Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have killed a boat load of deer with plain jane 150 gr. Core-lokts. Switched to Federal Blue Box a couple of years ago and have had no issues with those either.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have come to the 30 rather late in life and have killed two deer with it. First was drt from a horndy 165gr btsp and this year I used a 150 gr power point. Had an experience similar to goalie described above but mine did not fall at the shot and he only went about 30 yds but I too held my fire when I could see the blood gushing. A good cup and core bullet of appropriate weight is all you need.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Adirondackbushwhack
Many years ago I switched to a .444 and left those problems behind. . 444 in any factory ammo drops them like a bag of rocks. Dont have to worry about what ammo to use.

Same thing with a .45-70. When lung shot, Stevie Wonder could follow the not-so-long blood trail. It helps when they leak out of two �" holes. Hit the running gear and down they go.

I've killed numerous deer with a .308, and the only phroblem I've had was a poor bullet choice, changed that and all is good.

The 45/70 was on my final list of possibles back when I went with the 444. At that time I didn't reload and the factory ammo for the 45/70 at that time was anemic or I might easily have settled on it over the 444. However the 444 performs so well on deer and bear I've never felt a desire to switch.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Aim for the exit hole. Pretty simple really.

Took me a season or 2 to figure that out as a kid. Started to sink in in once we moved away form buckshot to slugs and especially ML (basically 44mag handgun ballistics at the time)

With big soft slow lead I shoot, aiming BTS/low lung, deer running more than 50 yards after the hit is very rare. Most being well under that. Blood trails are copious as a rule.

I think the last 4 or 5 have been DRT as I have been shifting POA up, trying out the shoulder shot.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Searched for 3 hours yesterday with a dog. Nothing. I hunted close to there yesterday afternoon and heard the coyotes about 600 yards from where we last spotted him. I'm thinking they may have gotten after him and caught him in the swamp. Going in at lunch where I heard the coyotes.
When I shot him, he hunched up and went 20 or so yards, then stopped and swayed. I was watching thru the scope thinking another shot wasn't necessary, that he was about to fold. After 30 seconds or so, I thought "let's end this now" and popped another in what I thought was lung. We got lung blood for a while, then all the blood stopped. I'm just sick. I'm no good at work, at home... just sick. Not so much for me, but the deer. I hate doing that to any deer, especially a trophy like this fellow.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by jmj

When I shot him, he hunched up and went 20 or so yards, then stopped and swayed.

Gutshot.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've been using the win ballistic silvertip 150s in my .308 ruger compact with great results in accuracy and downed game. I've been told by some old timers that the 150s ruined too much meat, but I haven't noticed any more carnage than the 180s. Just gotta hit em where it counts. I'm a big fan of the .308 but just my humble opinion.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
jmj,

I ain't shot a whitetail, but I'd like to get a crack at a huge northern buck. I have shot my share of Rocky Mountain mule deer. I can't remember how many. I've shot 'em with a .270 Win, 7MM Rem Mag, & .308 Win. They all ended up dead, which was predictable due to destroyed heart/lungs. Seems like it don't much matter what screws up their necessary organs, all that matters is that they end up not working; then have a real sharp knife on the ready.

I am not doubting a word you've written. God knows, learnin' is a lifelong process. But could it be that you thought you had lung shot that buck?

The reason I ask is that a .308 Win will reduce to freezer meat any North American big game animal. Keep in mind that afore all these super magnums came along to kill animals that will not give up their ghosts to anything but football-size cartridges, our northern brethren were killin' everything including griz with surplus .303 British Enfields.

The Canucks keep that .303 British killin'-prowess on the QT. Seems that they're 'fraid ghosts of all those dead big game animals that were killed by Canucks will take to gettin' pissed off that a cartridge 'bout as powerful as the then loaded '06 sent sent them to big game Valhalla.

jmj, there ain't nothin' bad about a .308 Win. You might as well chalk it up to a bad day. And we're all entitled to have one now-and-then.

Best of luck,

Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JMJ,

Have read all replies, to this point & agree with most posters.

I, too, think gutshot, by your description.

