Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have been hunting all my life with standard modern rifles and have been talked into moving the 2013 elk hunt up a month to muzzleloader season. Our colorado native says not to let the term intimidate us and has recommended the TC Impact or CVA Optima.

While I realize that hunters can have decade long discussions (arguments) about the strengths and weaknesses of hunting supplies from toilet paper to bullet weights, I am looking for those that have experience to recommend a rifle that is legal in CO and easy to learn and operate. My intention is to go ahead and get the rifle so I can get some good experience wiht it before going up the trail. I am all ears to an recomended loads and tips as well.

It's more than just the trigger pull.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There are several models avialable that you can get started with for less than $200 that work quite well and shoot well.A few of the Tradition brand are such. There is no need to invest $500 in something you may or may not like.In the future if it turns out you like the season,you can sell it and step a notch or so.

For Colorado,you need a 50 cal or larger for elk, no sabots, no scopes or any type of optical or laser sight. Irons, (buckhorn or peeps) and fiber optics are OK.
Loose powder required,no pellets, no smokeless,but BP subsitutes are OK NO electronic ignition.

Sidelocks or inlines OK. Musket caps, Percussion caps or 209 shotgun primers OK.

There are restrictions on bullet wieght but you canget them from the web site or brochure

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as restrictions on bullet length (not weight), someone told me CP&W removed the 2X bore diameter limit. Has anybody else heard that?

Edited to add: I just looked in the regulations brochure and the limit on bullet length is gone.

Last edited by smokepole; 02/04/13.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still like a long heavy bullet...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whatever rifle you decide on I'd put an aperture (peep) sight on it. There are lots of opinions on the "best" muzzleloader for Colorado. You may want to start a thread in the muzzy forum.

I agree with saddlesore, you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a decent muzzleloader. I like the older T/C rifles for conicals, 777 powder, musket cap, and 370 gr Maxi-ball bullets.

Last edited by Bill_N; 02/04/13.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My first muzzleloader hunt was in NM, 1979. That rifle was a TC Renegade .54, percussion. Still have it and shoot TC 430gr Maxibullets from my own mould, 110grs of 777. It will shoot less than 2" 100yd groups w/ open sights. Have other modern inlines for scoped long range work, but this is still my Colorado legal gun. Have shot animals out to 160 yds, and it will go completely through a broadside elk.
For something more modern I have a TC Encore witch is superbly accurate. You just need to decide the style of muzzleloader you want to hunt with since open sights will be your limiting factor. I have been shooting Long Range Cowboy Silhouette lately and it has improved my open sight skills considerably. Practice a lot! Good luck. I have 16 Colorado Pref points and am thinking about one of those hunts too.
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blair, Don't forget, it takes a point or three for nonresidents to draw most bull tags, but lots of cow tags can be had 2nd choice, so you can get a point and hunt too

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
We should be good on points. Been drawing for points for three years.

It's more than just the trigger pull.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,651
Posts18,533,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.