Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any reason NOT to use one for a custom build? Apparently their wait times are far better than Krieger, Brux, etc.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I'd wait for a quality point cut rifled barrel blank.

IMO, there is a reason for the long wait times....high demand for a great and proven product.

Last edited by scenarshooter; 02/02/13.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

IMO, there is a reason for the long wait times....high demand for a great and proven product.
This could very well be true,however my first Shilen barrel(24",#2),shoots sub 1/4" groups in my new 6.5 Rem Mag.I'm more than pleased with it.Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No reason, IMHO.

Have all three. They all three shoot great.

I've heard it said that cut filled barrels last longer. I don't shoot enough to comment on that.

I've have, or have had, several Shilens and would buy another without reservation.

If I was building another rifle, I'd go with the recommendation of my smith regarding which maker to use. Things change and yesterday's darling may not be in favor today. Rifle smiths know who's behind on orders, who delivers as promised and who best backs their product. We know what we read and what we've heard. That info is by nature, past performance and not present time reality. .

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only have one Shilen so my experience is limited, but the one I have is a real shooter, 3/4" five shot groups are common and groups over 1" are very uncommon. Its only problem is it's a bit schizophrenic, a hunting rifle that thinks it's a target rifle. BTW it's a 270WIN

Last edited by super T; 02/02/13.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Only one Shilen as well, not a high round count rifle, but I have no complaints. It groups the same with 2 different factory loads...that are 50 grains apart in weight.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I will amend my previous post to add, in addition to listening to my smith, I'd give a bunch of credit to a top notch, long range rifleman who has shot enough over the years to render an expert opinion.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used them in the past with good luck, but recently talked to two very qualified gunsmiths here in Canada that mention that the recent Shilens are not as good as they used to be and not being staight was the problem.

I stopped a 358Win job in the works that was to have a Shilen bbl.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good question. I have both.

This is a Shilen button rifled #2 contour below, and I also have a cut rifled Rock #3 on a 308.

[Linked Image]

The cut rifled barrel is a better barrel; slightly more accurate, easier to clean, less affected by heat,etc. But the difference is probably less than you might imagine.

Here's a group from the Shilen at 300 meters:

[Linked Image]

And that entire rifle cost about a third of the other......

If I were only building one custom rifle ever, I would go with a cut rifled barrel.

But Shilen make some pretty decent barrels regardless....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My latest build is a 9.3x62 Mauser that Jkob put together using a Shilen blank. I haven't shot it that much and in a round like that, I don't think barrel life will be a major issue. So far, it seems accurate and time will tell.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
i've had at least three shilen barrels they all shot great.

Ed

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Good question. I have both.

This is a Shilen button rifled #2 contour below, and I also have a cut rifled Rock #3 on a 308.

[Linked Image]

The cut rifled barrel is a better barrel; slightly more accurate, easier to clean, less affected by heat,etc. But the difference is probably less than you might imagine.

Here's a group from the Shilen at 300 meters:

[Linked Image]

And that entire rifle cost about a third of the other......

If I were only building one custom rifle ever, I would go with a cut rifled barrel.

But Shilen make some pretty decent barrels regardless....

My Krieger and Brux barrels look prettier thru the Hawkeye borescope. My Shilen has very faint tool marks, nothing like Rem and Savage factory barrels, but just not quite in the same league with these cut rifle barrels.

Now, how well a barrel shoots and how pretty it looks thru a borescope often does not correlate. It's an interesting observation, nonetheless.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If there really was a difference, big or small, between a button and cut rifled barrel, there would only be one of them used in competition events.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn

If there really was a difference, big or small, between a button and cut rifled barrel, there would only be one of them used in competition events.

+1 on competition barrels.

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
my custom mauser has a shilen barrel and shoots very well. have not cleaned it yet so i will have to see how smooth it really is

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
used many Shilens and they are Very good...the standard barrels work very well for a hunting rifle while the select matches are one of the best deals for the $$ out there.

check out the BarrelMan for very good pricing on them. heck of a barrel for $255

http://www.thebarrelman.com/

jerry is great to work with BTW

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got two Shilen barrels. One is a Rem Varmint Countour in 6.5x284. Shoots well, consistantly in the .5 moa realm. The other is a #3 in 25-06 that I hope to have up and running this summer. All that said, I'm building a full custom .308 right now. I ordered my action yesterday and the barrel will be a Krieger or Bartlein, FWIW.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

The way I read that he's referring to his cut being the more accurate of the 2 not that they are in general.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Jglenn
....the select matches are one of the best deals for the $$ out there.

check out the BarrelMan for very good pricing on them. heck of a barrel for $255

http://www.thebarrelman.com/

I have a handful of Select Match barrels on various rifles. Agreed, they shoot great, and are priced right, especially from TheBarrelman.

I have one in transit right now that will be turned into a 6x47.

I'm totally confident that the groundhogs this summer will be losing their heads over how well it will shoot. cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nortex

The way I read that he's referring to his cut being the more accurate of the 2 not that they are in general.

I guess I read that wrong. Now that I read it again, I think you are right.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219DW, 160user, 22kHornet, 61 invisible), 12,233 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,252
Posts18,544,465
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.