Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a digital camera (Olympus 4040Z) and was wondering if someone could help me with a question I have. I want to save the pictures to my harddrive then store on a CD-R. What format do they need to be stored in to show them on my TV through a DVD player? What capablity would the DVD need. What program is need to save to the CD-R in the correct format? I've gotten different answers at the stores and have found nothing on the net.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>Rick....

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Rick
<br>I don't have an exact answer for you, but I'm in a similar situation. I am about to order a new computer. One of the things I want it to do is convert my 8mm video to DVD. This is very easy with the correct video editing software and a DVD-RW. I don't know if a CD made in a CD-RW will play in a DVD as I have not tried it. I am going to have a DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive so I can write to either. I have seen Phillips is making a DVD player that has the ability to record also. You might take a look at one and see what type of input it allows. It may ony be analog audio and video, but may take digital as well.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,
<br>
<br>I couldn't get the subject off my mind today so I located and serched a photo forum for info. After severa times of serch wording I found a question on the same subject. The solution is to buy a DVD that will read Kodak picture CD's (.JPG files). Who made such an animal? The posting stated that Wal-mart carries the Ampex 1100W which reads Kodak files, plus about everything a basic DVD player should, at a price of $68.
<br>I also found a sight that reviews DVD's. Of over 300 players, I only found a GE, 2 JVC's and 2 Ampex players that could read the Kodak or .JPG files. With the increase in digital camera owners, I would think this would be a very useful feature to look for. I'm surprised that there are not more players with the feature.
<br>
<br>Sorry, I'm not much help on your question. I did find that a DVD can read from 2 to about 8 formats. If you have need of a specific one you need to do your homework as each player is differant (CD, DVD, CD-R, CD-RW,VCD, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD-RW....JPG ).
<br>
<br>Good luck and thanks for the reply,
<br>Rick....

Rick...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hi guys.
<br>
<br>I know that walmart has at least 2 that will work for showing your photo cd on your TV.
<br>One is a GE that runs about $98 and the other is called ampex for about $69
<br>
<br>Remember to look for "JPG" or "JEPG" on the box. thay also sometimes refer to it as "photo CD".
<br>
<br>odd that the cheeper models seem to be the ones that have this feature.
<br>
<br>As for a DVD burner you best bet is to hold off for a while. We are in the age of the compeating DVD formats right now and you could end up with the "batamax". Hope you are old enough to know what I mean.
<br>There hasnt been a standerd set for burnning DVD yet so the program you buy may not run on anything in 3 years.
<br>
<br>Better to make CD'S to archive your photos for now. and wate for the dust to settel on the DVD war.
<br>
<br>lewis

Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I stopped at Wally-World (Wal-Mart) on the way home and bought an Apex-1100. It is cheaply made but does a fine job of showing the .jpg files. You just copy your pictures to a CD-R and stick it in the DVD. You can even put them in folders. It seems to size the picture to the sceen size. You can rotate and zoom. Works great for viewing on the 36" TV in the family room rather than around the computer in the junk room. Should pay for itself in saved printing costs. If you have a digital camera you need a DVD that reads .jpg files, it's GREAT.
<br>
<br>Rick....

Rick...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you guys! I had no idea that jpg CD's could be read by any DVD player. I just had to replace one and bought a fairly inexpensive one. Started banging my head when I read this thread -- until I looked at the new DVD and saw it takes picture cds!!!!!
<br>
<br>I store most of my photos on CD and tried it out. Works great! Yeee Hawwwww!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.