-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
F
Not a big fan of Partitions anymore. I've hand loaded them in in various weights up to 250 gr. with varying results. On my only guided hunt ever many years ago, the guide called them "trackers", because they had to track a lot of elk shot with them. I think your limiting factor will be a shoulder shot. I'd rather have a heavier bullet for that reason, particularly if it's the only shot you have. I shoulder shot an elk at 75 yards with a 338 with a 210 gr partition and it did not break through the shoulder. The second shot did drop it like a rock through the spine. It really is up to the shot and shooter, but if you are off just a little, give me that 180 gr. in a 30-06 any day.
I do love their old "solid base" (discontinued) bullet for shooting deer. Best shots of my life were with that bullet.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd like to see the elk shoulder that could stop a 210 .338 Partition.

Have broken the big joint on a good-sized 6x6's shoulder with a 200-grain Partition from a .300 Winchester Magnum--and the bullet exited the rear of the ribcage. The range was 75 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
On my only guided hunt ever many years ago, the guide called them "trackers", because they had to track a lot of elk shot with them. I think your limiting factor will be a shoulder shot. I'd rather have a heavier bullet for that reason, particularly if it's the only shot you have. I shoulder shot an elk at 75 yards with a 338 with a 210 gr partition and it did not break through the shoulder.

Horse poop smelling strong here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Sign me up for that too! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Add me to the signature line!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Maybe if the bullet drilled a tree trunk on the way!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudhen

Add me to the signature line!

I think he was smoking something...I'd like to see that one...Sign me up too..... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
On my only guided hunt ever many years ago, the guide called them "trackers", because they had to track a lot of elk shot with them. I think your limiting factor will be a shoulder shot. I'd rather have a heavier bullet for that reason, particularly if it's the only shot you have. I shoulder shot an elk at 75 yards with a 338 with a 210 gr partition and it did not break through the shoulder.

Smelt more like BS to me.....I've shot thru elk shoulders with my 250 gr. sierra gamekings out of my 338 win mag. The 210 partition is a MUCH stronger pill....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Have broken the big joint on a good-sized 6x6's shoulder with a 200-grain Partition from a .300 Winchester Magnum--and the bullet exited the rear of the ribcage. The range was 75 yards.

Me too!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dobetown

Me too!

Me three.

I've broken the shoulder on an Arizona elk, a 9' B&C grizzly, and a 60" Alaska moose with the 210 gr Partition. If there is a more reliable bullet for BIG North American biggame, I haven't seen it.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Firestorm
Not a big fan of Partitions anymore. I've hand loaded them in in various weights up to 250 gr. with varying results. On my only guided hunt ever many years ago, the guide called them "trackers", because they had to track a lot of elk shot with them. I think your limiting factor will be a shoulder shot. I'd rather have a heavier bullet for that reason, particularly if it's the only shot you have. I shoulder shot an elk at 75 yards with a 338 with a 210 gr partition and it did not break through the shoulder. The second shot did drop it like a rock through the spine. It really is up to the shot and shooter, but if you are off just a little, give me that 180 gr. in a 30-06 any day.
I do love their old "solid base" (discontinued) bullet for shooting deer. Best shots of my life were with that bullet.

Don't doubt you saw what you saw....but bullets can at times deflect and take a screwy course through game animals,which might be what happened in the case you witnessed.

In general I've seen the 210 Partition do some great work on elk and black bear,so long as it was placed properly...and I've killed a pretty fair number of elk with 160 gr 7mm,180 and 200 gr 30 caliber bullets and some have been shoulder shot.

Certainly more than enough to know that if you have to do a lot of tracking to find an elk hit properly with a Partition, one of two things is absolutely true: He wasn't hit properly....or he wasn't hit at all.

Point is an example of one can't lead to many reliable conclusions.

It's somewhat humorous to me that some people think they have rediscovered the wheel and found some little known fault with a design that has been used successfully on every major BG species worldwide since the 40's...like they now have discovered something no one else has in the preceeding 60+ years....usually this is based on an example of "one" on their (likely) only elk hunt.

You do read some funny stuff on the Internet... smirk

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Shot at 75-100 yards with a .338 RUM 210 NP at a starting velocity of 3200,high shoulder shot as can be seen by the hole in shoulder.
[Linked Image]
Dropped in tracks and went through other shoulder also.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
About 25 years ago, I shot a bull through both shoulders with the .210 grain Nosler Partition shot from a .338 Win Mag, from about 200 yards. The bullet exited, so I have no idea what it looked like. The bull, after taking one of these through the lungs, was about to follow a few cows into a steep ravine...hence the shoulder shot to stop him.

I hear alot of gack about Partitions that frankly is not born out by my experience with them. They have been superbly reliable in my humble hunting career.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
regarding the 210 NP comment I often wonder if it's a matter of too much speed and not enough momentum. to wit, i would consider the 200 NP for elk; great aerodynamics and a ton of momentum.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
elkhunternm,

with an elk' physiology, did that shot break the spine or just what happened there?

The way life should be.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
elkhunternm: Bet that one didn't need much tracking... wink smile

bluefish: Penetration with Partitions is pretty much due to design,construction,jacket thickness,as much as SD.While the 210 is shorter than other 338 Partitions,it's a tough bullet and will handle elk bones at high velocity,like 3150-3200 fps MV.I have seen it used in the 340 Weatherby by a companion quite a bit.

I recall one bull at 250 yards or so that took one on the point of the shoulder...he was erased...one of those DRT's we all like to see. smile

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

That is just stupid! Yeah those Nosler Partitions are junk, jou should go to Walmart and buy some Coreloks. The .338 just bounces off elk, whatever.....

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bob,

I've read what you wrote before as the argument for the 210 NP as the beau ideal in the 338-06 since it's lower (compared to the win mag) velocities combined with it's fairly tough construction create a deeper penetrating bullet. However, I was wondering aloud if hitting big bones can perhaps cause such a bullet to not act as one may hope.

I'm going to start working up a load in the next week or so for the 260 AB in my 375 and see if I can make a do-all NA load with a sight in distance of 200 yards. Plenty of power lines around here I can experiment on once I'm loaded up.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bluefish all I can say is it has penetrated fine on anything I've seen it used on,including busting up the pelvis on another bull elk....that's the biggest animal I have seen it used on.

Would it fail to penetrate anything larger? I don't know... frown confused

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
bob,

for no good reason that 338-06 in a M70 platform with a 24 or 25" barrel in an Echols Legend strikes me as a darned good setup for Western elk/muley hunting. lots of pokey and all in a package weighing what a standard 06 would weigh. what's not to like there, huh? curious if say a 225 AB may be a better flyer for a general elk rig?

The way life should be.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,936
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.