Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
salsola Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

"President Obama on Wednesday will nominate Recreational Equipment (REI) chief executive Sally Jewell to head the Interior Department, according to a White House official who asked not to be identified because the public announcement has not yet been made.

The choice of Jewell, who began her career as an engineer for Mobil Oil and worked as a commercial banker before heading a nearly $2 billion outdoors equipment company, represents an unconventional choice for a post usually reserved for career politicians from the West."

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nervous.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This cannot be good -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
salsola Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Yeah, doesn't give me much "hope".

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was about to say that my initial reaction to this news was not a warm fuzzy feeling.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am under the impression that the REI bunch is pretty much an environazi group...Am I wrong?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
She was employed in the private sector so maybe she's got some common sense.

The REI connection has me paranoid but hopefully I'm wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
...who began her career as an engineer for Mobil Oil and worked as a commercial banker...

Doesn't seem all that unconventional to me.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sycamore
...who began her career as an engineer for Mobil Oil and worked as a commercial banker...

Doesn't seem all that unconventional to me.

Sycamore

Neither would Trotsky

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Given all the love that is given to "conventional" nominees, one would guess that this can only be good. REI is hardly an environazi group. They are a business and a damn good one that seems to run very very efficiently. She might be awesome. I see nothing to indicate anything bad.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Been an REI member since 1988. Whilebthe company does not have an t official policy against hunting I have received negative comments from employees when I buy gear and mention it is for a hunt.

Many members and some board members have tiesbto radical enviro groups.

That is why as a sportsman I am nervous.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ribka
Been an REI member since 1988. Whilebthe company does not have an t official policy against hunting I have received negative comments from employees when I buy gear and mention it is for a hunt.

As I said earlier I am pretty much in the dark on thier specific views on environmental issues. The anti hunting theme has came up with them in the past I beleive...So has a strong reluctance from the REI to allow the proper use of resources to help curb the influx of illegals crossing over thru our designated wilderness areas along our border with mexico....

Might be some good questions to get answers to.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
With this pick might see REI show true colors. It is a good company with very good CS. If they turn dropping membership.

Wait and see

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
All of the Obamanation's nominees are either political hacks or people with an agenda not friendly to "us"; pinko commies on this site notwithstanding.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Guess it depends on where you live. I usually wander into REI when I am up in Albuquerque, wearing my boots, jeans and a Stetson or gimme cap and nobody pays any attention to me. The guys at the counter where they have the optics, knives and GPS stuff usually want to talk about elk hunting. I have been a member since at least the late 1970s and still buy almost all of my hunting boots from them.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope she gets more kids out of doors and traveling to camp out. They become more outdoor oriented and some might take up hunting.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seattle REI not so hunter friendly. Big surprise. The local hiking web sites often contain complaints and rants regarding hunters and firearms

Cultural thing in the PNW

Originally Posted by mudhen

Guess it depends on where you live. I usually wander into REI when I am up in Albuquerque, wearing my boots, jeans and a Stetson or gimme cap and nobody pays any attention to me. The guys at the counter where they have the optics, knives and GPS stuff usually want to talk about elk hunting. I have been a member since at least the late 1970s and still buy almost all of my hunting boots from them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Can you imagine the howls if Bush had nominated a former Mobil employee?? Looking at her resume, maybe she'll be alright (if she's not a rabid anti-hunter). Couldn't be much worse than the third-rate political hacks who they normally give the position.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uh, guys...

Obama didn't hire REI, he hired Sally Jewell...

It's not REI's policies or lack of policies that we have to be concerned about here.... it's HER that we need to vet....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I were at a REI last Saturday to pickup a canoe he had ordered. He shops there a lot, I don't. While there I asked him if this was a good place to pickup chicks that may like outdoor pursuits. He said probably if you like chicks that don't shave their legs and bath regularly.

The image of Sally Jewell comes to mind.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,740
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.