Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd sell the .375 and rebarrel the M70 with a lighter contour stainless barrel and put it in a trim/light syntetic stock. Oh yeah...that rebarrel would be to a .375. laugh

HR IC

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Whitworth was built on a Zastava commercial 98 action made in the former Yugoslavia. You have a reasonably early one with the barrel band sling mount and Oberndorf magazine release. All these earlier Whitworth/Mark X mausers I've seen are pretty slick inside as they are. Later ones with the push button release and forearm swivel stud were about as nice. Unfortunately Interarms went the way of the conservative democrat and no longer exists. Charles Daly began the import of the Zastavas and they were not quite as well finished as the Interarms Mark X variants. Then as Daly went the way of Interarms and conservative democrats Remington saw fit to begin import at an increased price and decreased, very decreased, quality of fit and finish. Remington named their adopted child the 798 and dressed it in a fitfully ugly stock. Some of those I've handled made sand being ground between two mill bastard files seem smooth. Now the same action can be had by another importer though I forget the name right now. A good number of folks here at the fire shared in a special order of left-handed Zastava rifles fairly recently and shared quite a number of photos of not only the Mauser 98 variant but also the Mini-Mauser that I've been told is a fair replica of the Vixen. Here's some views of the current Zatavas:

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=230

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd let the 416 go if it were my choice

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aside from the Jacksonville Zoo, not many elephumps in N Fla. Think I'd sell both for the good they are to you and pretend I kept the Whitworth.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GeoW
Aside from the Jacksonville Zoo, not many elephumps in N Fla. Think I'd sell both for the good they are to you and pretend I kept the Whitworth.
How do you know one won't escape the Jacksonville Zoo and go on a rampage? Hhmm? wink

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
How do you know one won't escape the Jacksonville Zoo and go on a rampage? Hhmm? wink

My logic exactly! grin

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's nothing special or collectible about either of the rifles so I would sell both and either put the money into something you can use now, or put the money away to start a "Trip to Africa" fund. Then, buy the rifle you will really need for now or for Africa later.
Most guys who go to Africa don't usually shoot dangerous game on their first trip anyway, so a .375 or larger really isn't needed until at least your 2nd Africa trip. (hope you're following my logic so you can start planning your first future Africa trip) smile

You can always buy a 375 or larger rifle, they haven't stopped making them. And, if you really want to have that Big Bore to brag about (who doesn't?), go buy something that will demand attention like a nice Pre 64 model 70 .375 or 458 or something else with some inherent interest.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Why would you need one? Who the hell would want to kill an elephant? Too much meat and I hear it taste like crap. I am not a tree huggin SOB but I really dont see the alure? They are amazing creatures and there numbers are trickling away. Keep the H&H and put it to use...

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sheister
There's nothing special or collectible about either of the rifles so I would sell both and either put the money into something you can use now, or put the money away to start a "Trip to Africa" fund. Then, buy the rifle you will really need for now or for Africa later.
Most guys who go to Africa don't usually shoot dangerous game on their first trip anyway, so a .375 or larger really isn't needed until at least your 2nd Africa trip. (hope you're following my logic so you can start planning your first future Africa trip) smile

You can always buy a 375 or larger rifle, they haven't stopped making them. And, if you really want to have that Big Bore to brag about (who doesn't?), go buy something that will demand attention like a nice Pre 64 model 70 .375 or 458 or something else with some inherent interest.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Bob
A friend of mine about fifteen years ago did precisely that, i.e., sold nearly his entire collection of firearms to fund an African safari. No dangerous game, but some very large plains game species. He came back with quite a lot of pictures and memories. He used a .340 Weatherby Magnum.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Freezerfiller
Why would you need one? Who the hell would want to kill an elephant? Too much meat and I hear it taste like crap. I am not a tree huggin SOB but I really dont see the alure? They are amazing creatures and there numbers are trickling away. Keep the H&H and put it to use...
Actually, whether elephants' numbers are waxing or waning depends entirely on the hunting policies of the area. Where folks are permitted to make a profit on selling elephant hunts, they're as common as rats. Where governments prohibit profiting through the selling of elephant hunts (and in fact outlaw elephant hunting altogether), their numbers are fading fast due to poaching and there being no one around with a profit motive to deter it.

Think about chickens. Were there no lawful profit to be made in chickens, there might be a small and fading population of them in Asia somewhere running around wild. Because there's a lawful profit to be made in them, they are among the most numerous vertebrates on the planet.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now chickens is different... There are some Rhode Island Reds that I wouldn't tackle with anything less than the 416... Your call wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Now chickens is different... There are some Rhode Island Reds that I wouldn't tackle with anything less than the 416... Your call wink
grin Don't I know it. Trip and fall among a hungry flock of them and getting back up again with any flesh left on your bones is about a fifty-fifty proposition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you have in fact "seen the elephant".

grin

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Sounds like you have in fact "seen the elephant".

grin
grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chickens (more roosters) can be mean... I say you need a self defense .375 H&H... grin

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
am in the midst of paring down my firearms collection

Sell the 416, keep a 223, 30-06 and the 375 H&H. grin

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CRS
am in the midst of paring down my firearms collection

Sell the 416, keep a 223, 30-06 and the 375 H&H. grin
That covers a lot of ground, right there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ditch the Winchester. In my occasionally humble opinion .416s start and end with the Rigby. HAD a .416 Rem...went down the road.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well since nobody has pointed out the obvious, I guess it's up to me. When the zombie elephant apocalypse is at hand, .375 will be much easier to come by. Keep the .375. wink smirk

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of these are only medium-heavy rifles,more for a the Buff than a Elephant. Really big ones start at .458 and ,470NE...
Sell the one you are least likely to ever use. I've shot deer with a .375..neat bullet hole and no busted up meat.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.