Print Thread
Hop To
D
Doc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Purchased a new Para Ord CCO and took it out to the range for break in. After around fifty rounds with factory ammo, the slide failed to close the last quarter inch, and was jammed in place. I couldn't pull the slide back either. It took a great deal of effort to close the slide and to fully chamber the round. The first pull of the trigger failed to ignite the primer. After hand cocking the hammer, the second pull set off the round and the pistol functioned normally. I have been unwilling to fire the pistol again because if the same problem occurs and I can't get the round to fire, I won't be able to send it anywhere with a jammed round in the chamber.

Any ideas as to the problem?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What ammo? Wolf?

If so, the lacquered case Wolf uses can gum up some guns.

Happened to my P13. I cleared the problem by carefully putting the front, lower edge of the slide against a corner of my wooden workbench, and pushing until the slide moved enough to extract the round by hand.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd disassemble it and look for burrs and/or broken parts. I had a 745 S&W that had something like that happen to it, and it was part of the slide flaking off and tying up the gun. It stopped doing it, I guess when all that was going to break off, did. I never really trusted that thing, after that........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc,

No flame intended here, but you made two big mistakes. The first was forcing the round to chamber. Always work to clear the jam - it's almost always the path of least resistance. A failure to feed can be 'innocent', or it can be the result of a piece of crud, a shard of brass, a piece of primer - all things that you don't want to force into the chamber.

The second mistake was firing the round. Whenever there's a odd jam or hint of a bad cartridge thoroughly check everything out before firing the pistol.

As to your original question, I would inspect the pistol and if everything checks out I wouldn't worry about it. I'd figure another couple 150 rounds are needed to break in the pistol.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Doc - I'm not surprised. I've had two PO's. Both never did work right even after a trip back to the factory. Needless to say they both have new homes. And if their new owners just look at them and don't shoot 'em they'll be happy.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257Bob, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.