A question comes to mind ! Did you re-zero the rifle for the 2nd type of ammo ?

Been using the 165gr Fusion, in my .308, & have been happy with 3 years worth of results.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have been using the Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip in my .270 and the 150 gr Ballistic Tip in my .308 and 30-06. None have ever gone more than 10 feet

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a gutshot deer to me. FWIW, I shoot until the animal is on the ground.

Aim for the exit hole.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a gutshot deer to me. What made you think the deer didn't need another shot? FWIW, I shoot until the animal is on the ground.

Aim for the exit hole.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I do know about whitetails, but I'll assume they react identically: when a buck arches his back upon impact, it's a good hit in the critical equipment room. When a buck arches his back, get your knife ready.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jmj
Ok..... Shooting a .308 this year and so far not impressed. Shot a 10 point with Barnes 3x. No blood trail, dang lucky to find him. He ran about 200 yards. Lung shot. Switched to a Winchester ballistic silvertip in 168 grain. It's the rapid controlled expansion polymer tip. Shot a big 8 yesterday at 250 yards. He ran about 30 feet and stopped, look like he was going to pile up. I think I clipped his shoulder. Anyway, poked another in him just behind the shoulder. He jumped and ran in the woods. Not much blood, but what was there looked like lung blood. Tracked him 4 hours, jumping his twice. He would go 150 yards and bed down. Backed out and going back in today with a dog.......What bullet do ya'll recommend for deer??? I'm hesitant to blame the gun, but dangit, I'm losing confidence in the round, but deep down I know there is nothing wrong with a .308 Just never had this happen.. Advice?

in 308

i recommend 180 accubond

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Laguna
I do know about whitetails, but I'll assume they react identically: when a buck arches his back upon impact, it's a good hit in the critical equipment room. When a buck arches his back, get your knife ready.

Every arched back on any critter means gutshot to me....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Tom264

I've experienced arched backs only with lung shots. I believe mammals with destroyed lungs arch their backs in effort to contract their diaphragms in order to breathe. But if you have found arched backs in gut shots, I'm good.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Tom264

I've experienced arched backs only with lung shots. I believe mammals with destroyed lungs arch their backs in effort to contract their diaphragms in
order to breathe. But if you have found arched backs in gut shots, I'm good.

How many deer have you killed again?
Ok never mind.
Give this a Read

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN

in 308

i recommend 180 accubond

Why?

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
Originally Posted by jmj
Ok..... Shooting a .308 this year and so far not impressed. Shot a 10 point with Barnes 3x. No blood trail, dang lucky to find him. He ran about 200 yards. Lung shot. Switched to a Winchester ballistic silvertip in 168 grain. It's the rapid controlled expansion polymer tip. Shot a big 8 yesterday at 250 yards. He ran about 30 feet and stopped, look like he was going to pile up. I think I clipped his shoulder. Anyway, poked another in him just behind the shoulder. He jumped and ran in the woods. Not much blood, but what was there looked like lung blood. Tracked him 4 hours, jumping his twice. He would go 150 yards and bed down. Backed out and going back in today with a dog.......What bullet do ya'll recommend for deer??? I'm hesitant to blame the gun, but dangit, I'm losing confidence in the round, but deep down I know there is nothing wrong with a .308 Just never had this happen.. Advice?

in 308

i recommend 180 accubond

175 SMK smile

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the replies. The gun was zeroed after switching. One inch high at 100 yards. It's basically an MOA shooter. Browning Ti with a Swarovski Z5 3.5 -18. First shot was in his shoulder. He couldn't put weight on his right leg. Could have been low, but I just can't see how. I keep going back replaying it, and I suppose there could have been a stalk of sage or something. I don't know if that would fragment a bullet or not. The reason I think I got lung is we were finding pink, frothy blood until the trail quit.
I'm not downing the 308 by any means, but I'll admit I've lost some confidence. I've switched to my 280 for the remainder of the year and will re-evaluate. There were 8 buzzards circling today close to where we last saw him. They never got low, so I will be back tomorrow to look for more buzzards... Thanks all for the comments.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,868
Posts18,517,974
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.