-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow how did I ever miss this story. Very humbling. My best to all that served.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It is a remarkable narrative with wonderful style and prose. It's one I believe should be added to/appended/finished with the author's second tour, and published.

I bookmarked it, and have read it over maybe a dozen times. It really is a gritty, raw look at a man's experiences and observations during war, and I'm grateful for the privilege of being able to take it in.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have noticed an endearing loyalty and support for veterans here at the 'Fire and I want to let you all know how deeply I appreciate the sentiment. It was Ronald Reagan who took the first bold step in honoring Vietnam vets from his high office. In a fashion it broke down a wall that had existed between us and the country at large for far too long.

In behalf of the many vets among us in general, and in particular those sentiments which so many of you have have expressed to me, I am humbled.

Thank you all!

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Speaking for myself only: to virtually all of the people of my age that I know and call friend, you guys ARE our heroes, Dan. I mean that.

I'll tell you this, too: had I, or any of the same men I'm talking about above, ever seen any of you returning servicemen getting any shyt from any protester, hippie or random stranger on the street, you wouldn't have had to have lifted a finger or worried about just being left be. They'd have been dealt with with the same amount of respect that they'd demonstrated to the men they were deriding--none. A proper face stomping can make for a drastic attitude adjustment. I know this to be fact.

That's something I never understood, BTW. It was an unpopular, divisive and brutal war, yes, one with 'atrocities' that also happened to be widely broadcast. Yet the fact that so many turned out to attack the soldiers, as if it was strictly up to them to wage war? Does not compute.

Lastly, nah man, thank *you*, and all the former servicemen here who served our nation*. Same goes for our boys today, wherever they be, in harm's way or not.

Look into getting it published, please.

Edit: sentiment is the same for all the men currently serving as well, obviously.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 11/27/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fantastic Stuff Dan, you really should consider publishing. j

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Amazing story, Amazing record of
"behind the scenes Vietnam"
I was 10 yrs old in 72' and remember....
Dad was career navy, and I, USMC.
Thank You for sharing these memories
Powerful words, Powerful images
and yes, when you find the time or need...
Please write of it. Some things need to be recorded
for ALL who follow.
Again, very humbly, Thank You

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first thought was that my father would love this story. But he passed on in 2005. He loved Vietnam stories he did a full tour over there and probably another year of time on TDY. He was air force loaded bombs on planes. It is kinda a weird how something like that marks a person. They would never want to do it again but yet it so much of there life that it almost seems like they miss it. When he did talk about it you could see a fire in his eyes and a little bit of that twenty something young man come back. Any one that served has my respect.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bump - I've just re-read this fantastic story. If you missed it first time around, don't miss it this time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan and I met , face to face , finally, a coupla' days ago, and was the "Longest Distance Traveled" winner at The Desert Rat's third annual reunion .

We did a little feasting, drinking, shooting, and yarn spinning .

He headed out for his home place today, mid morning.

Having the fellow here was a lot of fun, and a distinct HONOR.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I hope to be honored in the same way myself. Good to hear you boys got together. Pour a couple of fingers of something for me for yourselves. Cyber round on me. wink

Good to have this thread bumped too. Epic.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope to be honored in the same way myself.

Any time, L.

The weather really played in our favor, this time.

Saying, "A good time was had by all" would be trite.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I hope to be honored in the same way myself.

Any time, L.

The weather really played in our favor, this time.

Saying, "A good time was had by all" would be trite.

GTC

Um, I was talking about Dan...

grin whistle grin

Hey, ya gotta' swing at a meatballs when tossed! smile But to be serious for a sec, thanks, Oops-san. We'll get a plan going. Glad that you lads are having fun at play at your fort. Lots of pics when you can, please. Some of Gracie too, please. wink

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks DD for writing this. And thanks is as close as I can come, but still fails to express the appreciation for the sacrifices made by you and your compatriots in arms, and all of your families.

And that to Mike for bumping it to the top as I was offline while this was going around earlier.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once these gigs are rolling, I have a hard time even THINKING of grabbing a camera, and am going to have to work on rectifying that shortfall.

"elkhunterNM's" lady got a GREAT pic of Gracie hamming it up, ....I hope she'll post it.

Give it a day, ....once everybody's home and dry, I'll bet some pics will be posted.

GTC

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Right on. Thankee bud.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I hope she DOES, my friend!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had the chance to meet Dan a couple years back in my homestate while back visiting family. His stories are fantastic!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Holly Cow Dan,
Im on chapter 14 after starting at 350 am today. What a read. I will be showing this to my son who is a great reader and a fan of US history.
Thank you From My Whole Family for YOUR SERVICE!

ps.. I read "Chicken Hawk" in high school back in the 80's working at a local grocery nights. I love helicopters. This is better by a long shot.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting. Good writing IMO. I liked the parts about Wolters. I was going to say Dad was stationed at Wolters when he met Mom, but he wasn't, he was at Camp Houwse (sp?), near there. He was at Wolters at some point though. Did you ever stay at the Baker Hotel? Did you ever meet Colonel Herbert during your Southeast Asia adventures?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Excellent read, Dan!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.