Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I simply can't see how you can cast dispersion on Ed's character.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The world is full of posers. There are people masquerading as President, Preacher, Policeman and Teacher.

OUCH!

I bet that stung a little!

Those two cops were cowards, theres cowards in all walks of life, I know several but I don't know any cops that are cowards.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I took an oath to enforce the laws of the Commmonwealth of Kentucky roughly 20 years ago. On that oath, I hang my honor and integrity. I do not play favorites and I do not shirk responsibility. I have fulfilled my commitment to the people of Kentucky on enough occasions that I no longer feel the need to "prove myself" any longer. I am not a cop.

Just my personal feeling on the term.
I think you must be in the minority among policemen in that sense of offense connected to the term.

I have no problem with policemen operating under the guideline whereby they are not bound to render assistance, so long as they are honest about it, i.e., so long as they don't intentionally create the impression with the public that reality is otherwise. Most folks pay their taxes contributing to your salary with the explicit understanding (created by slogans on police cars, for example) that they are paying for protection from criminals. Perhaps if the police were more honest about this sort of thing more people would be demanding the right to carry the means of self-defense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The cops who watched this take place were Black , this should tell you something about why he received no help from them.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been around this business for quite a while and once in a blue moon, you'll run up on one.

I've personally seen one drive in the opposite direction while we were headed to a shooting, and heard another call in a "flat tire" while there was lead in the air.

Like Josey Wales said. "A man's gotta know his limitations."

No outfit is perfect, so long as it is comprised of humans.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bea175
The cops who watched this take place were Black , this should tell you something about why he received no help from them.

Good Lord, brother, we could go on for hours about the effect affirmative action has had on the product that gets turned out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'd say that my personal feeling about the term "cop" would be that the behavior you describe would be exactly what a cop would do. It is a derogatory term.
I don't understand this attitude. I hear cops call themselves cops all the time in a friendly, casual, and matter-of-fact, manner, thus I think it reasonable to assume it's not considered derogatory by them. Also consider the history of the term. The first police department in the nation, of the sort we think of today, was the NYPD. They wore copper badges. They came to be referred to by the public, therefore, as "coppers." Gradually this was shorted to "cops." I'm not seeing the derogatory nature of the term.

Hawk, thanks for that history lesson. I never knew how that term came to be. Personally, I never viewed the term in a derogatory nature.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I'd say that my personal feeling about the term "cop" would be that the behavior you describe would be exactly what a cop would do. It is a derogatory term.
I don't understand this attitude. I hear cops call themselves cops all the time in a friendly, casual, and matter-of-fact, manner, thus I think it reasonable to assume it's not considered derogatory by them. Also consider the history of the term. The first police department in the nation, of the sort we think of today, was the NYPD. They wore copper badges. They came to be referred to by the public, therefore, as "coppers." Gradually this was shorted to "cops." I'm not seeing the derogatory nature of the term.

From some past mis-information I had associated the word 'cop' with "constable on patrol". Here is some information that clarifies that misconception along with the copper badge misconception;
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/cop.asp

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been around this business for quite a while and once in a blue moon, you'll run up on one.

I've personally seen one drive in the opposite direction while we were headed to a shooting, and heard another call in a "flat tire" while there was lead in the air.

Don't ever take offense at my use of the word "cop" as my understanding of it came from the word "copper' as in the gangster days when badges were copper.

I'll try to change but I am old and set in my ways. whistle

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Is it your opinion that employing argumentum ad hominem is a mark of good character, or do you agree with me that it's a mark of poor character? That's all that matters. After that, it's only a question of whether the shoe fits.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I took an oath to enforce the laws of the Commmonwealth of Kentucky roughly 20 years ago. On that oath, I hang my honor and integrity. I do not play favorites and I do not shirk responsibility. I have fulfilled my commitment to the people of Kentucky on enough occasions that I no longer feel the need to "prove myself" any longer. I am not a cop.

Just my personal feeling on the term.
I think you must be in the minority among policemen in that sense of offense connected to the term.

