Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got a Remington AWR with a McMillan stock the recoil pad of which has begun to slowly melt. I know this is not a new phenomenon but the question is how do I fix it. I called Remington when the pad first showed signs of turning to goo and they wanted me to send the whole rifle back for a complete stock replacement. This I was not willing to do. Last summer at a big sporting clays shoot, I asked several traveling gunsmiths what they could do for me. None had an answer. I tried putting Armor-All on the pad but that did nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prob be best to just sell it to me. Ok really I don't know. Is it screwed on or glued on. You can always do a grind to fit pachmayer decelerator.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Fingernail polish

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call limb saver with the part number, and they will send you a new one.
I did.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Call limb saver with the part number, and they will send you a new one.
I did.

yep.....me 2.....

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a Remington 700 T-Hole laminated stock 300 wizzum with a 26" SS barrel that had a sticky pad. I called Remington (NC), gave them the serial number and said they would send out a replacement pad which they did. The pad was attached to a new T-Hole stock which my gunsmith said was $259 his cost! My gunsmith just switched the pads and now I have a new spare stock. I would send the rifle to Remington and let them replace the stock or better yet tell them to send you the new stock, you'll have a spare.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Send to:

LimbSaver

ATTN: Bill
50 W. Rose Nye Way
Shelton, WA 98584

Thank you for using LimbSaver Products,

Bill Barnhart

Sims Vibration Laboratory
Sales & Warranty/Tech
Shooting Staff Coordinator
50 W. Rose Nye Way
Shelton, WA. 98584
877-257-2761--Toll Free
360-427-6031
360-427-4025--Fax

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

For crying out loud, take the old pad off and put a Decelerator on!

It ain't that hard......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I didn't think it would be a big deal either but, because it is glued on, the gunsmiths I showed it to said they couldn't put a new one on. Had it been screwed on the fix would have been easy. My "can-do-anything" gunsmith retired several years ago otherwise this would have been replaced way back when it first started to melt.

I don't want a replacement stock because mine has been bedded and the rifle shoots great the way it is. Also, I'm not interested in paying the shipping cost on something that was not my fault. Remington wanted to replace the stock and wanted me to pay the shipping. I have the same problem with a Remington M7 AWR.

RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 01/26/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There are many options. 1st of all, any competent gunsmith can remove the sticky pad and install a new one of your choice. Sims will give you new pads for free if you want to go back with the LS.

The easiest fix is to just cut the pad off leaving the hard plastic backer glued on, sand the plastic flat, then buy a pair of $2 flip flops, trace out the stock on the flip flop, cut the ff a little larger, epoxy it on, tape the stock and plastic to the ff line, sand with a belt or orbital until flush, then round the back edge of the ff with a sand block until you like the look. The negative is you'll lose about 1/4" lop, the positives are that it looks nice, works, and its dirt cheap.

Loder

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
There are many options. 1st of all, any competent gunsmith can remove the sticky pad and install a new one of your choice. Sims will give you new pads for free if you want to go back with the LS.

The easiest fix is to just cut the pad off leaving the hard plastic backer glued on, sand the plastic flat, then buy a pair of $2 flip flops, trace out the stock on the flip flop, cut the ff a little larger, epoxy it on, tape the stock and plastic to the ff line, sand with a belt or orbital until flush, then round the back edge of the ff with a sand block until you like the look. The negative is you'll lose about 1/4" lop, the positives are that it looks nice, works, and its dirt cheap.

Loder

There you go.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.