers for healing..Take care.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayers sent Tom, and keep your spirits up!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 42 of 169 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 168 169

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.