Campfire Tracker
P
Shiloh hands down

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's pretty much a no loose choice. But what the hell.
1. Shiloh is at least as good as CSharps and maybe better, definitely not worse.
2. For service - ditto above
3. For resale - ditto above
4. Shiloh donates more rifles to shooting matches as prizes, donates a rifle to a lucky American veteran annually
5. Shiloh raffles rifles from time to time to support other good causes that they choose to assist with.
6. CSharps probably does some of that same charitable work but it's not so obvious. Perhaps because they are a smaller outfit but ...

It's really really hard to not jump for a Shiloh, unless you find a significant price difference in the particular configuration you are looking for.

Last edited by BrentD; 01/24/13.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Shiloh on order. Their workmanship is excellent.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it is C. Sharps Arms all the way. C. Sharps does donate rifles at matches too, they donated a rifle for a youth at Quigley. Delivery time at C. Sharps is much faster and they've always been much more willing to talk to me, explaining what they offer. C. Sharps Arms uses Badger barrel and that's is a good positive thing to say. And, in addition to their Model of 1874, C. Sharps Arms also has the High Wall and the Hepburn plus their 1875 Sharps. You get more options with C. Sharps Arms.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks 303. I did not know that about CSharps.

They are both great rifles. You really can't go far wrong here.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The C sharps stocks are a bit "fuller" than the Shiloh.
As to quality no real difference.
Best to own at least one of each.

My personal preference is for Shiloh, but that's got more to do with the stocks feel better and fit me better than my C Sharps does.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
Pro/Con me on the Big Timber makers.

Shiloh...Montana Roughrider, .45-70, 30" bbl, MVA Mid-Range Soule, Hadley Eyecup, Globe Front sight w/level. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
What are you wanting to do with it?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
What are you wanting to do with it?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never heard of a Shiloh owner parting with a rifle to acquire a C Sharps or Pedersoli (sp?). Folks often take the reverse route though.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Ranch, Your comment about the stocks surprises me just a little. Back when you were running around Fort Bridger, C. Sharps Arms was the custom shop for Shiloh and their custom stocking was superb. It still is. And I do have a Shiloh too, it's one of their early percussions. We'll have to shoot it sometime.
And Brent, let me say "You're welcome." Both Shiloh and C. Sharps are great rifles. If you want to drool a bit, look at the C. Sharps website in their "in stock gallery" at the guns just wanting for buyers. No waiting time for those.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are three of us I know of just several weeks from delivery after almost a two year wait,all three are Shilohs.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Does John Schoffstahl still own C. Sharps? Or, did he finally sell it? Awhile back,I remember seeing ads that C. Sharps was for sale.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have it on good authority it's still for sale and has been for quite some time.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike, there's a slight differences in the wrist especially the pistol gripped guns, and in the forearm's, and a big difference in the cheek piece on models so equipped.
Still very hard to go wrong with either rifle, and a person really needs one of each. grin

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've never heard of a Shiloh owner parting with a rifle to acquire a C Sharps or Pedersoli (sp?). Folks often take the reverse route though.

I know a fella that sold off a quite extensive number of Shiloh's and replaced them with C Sharps, and he keeps saying "this one is the last one", but.... seems like about once or twice a year he's going on about just getting back from picking this rifle up at C Sharps....

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flyboy, That sounds like a long wait to me. Last year I went off of the deep end and ordered two 74's from C. Sharps Arms, both with custom features. I already have them both and I'm very pleased with those rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you really want to see the difference, tour both places. There is not near as much to behold at C. Sharps. On the other hand, if you visit Shiloh, you can see every aspect of the production of the rifle from start to finish. Shiloh manufactures all their own parts, including the receivers/barrels.

C. Sharps does sell a nice rifle, Shiloh builds a nicer rifle. There is a reason for the wait on a Shiloh and it isn't because they are slow. Demand has everything to do with the availability and Shiloh leads that category.

I could own either, I have more than 1 Shiloh, no C. Sharps. If someone gave me a C.Sharps, however, I wouldn't throw it away...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Guys,

FYI, Badger Barrel no longer exists so C Sharps can't be using Badger barrels unless they have some old blanks in stock.

In 2009 the assets of Badger Barrels were acquired by the Principals of Airtronic USA. The company was renamed Badger Defense, LLC and continued to supply barrels for various US military weapons and also to nations friendly to the United States.
In 2012 Wilson Arms Co. purchased all the assets of Badger Defense Company, formerly known as Badger Barrels. The new facility is now known as The Wilson Arms Company � Bristol (Bristol, Wisconsin). Wilson Arms Co. is a high volume barrel supplier with minimum order requirements of 100 barrels.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.