Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by meddybemps
Damn, they are not listing anything othert han a .22 rimfire on their website......are the High Walls and Low Walls going the way of the Ruger No. 1?
They kind of always were. They were never produced in large numbers, usually in batches from what I could tell, and only in a few calibers.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Armymark
Man that is some sweet furniture! Cool caliber as well. Well done!

+1 on that!

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You surely won the wood lottery on that one Reloder28!!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! That is purdy!!

I've been wanting one of those for years, but just can't keep the scratch in my pocket long enough to make it happen.

.260 is the largest caliber chambered in the Browning version.
Not a lot of them made and owners report that the recoil can be "lively" due to the light weight.

The new Winchester offering in 6.5 Swede is tempting too!
They don't have the wood the Browning did, nor the glossy finish that many folks say they don't like... I personally love it because it brings out all that the wood has to offer.

Good catch, man! Color me jealous!! laugh

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yes very nice gun. I was watching that gun closely on GB and really thought it would go for more. I think you got a good deal on it. Enjoy.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of these Brownings for my dad about 10 years ago, It shoots 100 Bt's under 3/4" all the time, 120 Bt's under 1" and 95 VMAX to about 3/4". They are SWEET. Spendy now though. Last one I saw went for about $2K.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Saw one at a gun show in Detroit about a year ago... I THOUGHT the tag on it said $ 800, but much to my chagrin, it really said $1800 , I was making plans on buying it for a minute... Then the proverbial balloon got deflated... frown

I'll likely never own one now, that is, unless I have my .223 rebored... grin But if I did, I'd likely go 6.5 Creedmoor.... 1~8" twist... My 1885 Hi-Wall Winchester in .223 I had rechambered to .225 Win...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ashworth
Yes very nice gun. I was watching that gun closely on GB and really thought it would go for more. I think you got a good deal on it. Enjoy.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I paid the right price. But, I was going to make sure I got it!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I picked up one yesterday in 6.5x55, awesome rifle. Trying to decide on a scope. Didn't know it came with Talley base and rings.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Very nice low wall!

One of these guns is on my to own, long list. I like the style and proportions. Based on web reports they are shooters. I am currently fighting with a No1 and not planing to go down that road again. I do have couple questions.

1. How accurate have your 1885's shot right out of the box. Factory ammo - no messing around? How much hassle and exactly what is consistent 100yrd group size?

Any one care to share over all opinion on the BAD & GOOD?

Grasshopper How does your 223 shoot. you plan to rebore. Any complaints?

Any quirky differences from hi to low wall?

2. Is there a more slender scope base setup for this rifle. The ones I see on the web look like a couple of big square blocks. Anything lower and more graceful for such a sleek little rifle? Are those boxy basses Talley?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fourbore
Very nice low wall!

One of these guns is on my to own, long list. I like the style and proportions. Based on web reports they are shooters. I am currently fighting with a No1 and not planing to go down that road again.
Accuracy is a sometimes thing with #1's.

1. How accurate have your 1885's shot right out of the box.
I have only ever put reloads through my 1885's. They have all been one hole shooters with very little effort. I have never been frustrated with any of them at the shooting bench.

Any one care to share over all opinion on the BAD & GOOD?

Good: 1885's are the sleekest, most stylish rifles for my liking. No other rifle is as attractive to me. They are extremely accurate right out of the box. The trigger is user adjustable. If you like pretty wood you'll love the Browning. The Winchester is more entry level but it IS an 1885 all the same. The basic function is there.

Bad: Who'd have thunk such an old design would fetch such a price as it does today? The High Walls could be lighter. The Hammer Spur could be a little more sizable. It's hard to get a grip on with too thick of a glove. It also require mounting the scope higher than I prefer. I don't reckon JMB had scopes in mind when he designed the gun.

2. Is there a more slender scope base setup for this rifle. The ones I see on the web look like a couple of big square blocks. Anything lower and more graceful for such a sleek little rifle? Are those boxy basses Talley?

No, those square block bases are NOT Talley's. If you go to Winchester's website you can see the Talley base. It is sleek and demure with clean, sleek lines to compliment the rifle. I have one on my High Wall. My rings are medium to clear the hammer spur. But, the scope tube makes a good carrying handle.

What's not to like?!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Grasshopper, How does your 223 shoot. you plan to rebore. Any complaints?

fourbore,

My .223 Rem Lo-Wall remains unfired, as yet... And I don't have any plans to shoot it. I have other .223's, thus it's a moot point. I purchased it purely for a project gun. I have another, also N.I.B. in .22 Hornet, that I have plans to make a .25/20 or a .32/20... Cant' decide which... blush

Also own Browning Lo-Walls in .243 Win, and .22 K-Hornet. The K-Hornet shoots like a dream, and is one of my very favorite rifles for shortrange varminting or just playing around...

I haven't seen the new Talley mounts as yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on some... Gotta be better than those UGLY Burris bases that Browning used to sell.

Good: I like the stocks on the low-walls. I prefer a pistol/grip stock and a good recoil pad. Love the schnabel fore-end.

Also like the exposed hammer and the directional ejector guide, or stop... what ever one wishes. I've never had any issues with the triggers.

BAD: I believe it to be a waste of good wood on the ones with a cresent butte! ESPECIALLY on the heavier recoilers, i.e: .45/90, .405 Win, etc...

P.S: I also own B-78's in .300 H&H, and .405 Win (Currently in process). And I have 1885 Hi-walls in .225 Win. 7mm WSM, and .325 WSM. And .38/55...

Thus, overall, to say I like them would be an understatement... grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle.

Like to see pics of an actual Swede. For a sporter I'd rather forego the gloss on a hunting rifle, but DO like the wood on the Brownings, the grain was much better than the ads on the Winchester versions, perhaps they wised up and using similar grade wood as I'd never own one plain grained.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive feedback. I did not spend much time at the Winchester site, it appeared to be in mist of getting updated for 2013 line. I did request a paper catalog.

Like so many others, I learned the hard way about the crescent butt plates.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

The wood on both of my Winnie Lo-Walls are VERY plain. I've an idea about what I can do to spice them up. But I don't buy guns for pretty wood. I buy them for what they are. Of course, I like nice wood. But it seems the few I have with nice wood, just get left in the safe.

Thetorically, I buy or build my guns to use... But that is not always the case. Once I've hunted with a rifle and taken game, I pretty much lose interest in it... They rarely get used after that...

We all have different philosophys, I guess... grin

GH

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's rumored that the new Winchester Low Wall has a cartridge ejector, like the High Wall - as opposed to the extractor in the Browning version Low Wall.....?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
RL28, Agreed, I like that Talley base.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Conetrol mounts are the smallest I have used on my 1885s. the custums match the polished blue pretty well if that matters and they are really pretty minimal as far as size goes.

L
L
You got a nice one Reloader28.
That stock is the only one I have seen that even comes close to mine. I would say out of 1 to 10 we both got 9's
I bought mine in 97 I think. The gun shop had 5 in 260Rem. so I got to pick the one with the best wood. I bought it to take backpacking into the high country and hunt for mule deer and that is what I did with it and it shows it is about 80% now.
At the time it was hard to find ammo so I just necked up 243 or necked down 7mm-08 or 308win. With the 308win you have to neck turn them. It likes 44.3 grains of IMR 4831 with 140 grain Sierra boat tails.
Will make one ragged 5 round hole at 100yds. I have a standing offer for $2000 if I ever want to get rid of her.
They only made 285 of them in 260rem and I just love this rifle so I'm going to keep it.

Thanks for posting, it is nice to see another one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.