Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Use it for rats and snakes in the barns and sheds. Even at close range the shot won't penetrate tin or sheet metal.

Been times were I killed >20 rats in a single night using a single six. You'd run in with a flashlight and try to make the first six shots count then do your best to reload quickly before the stragglers get to cover. Fun times.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used one to kill a possum in the attic of the house. Up close and into the head and all was over.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Dad kept them loaded in a small .22 pistol when we went fishing. Not really sure what for... rogue snakes?

I know I nailed a few chipmunks back as a kid and they certainly didnt slow down any.

Are they really any account on snakes?

DO you use them? Have you found them to be useful for anything??

We keep a revolver loaded with them in the boat for snakes. Fishing a bayou, we have run into nests of water moccasins that wanted in the boat with us. Works a lot better than two guys jumping up and down trying to whack the boarders with paddles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Starlings in the outbuildings is the only use I've found for em. Tried em on rats at 12-15 feet, didn't stop em.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"I know you can shoot your little brother with them and he will live to rat you out."

CrowRifle....you must be my older brother!!!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I just do not have any use for them. You must be very close to kill anything. In a pistol with snake at your feet it will kill.

My experience is the same as yours. I don't like getting that close to a snake to use this dustshot. I've shot about 6-8 rattlers with this stuff and all the seemed to do is curl up rattle and get pissed off. One lad said that you had to shoot them 2-3 times to kill'em and he is probably right.

I like a shotgun, when handy, or just plain lead, .22lr or .40S&W

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used them years ago......
and learned how to cuss. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used one once to evaporate a hornet on a juniper branch once and caught the ricochet full in the face. No damage, except to the hornet, which I could not find. Stung a bit though. And I still have my eyes.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
most guys use ccis but I can tell you from lots of experience that winchesters are the only way to go for 22 shotshells. you get twice the effective range. I shot bullfrogs with them for years and if you hit them in the back and head it paralizes them instantly.. when I was a kid I would spotlight rats in the barn and literally killed buckets full. Lots of clean fun for a farm boy.. if you carry them for snakes and use anything but the winchesters multiple shots are needed, never needed more than one shot with the wins...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I kill upward of a hundred watersnakes every summer. With the CCIs, I rarely need more than one shot from the Henry, usually from 6-8ft.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I know that a round applied to the ass of the neighborhood dog while it head is buried deep in the garbage can it knocked over in our yard was sufficient to cause said dog to try to leave the can through the bottom. The can is probably still in low-earth orbit!

laugh laugh

I've used them to shoot chipmunks around my house out in the woods[reg..22 rifle ammo to dangerous], and I used them to shoot mice in the fur shed out of my Ruger Single Six.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maddog
... I used them to shoot mice in the fur shed out of my Ruger Single Six.

I find that if you give your guns a regular shampoo and brushing, they don't shed nearly as much. grin

Last edited by natman; 02/12/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
Starlings in the outbuildings is the only use I've found for em. Tried em on rats at 12-15 feet, didn't stop em.

I have used 22 LR shotshells on mice and small snakes,

and 22 MAG shotshells on rats and bigger snakes. Both with good results.

Anyone have the shot size difference between the two ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The ones I've seen were marked #11 some brands, #12 on others.

I've killed a lot of copperheads and cotton mouths with LR shot loads. Usually 4-12 feet away.

Leaving the woods late one evening the bats were flying like crazy. I managed to get two out of six shots.

Last time I looked they were priced at $10 a box.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Why would anyone shoot a chipmunk, unless it was burrowing under your house.

They seem so happy all the time, my dad used to say he wished he was a chipmunk..

Didn't live around Crocketnj, did he? wink

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

The ones we used were the all metal kinds with the front crimped over. I cant imagine them being much account on anything bigger than insects. I think they had #12 shot.

The rogue chipmunks were room distance away, probably 10-12 feet. No sign of a hit. Maybe ole Alvin is tougher than he looked!?

That you guys were able to take out mice and rats and birds and snakes is pretty wild. I guess they are definitely more useful than I remembered as a kid.

Thanks for the reports.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You really need a smoothbore to make the shotshells shine. I have a Remington 572 smoothbore that really increases the range over a normal rifled barrel 22LR. I've killed sparrows, chipmunks, etc. with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the paddle method on those.

I got one of those electric fly swatters that look like a badminton racket. Lots of fun. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by websterparish47
The ones I've seen were marked #11 some brands, #12 on others.

I've killed a lot of copperheads and cotton mouths with LR shot loads. Usually 4-12 feet away.

Leaving the woods late one evening the bats were flying like crazy. I managed to get two out of six shots.

Last time I looked they were priced at $10 a box.

Got this info right off the box:
CCI 22 WMR shotshell
1/8 oz. #12 shot (approx. 175 pellets)

I like them....except the cost.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used the old CCI 22LR shotshells to dispatch bats inside a log cabin.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,720
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.