Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just thought the rude and sarcastic comments that were posted after he made the semi-custom comment were uncalled for and I only stated that by definition he was correct. I was a little surprised at all the opposition myself. If the man wants to call his rifle a semi-custom. Honestly, what's the big deal?

Maybe we all should back off a little, let others state their opinions. Even if they contradict the pack mentality around here. You might be surprised how much real and helpful information is given when people share their own experiences good and bad as opposed to parroting group opinions and trying to belittle those we don't agree with.

Example, the last time this BCM thing came up. I got raked over the coals then too by the BCM fan boys. Afterwards I had 3 PM's from people that said there was no way they were getting in that cat fight but needed more info and thanked me for taking the time and abuse to share my personal experience with that rifle.

I'll continue to share my experiences on this board, good and bad. Some of it you may like, some of it you won't. That said, you'll get my honest opinion along with my bad spelling.

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kind of goes back to Bluedreux's post about stating what kind of experience you base your opinions on.

I started this crap cause I call it like it is. Maybe I should just keep my thoughts to myself and let people believe that RR are semi custom, their barrels don't foul, they all shoot one hole groups, their triggers are the best out there and that puts them above all others.

People should know who they are listening to and how they base their findings. But yes, I could be more tactful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fascinating discussion tired

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All he stated was his barrels didn't foul, shot tight groups and had pretty good triggers. I don't think he went as overboard as you think.

He called his rifle a semi-custom, big deal. It may not fit the term in your book but it certainly fits the definition.

As far as which is better, it probably boils down to what you plan on doing with the rifle. I've owned both brands and think highly of them both. The RRA was probably the second most accurate factory built AR I've ever owned and the S&W never gave a moment's trouble.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you machined the lower, the upper, and cut the chamber I would say you built it.

If you bought a bunch of parts and put them together then you assembled it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
All but two or three posts were even relevant to the Fred Eichler model rifle. One poster was a great help. And that's about it......

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
as noted, forgive us we do get OT at times, but a lot of discussion of these things nets OTHER relevant use to some posters.

Sorry it did not help you in the least.

Even the one posters help to you was simply an OPINION and a sample of ONE. IE the next rifle may be better, may be worse.

Best of luck on getting one too! I think overall you'll be happy with the RRA for what you want it to do, and it'll be accurate enough to make you happy. But somewhere in there you start to cross the line to making decisions for yourself on what you want and unless you use big names you can do it for the same cost more or less as the "semi" custom stuff out there and generally have an overall better product.

That MAY or MAY NOT hold better resale FWIW.

Good luck! Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So true. Passing opinion off as fact is a regular occurrence around here

As for the off topic content, I humbly apologize.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see the point of the FE edition AR. how much are they wanting for it?? I see it listed for $1500 on RRA's website. frankly if the gun can't be ordered for less than $1000 I think its a waste of money. I am putting together and RRA rifle right now for under $800 bucks, now granted its not got some of the fancy features the FE model has. a gas block change, free float handguard and hogue grip would functionally give me the same rifle as I am putting together. oh I guess I would also need the muzzle break or whatever it is. speaking of which why does every AR 15 always have to having something affixed to the muzzle?? I suppose the terriorists will see I don't have a flash hider on. to me its a negative and just adds unecessary length to the gun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Flash hiders... so to speak, cut down on the muzzle jump for follow up shots. Trust me. I know it doesn't seem like much but I've done a LOT of rapid fire shooting, and the right "hider" makes enough of a difference.

But for my non rapid fire guns I don't generally have them.

I'm totally with you on the expense vs names issue. ITs totally worthless, IMHO to pay for same features just because they are "bone collector" versions...

Also some may or may not be needed, but that's up to the OP or buyer if you will.

Anotehr plus for a threaded barrel.... suppressor if you ever get that far. They sure are nice to have.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I didn't want to have to tug dix X 100 to Rat Hole each individual part, stock, lower, barrel, bolt carrier etc.

I have one RRA already and am beyond pleased with its function and accuracy.

I really like the FF handguard with coyote tracks in it which isn't offered seperatly.

