Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wish I had access to a 1 mile range, or even a 500 yerd range. In the East, they are hard to find.

GB1

B
B
Did you get my message?
Do we know each other?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I recall an article in Handloader about big caliber handguns and an Alaskan hunt for big bears by Ross. This was a 4-6 week hunt but one observation stuck in my mind. There was a bear up on a snow bank jumping up and down on a snow bank with it's front paws. After a time the snow bank collapsed in a small avalanche down a slope along with the bear.

A short time later the bear emerged, shook itself off then climbed back up where it originally was and started jumping on the remaining snow again.

Ross commented that there were few animals that could "play" with mother nature and survive which illustrated how powerful and resiliant bears are and why a proper caliber was needed!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've enjoyed reading this long topic about one of my favorite writers. Don't know him, never met him, but I've read his stuff for as long as he's been published and looked forward to and enjoyed most every article. I really like the handgun and old gun stuff. Seems like a fine fellow to me.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
T
T
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by BTagart
...Ross respectfully declined and instead elected to sit with his teammates, the rest of the 10 man Colorado team. (I was part of that team and came in #80 in the field.)

Ron Phillips, Ikey Starks, Don Fisher (the best pistolsmith in the US BTW), airline pilot named Grumbles?, big red headed computer guy whose name escapes me right now---am I close? I've forgotten others. There was a pretty good shooter from the west slope that often was a shoot-off qualifier also.
BTW, Bill Wilson once said that if he didn't build his own guns, he'd use a Fisher gun.

Are you still shooting in Colorado??

It's good to know someone still remembers me from back then. That was Jim Grumbles you are thinking of. Big guy was John Maxwell who was 6'4" or so and a good 300 plus pounds. That was a pretty good IPSC Nationals match as I remember, as I finished 35th and second out of the 10 shooters from Colorado. That was my first time at the Nationals so I was pretty pleased with the results.

My username is taken from the name I had engraved on my PPC revolvers that I custom built. Since the idea of the gun was to shoot X's, I came up the The-X-Assint as the name for the guns.

Don Fisher/Fisher Custom Firearms

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I think the aticle he wrote on the .340 Weatherby was very refreshing and showed up the industry for being quite stale at that time.

John

That might have been the article that put me to making a 340 B. Later, after Win's Failsafe bullet came out, or maybe it was Barnes First X bullet, he opined that these bullets brought each cartridge "a click up" in effectiveness, i think he was right; sometime later after the "340 B" article, he came out praising the 338 WM "over the 340"; he explained it was these bullets which have changed the cartridge world (paraphrase mine).

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jim62
Nope ,he is was raised on a Farm/Ranch in central Colorado just northeast of Denver.

He did a bit of PH work in Africa in the 1980s, I believe.

I remember the real estate piece on the ranch when he was trying to sell it. Seems he couldn't come to terms with some family members.

Did it ever sell?

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nope ,he is was raised on a Farm/Ranch in central Colorado just northeast of Denver.

I remember the real estate piece on the ranch when he was trying to sell it. Seems he couldn't come to terms with some family members.

Did it ever sell?

DF

Are you thinking of the Oregon ranch, Elk Song Ranch?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Did it ever sell?

DF

The Elk Song Ranch has been sold for some time now

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ross stopped at my table at a Denver gun show many moons ago as I had some kind of weapon that he wanted to look at and if my memory serves me well, John Burns had alerted him about whatever the gun was. Probably something that John Linebaugh had brewed up. I enjoyed listening to him for a half hour or so. Nice guy.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Mister Ross is The best of the best....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recall his 340 Weatherby article, it was a classic. Would like to read his "evolving" view on the 338 WM. if anyone can point me in that direction.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As others have said on this thread, I always enjoyed reading his articles, even when I had no interest in the topic at hand.

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone know what magazine and issue the 340 WBY article was in?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, I have reread the earlier posts and read the most recent. Does anyone know where Ross is now and what he is doing? If he is writing, I must not subscribe to or see the publications that carry his work. Thanks in advance!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

G&A September 1989

Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

I don't but I want to say it was '91 or '92. I remember, I was in Des Moines, IA.,visiting my sister, bought a--was it Guns'n Ammo?--and the cover sported a domino-like line-up of 340 cartridges. And then the article by Ross S.

I swallowed it, as they say: hook, line, and sinker. Built a 340 and hunted with it 20 years. Great, great cartridge!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Never let me down either.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I believe he is still writing for the Double Gun Journal.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some where in the new century (the 2000's) I had email contact with RS. I invited him to the 24HCF. He responded, "too much chaff, too little wheat". I answered, "well, bring more wheat". He declined.

And that's fine. To each, his own. grin

RS, I wish you the best.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 8 invisible), 1,211 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.