Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone known anyone that's hunted with these guys on an archery elk hunt?

Many thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Dober,

Roughly what town is the ranch located near?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are out of Chama. Hunt both southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. Don't know anyone who has hunted with them.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober I hunted a couple of times with the tribe at Chama. I had a guy that worked for me that was a guide. If I can help with nothing but the area PM me.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I know someone who hunted with them and I have visited their Lodge south of Chama but I will wait for the guy who hunted with them to comment, if he wants to.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just to eliminate any confusion I may have caused. I have not hunted with the outfitter mentioned. Just hunted with the Jicarilla in the same area.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thats a LOT of $$ for the quality of elk they have there in my opinion, based on their 2012 kills I see on their site.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Thats a LOT of $$ for the quality of elk they have there in my opinion, based on their 2012 kills I see on their site.
FWIW, their fees look pretty much like the going rate for those hunts in that part of the state. You can probably do a little better if you do your homework.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunted the Chama area several times on private ranches. Never saw any bulls worth what most outfitters and ranches in the area are asking. Very nice area, lots of elk, but nothing of truly trophy quality.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by taz4570
Hunted the Chama area several times on private ranches. Never saw any bulls worth what most outfitters and ranches in the area are asking. Very nice area, lots of elk, but nothing of truly trophy quality.

When N.M. bit the bullet (so to speak) and significantly reduced the number of elk licenses in the late 60's, it took about 10 years for the state elk population to rebound and begin producing big bulls. During the 80's Northern NM was about as good as it gets for the average guy to go on a outfitted hunt on private ground. Plus the state had started a voucher system for landowners.

As livestock prices began to decline in the early 80's ranchers found they were often making as much money from sport hunting as beef/wool. The ranchers began lobbying the legislature/wildlife commission for more licenses. And they succeeded.

By the late 80's/early 90's, the age class of bulls began to decline a few years.

The result is you will see a lot of 3-5 year old bulls in the 275-300 range with an occasional 325 bull (at least in the north central/Chama area I've been in). Of course a big bull still shows up sometimes. There are a few ranches that manage for older bulls--and of course they get even more money.

If you're looking for good success on a 6 point bull, it's still a very good area.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a drop-camp bow hunt in their colorado camp last year. Thought they did a good job and the camp was well supplied.--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Mark...I hunted there and will be going back this Fall. One of the Outdoor hunting channels also filmed a hunt there and the Fishtail site has the video on it's front page now. On my edit, I went to my emails and tagged this link from the vid Lee and Valerie Weiss sent me. http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001pbUI...Jq08UKxS45QmganOdqQBcEgyPQMMAhQ7KdUtyr8=

I had a wonderful visit from toltecgriz while I hunted there, as well.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. I'll give you my contact info should you be interested.

Do not hesitate to hunt there.

Last edited by RISJR; 02/05/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The result is you will see a lot of 3-5 year old bulls in the 275-300 range with an occasional 325 bull (at least in the north central/Chama area I've been in). Of course a big bull still shows up sometimes. There are a few ranches that manage for older bulls--and of course they get even more money.

If you're looking for good success on a 6 point bull, it's still a very good area.
===============

Precisely. A 340 was killed by a guy there on his first elk hunt. He got out of the jeep, walked 30 yards,saw the elk and shot. He'll never be the same again.

Mark...bowhunting there would be a real treat, right in the peak of the rut. You can also take a black bear during that time and there are plenty of black bears on their properties.

It's a hot temp hunt though which should make the water hole stalks or set-ups a nice advantage for you.

Last edited by RISJR; 02/05/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I know someone who hunted with them and I have visited their Lodge south of Chama but I will wait for the guy who hunted with them to comment, if he wants to.

============

I may have hunted there in addition to having the pleasure of shaking your hand but you still have far more knowledge of that NM area and Co than I ever will.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx guys, appreciate the info

Dober

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The folks there were very nice and friendly. While I was visiting Bob they told me to make myself at home and basically do anything I wanted to do other than hunt which made sense since I didn't have a license or plan to stay.
The only thing I didn't get clear in my head was how much ground they hunted and how exclusive it was. They definitely had some bulls in the hunting area.
It was great meeting Bob and after Bob left for the afternoon hunt his pal was a treasure trove of information about Bob. PM me for information about Bob.

Just kidding. My lips are sealed. smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is this the same area that Jack Brittingham and Co. do a lot of their elk hunting at in the videos?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I can't answer that as I don't know, but I doubt it unless you mean the Chama area in general.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I believe it was 13,000-18,000 acres at the time I was there but I think he may have added more parcels since then.

William Arthur Ward

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.