-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we started hunting squirrels at about the age of 7, my dad hammered something into my brother and I. No matter how many squirrels are in that tree, until you have the squirrel you shot in your hand, you don't shoot another squirrel. The same premise applies to any other hunting, including deer hunting. I've shot doubles on deer before - but ONLY after I watch or hear the first deer crash. Granted, this isn't always possible depending on the cover you hunt in. And if it's not possible given the cover you hunt in, then don't pull the trigger again until you have found the first deer dead, in front of you, not going anywhere.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wasn't able to find the first buck I shot and took me awhile to get over it. That was 70 some odd deer and 35 years ago. After you do this a while you'll be able to hear the bullet hit the deer (if its far enough away). You'll be able to watch the deers reaction and know if it was a solid hit. Always wait for 20 or 30 minutes unless you see the deer hit the ground. A deer will normally kick out after its been hit and will not flag you as it runs away. The tail will be flapping up and down. Mark the last place you saw the deer running and try to listen for it to fall. I mainly hunt in Florida and when a lil Florida whitetail crashes in the palmetto's, it's easy to hear.

Mark both areas and wait. Sorry for the loss.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The one thing I"ve seen over the years to disagree, I've seen a lot of dead deer flagging as they go off.

I generally end up shooting deer when others are around. And I suspect that as they run off the hit one, by just learned response flags too, even though its hit.

I never discount a flagging deer.

RE bullet hit, I can hear that, even on a close shot. You have to learn to hear it though.

On longer shots its really easy to hear. Shot a coyote at 502 about 2 weeks ago, that was gravy easy to hear.

Missed a head shot on a doe about 240 yards same hunt, was gravy easy to hear nothing and not be amazed that she ran off.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.