I have no problem with policemen operating under the guideline whereby they are not bound to render assistance, so long as they are honest about it, i.e., so long as they don't intentionally create the impression with the public that reality is otherwise. Most folks pay their taxes contributing to your salary with the explicit understanding (created by slogans on police cars, for example) that they are paying for protection from criminals. Perhaps if the police were more honest about this sort of thing more people would be demanding the right to carry the means of self-defense.

You do understand that we don't sit around the coffee pot and come up with snappy slogans to put on our cars. The political appointees up the chain, who work for the Governor, or the Mayor do that kind of horse$hit.

I guess we could be a little more forthcoming with folks and take out a few radio ads. Something along the lines of: "Hi, this is officer friendly. In recent years, the political climate has changed to the degree that my fellow officers and I can no longer effectively guarantee your personal safety. We'd love to be of assistance if we can, however, with the poor support we receive from our superiors and lawmakers, we feel its best to tell you to wear your running shoes at all times. That way, when you shoot your little .380 empty, you can run for your life."

I'm not against that. Per Se.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Is it your opinion that employing argumentum ad hominem is a mark of good character, or do you agree with me that it's a mark of poor character? That's all that matters. After that, it's only a question of whether the shoe fits.

No sir, that's my opinion of Ed's character after having conversations with him, and your character after having discussions with you.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Don't ever take offense at my use of the word "cop" as my understanding of it came from the word "copper' as in the gangster days when badges were copper.

I'll try to change but I am old and set in my ways. whistle

None taken, friend.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You're right. I am wrong. It was wrong of me to resort to employing argumentum ad hominem. I apologize for that.

You are what you are, and I am what I am.

I try to stay away from these threads for they are nothing but emotional arguments that bear only marginal resemblance to a reasonable discussion. I failed at that self-imposed rule this morning.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You paint with such a wide brush when you should really be doing trim work.

I'd say that my personal feeling about the term "cop" would be that the behavior you describe would be exactly what a cop would do. It is a derogatory term. But to say that all police officers are "cops" is akin to saying all black people are "n*ggers". Simply isn't true.

...!

Coppers in Australia refer to themselves as cops...and the public refer to them as cops, it not derogatory here just a title.

Just like you lot being a pack of Yanks....even the Southerners.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Hawk, thanks for that history lesson. I never knew how that term came to be. Personally, I never viewed the term in a derogatory nature.
Must be a northeastern thing not to be offended by it nor to see it as offensive.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART
You paint with such a wide brush when you should really be doing trim work.

I'd say that my personal feeling about the term "cop" would be that the behavior you describe would be exactly what a cop would do. It is a derogatory term. But to say that all police officers are "cops" is akin to saying all black people are "n*ggers". Simply isn't true.

...!

Coppers in Australia refer to themselves as cops...and the public refer to them as cops, it not derogatory here just a title.

Just like you lot being a pack of Yanks....even the Southerners.

OUCH! That really hurts!
Hope your day is a good one, sir.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is 2.50 am and quiet here, you have a good one CT.

Regards.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175

Good Lord, brother, we could go on for hours about the effect affirmative action has had on the product that gets turned out.

No matter whether they were black, red, brown or white.........

Anyone using the guise of the letter of the law of no obligation to protect, doesn't deserve to wear a badge, whether it be NYC of Podunk, KY.

With the badge comes a moral obligation; if one cannot accept that, then he should look for another line of work, period.

I think most LEO's who post here are more than willing to accept that obligation but I can't understand making any kind of excuse, either legal-ease, or not for not penalizing the kind of behavior of the 2 NYC cops in this case...........& to get the full impact of the story, you must watch the entire video clip.

What I can say with certainty, is if that very same thing had happened to lots of folks that I know, at some point in time, those two "officers" mad would likely have simply disappeared.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

No sir, that's my opinion of Ed's character after having conversations with him, and your character after having discussions with you.
Perhaps we were raised with a different set of values, then. I was raised to believe that such tactics indicated a paucity of honor.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.