Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
OK. Exactly the same scenario, with different products.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
yup you made a custom order for a factory rifle.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
yup you made a custom order for a factory rifle.

Or, had a factory rifle customized. Wow, what a concept. crazy

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
To the OP,
My Fred Eichler Series RRA was ordered Aug. 2, 2012 and it took 5 months to get it. I'm guessing after recent events anything close to 5 months would be extremely quick. Plan on 6+ months but who really knows.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Different takes on it, but IMHO, unless you are having parts made for the gun, then its not custom. Semi works as a description, its just one I don't care for personally.

Grabbing ready to go parts out of a bin is simply parts assembly, not much custom to that.

Custom cabinets come from a builder. Home Depot ones are assembled at home. IE connected to each other much like an AR

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess you can say if you deviate from the Standard Rifle as it is normally shipped from the Factory then it is consider Custom.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TC1 no you requested a few parts from a list of options. That doesn't make it a custom or even semi-custom rifle.

rost495 I agree with you. Custom means that the part and or parts were made for that single rifle. Which is different from having factory parts on hand to choose from.

Custom has sorta gotten out of control. Take knives for example there are a lot of custom knife makers out there. However almost all of them make a set pattern of knife designs. The custom has become a choice in scale materials, steel of choice, type of pins, and color of liners. I call these options not customs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two Rock River ARs...one I bought lightly used and the other I ordered equiped a certain way. Don't know about or even care about the "custom" thing but I can tell you for a fact that both of these rifles will kill a coyote...dead as a doorknob. I have never missed a coyote because something was wrong with either of these guns. Are some AR's better than others...probably. It's that way with everything..cars, tvs, fishing reels, wives, etc. but for my use, and I'm not involved in law enforcement, a Rock River meets my expectations. Both of my rifles are very accurate and have never failed to fire when I pulled the trigger. Not sure what else I need to be looking for in a gun to coyote hunt with.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
TC1 no you requested a few parts from a list of options. That doesn't make it a custom or even semi-custom rifle.

Maybe you need to refer to the definition of custom again because as a matter of absolute fact, it does.

maybe this will help:

According to Merriam- Webster
CUSTOM : (adjective) made or performed according to personal order.

It can mean a lot of different things to different people. What it is really isn't debatable.

BTW, here is the last custom I had built. A little.223
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TC1; 01/30/13.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a way cool looking rifle! Very nice!
Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TC1 why did you choose to leave out this?

: specializing in custom work or operation <a custom tailor>

Custom would mean unlimited options not options of parts on hand. But you can sell yourself that its a custom. Doesn't effect my life one way or another.

I am not knocking RRA but I am also not calling them custom rifles. They are factory rifles that the company gives you options on.

I guess my truck is custom seeing as I opted for option of green paint.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I left it out because the word is being used as an adjective to describe a rifle. I believe you are giving the definition of the word as a verb which doesn't apply here. There is more stuff in the definition about custom but it does apply either.

The definition is very clear. Maybe if read it again it'll sink in.

The poster refered to his rifle as a "semi-custom" and several seemed to take offense. By definition he is correct.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I guess you can't read to well. As both definitions were under the use as an adjective.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, not at what I looked at but the insult was noted.

Last edited by TC1; 01/31/13. Reason: spelling, as usual.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats a way cool looking rifle! Very nice!
Jeff

Thanks!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Websters webpage look again.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I just looked at the on-line version and did see it. In the #2 version you cite it describes the maker and not the product.

So, what's your point?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow, we sure can sound silly can't we. (Me included)

Ok semi custom, then we can say Bushmaster, model one sales, dpms, double star, Armalite, m&a parts are all semi custom guns. Cause by definition you can add various parts to any of them and have been able to do so from the beginning.

Custom to me is a special gas port, chamber or what not. Changing parts is just that but I guess that's where semi comes in?

Point is RR makes a great gun for certain uses but S&W makes a better patrol type gun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TWR agree

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is an argument in semantics. Strict definition vs popular usage in a particular field that can be argued.

It's kinda like saying I built an AR vs I assembled an AR. Which one is more accurate vs which do most people say?

This has been entertaining to say the least. But the fact is we all have our opinions based on various things and we want to be right. To the point we'll argue the definition of a word someone else used when we all know what he meant.

Bottom line is the argument is silly if the product has already been ordered. If we have some knowledge to share as a group that could help any or all of us, the arguing gets in the way.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,457
Posts18,529,114
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.