24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
For overnights, what is that one food item(s) that goes in the pack regardless of weight? Logic be damned. For me it's canned Habitant French Canadian Yellow Pea Soup.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing canned makes its way into the ultralight pack. That's just too dmned heavy.

I do put a "king size" snickers in the pack. We (wife, son and I) always celebrate sheep, goat, elk etc. success with the snickers.

Everything else is dried berries, oatmeal, powdered Gatorade and other ultralight fare.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by broomd
Nothing canned makes its way into the ultralight pack. That's just too dmned heavy.

I do put a "king size" snickers in the pack. We (wife, son and I) always celebrate sheep, goat, elk etc. success with the snickers.

Everything else is dried berries, oatmeal, powdered Gatorade and other ultralight fare.

Canned tuna or chicken is hardly any heavier than the foil pak. I buy what is available. Also, the lightest foods will be those with water removed, which typically take water to reconstitute, which sometimes must be carried, and more fuel to cook, which must be carried, if you aren't burning wood.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/25/13. Reason: spellin'
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
For an overnighter, a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli goes in the pack. A pack for an overnight trip with a can of ravioli in it still weighs a lot less than a pack with a week's worth of supplies.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've always had a thing for a big can of peaches ever since I saw Steve McQueen eating some in a scene from the movie "Nevada Smith".

Set in a cold creek in the summer time, nothing is sweeter, colder and more refreshing to my whole soul than a big can of cold peaches, not even a beer smile

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
1) A Nalgene flask of scotch. In the spirit of ultralight, I have multiple sizes. When you're sore enough, the weight is meaningless--even if the circular logic isn't.
2) Regular peanut butter. I tried dehydrated. Once.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First nights dinner is always my homemade Elk/Deer/Bear Polish sausage. Its worth the weight! Also fry bread and pancake mix, its worth the weight of a frying pan.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Canned tuna or chicken is hardly any heavier than the foil pak. I buy what is available. Also, the lightest foods will be those with water removed, which typically take water to reconstitute, which sometimes must be carried, and more fuel to cook, which must be carried, if you aren't burning wood.

Good point...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jockc
1) A Nalgene flask of scotch. In the spirit of ultralight, I have multiple sizes. When you're sore enough, the weight is meaningless--even if the circular logic isn't.

Glad I'm not the only one. Make mine Pendelton.

I pack a lot of weird stuff. Dried apricots are heavy, but they are a nice change from mountain house. Olive oil is actually pretty light for the calories it contains. I just try to eat the heavy stuff early so I'm not carrying it around forever...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's nothing like a good beef steak grilled over a campfire 5 miles from the road. MMMMMMMM If you play it right, you don't have to carry your pack to the camp site and you'll have all the steaks you can eat.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^I'm going with Rock Chuck^^ next time! And he has llamas to carry out the leftovers!
Actually for just an overnighter I don't think weight is an issue at all. But for unnecessary weight carried I'll go with cheese and some salami. Both heavy. Add some of those little wine boxes and I'm golden!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We did a backpack trip when I was in high school with a bunch of folks. A buddy and I packed steaks, eggs, cast iron skillets, several pounds of black licorice, a 5-man dome tent....

We learned a lot on that trip. Looking back, I've become a big pussy.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A couple of Mountain House meals, powdered Gator Aid, chocolate, some Granola and I am good to go. !

Last edited by Elkmen; 01/25/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by broomd

You didn't ask, but we typically camp near water! Our sheep cam p which is the same year after year, has a spring where we camp.
Kodiak is also a good example, water is everywhere up high where we goat and deer hunt. The last thing one needs to worry about is water.

We do have hunts that are exceptions (Idaho elk and deer), but not usually.
A squeeze bottle to purify and life is good...
Plus we burn our garbage and foil wrapped food doesn't burn well or at all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys would love this guy I hiked with years ago. We took my oldest son, about 10 at the time, and he took his 2 kids about the same age. We hiked in about 5 miles on an old mining road. My boy carried his own bed but my friend had to carry 3 sleeping bags because they were too heavy for the kids. After supper, he broke out dessert - all the fixings for a cheese cake. He had a graham cracker crust, the fixings for a simple cheese cake....and a huge can of cherry pie filling to go on top.
It's no wonder I could hear his knees popping from 200 yds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Rocks and Fosters lager beer, my kids taught me 4 years ago to always check you pack as we were along lake Superior and they found some cool rocks that they smartly stuffed in dads pack unknowingly for the trek out.

I've since used their idea to put Fosters oil cans hidden in their pack for dad and they have packed it in and I put them in the ice cold stream and laugh the whole time I'm drinking them.

Kids do teach much if ones eyes are open.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For overhighters and weekend (2-night) trips that aren't long or steep, I like to bring some prime filets and red potatoes, a little olive oil/rosemary, and some foil, along with a Purcell Trench grill. Nothing like a steak grilled over an open fire with roasted potatoes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Food that's worth backpacking with:
-Tastes good when your body is wasted; this is usually different for everyone, and is not necessarily the same as what tastes good on the average trail day
-Nutrient dense enough to dig your body out of the hole you put it in

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
polychoke:

Like most people my backpacking food is mostly freeze-dried and dehydrated. But ocasionally I do carry some "full strength" stuff.

I like chocolate. When the going gets tough, the tough eat a Hershey bar. I also will ocasionally take some summer sausage and some of those little Baby Bell cheese balls wrapped in wax. I like to take Cup-O-Noodles. Yes it's dehydrated but the hot salty broth tastes great when you are hot and tired and thirsty. I have, on rare ocasions, carried an orange or apple or a small can of fruit.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like to throw apples in my pack. Don't really spoil, can eat on the go, and the core is fun to feed to birds and squirrels. ..can't go wrong with food and a little entertainment.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beef Jerky, small packs of tuna, and Zip lock bag full Honey Nut Cheerios mixed with walnuts. Main meals are usually Mountain House. These items go with me on nearly every hunt.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.