I've seen it shown with Badger Tactical charging handle, though I don't know it's that was a permanent feature or if they changed that already. It comes in at an acceptable weight to carry. It's twisted correctly for my wants also.

My life will not rely on the weapon. But in Idaho most Big Game can be taken with .22 caliber. So for checking bear baits, fly fishing, back packing adventures etc, its in my Mind's Eye....perfect. A pack able rifle with more than 3 rounds at the ready that can shoot 62 TSX bullets sub MOA is a huge plus. Wolves are open in some units very late into the summer and open early.

My reasonings for the purchase.

And it may not arrive within the quoted 90-180 days.....but it may.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you guys are like a bunch of old ladies arguing over knitting needles. I just spent $47 on 1000 primers and right now I would say "any AR15 I could get my hands on for $1000 or so would be just fine" or I wish I had the talent and parts like BEA175 or TWR to build my own!! I had me one of those RRA POS rifle, it shot just fine but 1-9 don't cut it for me so I sold it. All these Colts are a POS comments are BS I have had 4-5 of them and all were just fine, the first an SP-1. Just for everyone 4 guns is more than a sample of one (again 4>1 for those of you from Rio Linda) (stolen from Rush)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If i can't find a Stag then the Rock River would be my next choice. I'm partial to Stag for one reason , I'm Left Handed . As far as the poster saying you don't build a AR you just assemble them he is right and this goes for most gunsmith who put together bolt guns . You buy a barrel blank and then assemble it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Man if I had (could find) parts to build one today I surely would try to do so! Any parts even one of those inferior RRA bolt carrier groups!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
If i can't find a Stag then the Rock River would be my next choice. I'm partial to Stag for one reason , I'm Left Handed . As far as the poster saying you don't build a AR you just assemble them he is right and this goes for most gunsmith who put together bolt guns . You buy a barrel blank and then assemble it.

then RRA should be your first choice. Unlike Stag, RRA offers a TRUE left-hand AR, not just one with a left-side ejection port.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Before I purchased my FE 1001, I picked out the options I wanted and looked at prices for each option/upgrade in a build and found that the Fred Eichler was reasonably priced for everything it offered. Apparently Jesse Jaymes and I thought those options fit our needs. I don't see a huge extra cost for the FE if you do the math. A bead blasted barrel was just one of the options the FE had (and I wanted) and its added price would have to factored in if your comparing the FE price to an AR build. To me, it comes down to the FE offering what I wanted for a coyote hunting rifle.

@ Jesse Jaymes,
Mine did come with the Badger Tactical Charging Handle.

@ cumminscowboy,
My FE has a conventional crowned barrel ... the end treatment you speak of is just an option, not a requirement.

Last edited by Harmzy; 02/01/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

then RRA should be your first choice. Unlike Stag, RRA offers a TRUE left-hand AR, not just one with a left-side ejection port.

I tried to get a Left Hand Stripped upper from RR and they didn't offer it .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RRA certainly has some nice looking guns, that are accurate. I nearly did grab one at a gun show, but the bolt had friction and did not cycle smoothly, so I passed.

Armalites have been a little hit & miss for me, but the three I have are excellent, though a couple needed tuning. One would only do 3-4" at 100 yards, until I changed the barrel. The CMMG .300 BO is reliable, but so-so accurate. I'm probably going to get a Noveske or DD barrel for it.

The Colt 6940 shoots superbly, chrome lined, grenade-launcher cut barrel & all. Have an orphan DD V5 upper; it may be a while before I can find a good DD lower for it.

I'd like to build a 6.8 for hunting, but not in a hurry to round up over-priced parts. When I do buy them, I will lean toward the more reputable brands, even if they cost a bit more.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

I tried to get a Left Hand Stripped upper from RR and they didn't offer it .

Probably because it's a new model and they ,like everyone else, are swamped with orders for existing parts and guns. IF things ever calm down, I would bet they'd have stripped uppers for sale again. I bet right now, they need everything they have just to make complete guns for the backorders. crazy

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when they do i will order a couple

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 4,130 guests, and 714 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,809
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.