Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
great shooting rifle!

i still think you should try the 530 ball and .018 patch.

I just did 2" at 100 yards with a cva hawken 32" 58cal.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The CVA gun i'm talking about was at one time made in the US, and used Douglas barrels. Even though the gun was made here. The company CVA is a Spanish company. I'd say the profits went to them, and not the US.

when CVA used Douglas barrels , it wasn�t a Spanish owned company .
now i could be wrong but CVA had never been Spanish owned tell BPI bought it out the last time around.
But lets remember that CVA is an importer not a maker . Just like Lyman , investment arms , Traditions ��..

As for rust .
Like dan , it only takes me a few patches to clean and oil the bores of my guns .
The key is to use a good oil in the bore . Simply put , you cant use to much .
Soak the patch and swab the barrel . Repeat a couple times to insure you get a good coverage in the bore then put the gun away . don�t run a dry patch after . Just leave the oil in there .
On two of my guns I use Remington Rem oil or break free when I have it close .
On my hand forged iron barreled rifle , I use Mink oil . I have had that rifle for over 20 years . The only pitting in the bore is from when I was stupid enough to use a TC product in it for a couple of years .
After bringing the barrel back and beginning a regiment of proper oiling , the barrel shows no more signs of rusting . Now does that mean there isn�t alittle brown color on the patch when I swab the bore prior to shooting . No , there is a little. But that�s IMO because a lot of oils turn brown when they have set for a time and began to dry out . But I don�t get what you showed on your first patch . Basically its nothing more then a slight tan color and mostly showing only in the rifling where the oil is the thickest

Now why do I bring that up . Well because your barrel is a Douglas barrel . What that means is
a) its an extruded barrel
b) it has a higher iron content then the barrels made today .
IE the more iron the mores subject to rust it will be .
That doesn�t mean however that you have to accept rust in the bore , You don�t .
Right now what your fighting is bringing the barrel back . Once you get through all the clean up and begin to regularly maintain the barrel , you going to find you see less and less flash rust in the bore .
Tell then any oil/ lube you put down the bore is going to continue loosening up and drawing the rust away from the bore every time you run a cleaning patch . that�s a good thing .
What you don�t want to see is the patches with more and more rust on them

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I found this cap. Not my words, but it seems CVA and BPI are one and the same, and has always been Spanish.

Before you shoot off an email to me stating that CVA is still in business, you should understand that after a somewhat disastrous foray into the manufacture and sale of some poorly designed and constructed inline muzzle loaders, CVA became the target of a number of lawsuits from people who were injured as result of firing these rifles. To legally separate itself from this problem, the management of CVA created a new company called Blackpowder Products Inc in 1999 to which it transferred CVA's assets including the brand name but not its liabilities.

The CVA brand is now just a tradename used by BPI Outdoors, a wholely owned subsidary of a foreign corporation based in Spain.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have fund that Mobil Synthetic 0 to -20 degrees automotive oil works beter tha any gun oil I have used.It wets better,does not turn sticky with age and most of all,does not get thick in cold temps.Probably not much of aworry with a ML,butit is a good all around firearm oil.

BTW, I store all my firearms with muzzle down to keep any oil from migrating into the woodstocks.I'mn ot fan of synthetic stocks.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yes BPI now owns CVA . but it did not always own cva . when CVA used Douglas barrels , it was a US owned company .
it has always been an importer NOT a builder .
it should also be noted that there has been many companies called CVA which dates back to the mid 19th century here in the US .
what the current CVA company did was simply in so many words , transfer its interests and became BPI .
Which isn�t uncommon today . Remington isn�t owned by Remington . Winchester isn�t own by Winchester . They simply are subs of subs .
BPI is now the parent company of CVA . Which replaced or at least had Jukar build their guns . Very much like Adesa does for traditions .
Very much like Thompson being owned by S&W which also has a parent company called Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (SWHC)
Prior to that it was owned by Tomkins Corporation. Which was a British company an affiliate of U.K.-based Tomkins PLC.
Prior to that it was owned by Lear Siegler . Before that it was as I recall ,Bangor Punta

If we want to we can even go down to as far as who owns the largest % of shares and thus controlling interests in any of these companies.
Would it surprise you to learn that a lot of the time those interests are foreign companies , probably not

Last edited by captchee; 02/11/13.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Read it again Cap. CVA changed their name to BPI. CVA and BPI are one and the same.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
BPI owns CVA. CVA does not own BPI - they are not the same. BPI also owns other companies. The differences may just be on paper but that is true all over the business world.

WHUT?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Underclocked
BPI owns CVA. CVA does not own BPI - they are not the same. BPI also owns other companies. The differences may just be on paper but that is true all over the business world.

I used to think that too. Now, i'm not sure. It makes sense that CVA would want to get out of all the law suits.

BPI started in business in 1999. It could be CVA starting the company as has been said, and kept the CVA name for guns. Then went on to buy other companies.

Not sure, but I see no proof that it couldn't have happened that way.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 02/11/13.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes it can happen that way . Companies do it every day . Small business does it when they Incorporate.
Corporations do it when they sell out a controling interest.
Again CVA has never been a maker just an importer

By Dudley McGarity, CEO of BPI

As the CEO of Blackpowder Products, Inc. (BPI), I�d like to provide you with my perspective into what has become �the CVA muzzleloader story� on this website. Over the past several years, right here on Guns and Shooting Online, you may have noticed some articles that presented an extremely negative picture of both Blackpowder Products, Inc. and our CVA muzzleloading brand. Most of these relate to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc.�s 1997 Voluntary Recall. These articles were written from an outsider�s point of view, using only the information that was available to outsiders. Here, as an insider, I would simply like to provide some clarity as to what happened in the past and some insight into what CVA is today (in 2010).

First, as for the past, back in 1997, Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. did initiate a Voluntary Recall of one design of an in-line gun that was made in 1995 and 1996. Most of these guns were sold under the model name of Apollo, but there were also various other names. All, however, can be identified by a serial number that ends in -95 or -96. Unfortunately, both before and after the recall was issued, a number of people were injured with these guns. However, Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. took responsibility at that time by issuing the recall and by settling virtually all of the claims related to the recall guns.

Today, BPI (the current owner of the CVA brand) is continuing the recall effort in an attempt to find all of these guns. So far, about 96% of the approximately 55,000 recalled guns have been accounted for. The CVA Voluntary Recall remains in effect and BPI continues to mention this in our CVA catalogs and on our CVA web page. We will continue to do so until every recall gun is found. Other than the Voluntary Recall of these 1995 and 1996 guns, no other CVA gun model has ever been recalled for any reason.

Last edited by captchee; 02/12/13.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.