-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It seems whenever a question like this is asked, a lot of replies go the "how small can you go" route which is usually interesting if not very helpful. In this same context I think Jim Carmichael once referred to these as "cocktail time cartridges". Like the story of the indian gal who killed a grizzley or brown bear with a 22 LR, they make for good conversation.

The OP stated he's interested in going bigger than he has and mentioned a few appropriate choices he's considering. It's not so much about what you could do it with as what can be counted on to work all the time in all conditions--a matter of proportions one might say. Even by that criteria, there are still a whole handful of cartridges that qualify but I feel that anyone who likes rifles and hunting ought to have a 375 (early on I thought the H&H but now would include the Ruger also) at least once some time in their pilgramage. They really are cartridges of great balance and compromise. Though the word "compromise" is usually not used in a complimentary way, in this case I mean it to be.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.375 H&H would be my choice.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi, I think that the 340 would be a great pick. I think that the Fiber Mark would be better as it is cheaper and lighter. My 340 Wby was MK5 Deluxe in 300 Wby that I had Weatherby re barrel it to 340 in 1989. In 1994 I had it bedded in my old Mc Millan stock that was on my old 300. I have made brass from 8mm Rem mag by running them over a tapered expander ball in an older Hornady die set. The case has to be fire formed with a lighter load, (81 gr RL-22 250 gr bullet) or the case will fail. The best case has been the Rem 300 Wby brass necked up. I have loaded high power loads in it and no problems, just start the loads a few grains less than in Wby cases. I have shot over 800 rds now of 340 Wby, it can kick but with practice you should do good. Mine likes the 250 gr bullet best but I have been using the 225 Nosler Part with the same charge that I use for the 250 gr Part it shoots nice. I have had 2 8mm Remington rifles and felt that the 8mm mag had sharper recoil than the 340. I did have a KDF put on my rifle in 1994 as I wanted it to kick less than my 378 that has a KDF on it. If you get a brake on it remove it for hunting. Good Luck, Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gerrygoat already touched on it, but apparently the farther anybody lives from brown bear country, the bigger the cartridge the recommend.

The same is pretty much true of elk.

John,

Gerryboat nailed it but most of us (up here) dont have internet and never heard about the new kevlar bears ... my wife used her 270 win without being on this website and of course she s not aware this caliber was inadequate ...

Phil

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you dont want to buy a rifle to use maybe once, you are more than welcome to use my .375 HH. It is a Remington XCR II. I used it this year on my moose hunt using 250 gr TTSX's. It has a 3x9x40 VX 2 w/ Talley thumb quick disconnects and I replaced the stock w/ a HS Precision.
If you want to use it, I can send it down to you and you can drop it back off to me after your hunt. I am assuming you will fly in and out of Anchorage. I live just outside in Eagle River.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It sounds like you want to buy another rifle and a hunt to an area you don't regularly have access to is as good a reason as any.

FWIW I think the 340 would be plenty. Buy your 340 and start practicing. Get real comfortable with it and it will do everything you need it to.

I would recommend the Swift AFrames in a 250 or 275 grn as I have found that they hold together pretty well under duress.

I shoot a 338wm and it has worked well on a number of bears as well as two Grizzlies.

This is a 275 grain Swift AFrame after breaking a couple of ribs, traversing a chest cavity, smashing through a shoulder blade, and then coming to a rest on the opposite side of entry just under the skin on the shoulder. The bullet now weighs 269 grains - pretty good retention.

[Linked Image]

IIRC everytime I have been facing a grizzly every rifle I have had in my hands felt too small. I cannot over emphasize the importance of getting very proficient and comfortable with your rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
340 Bee with 250 Partition.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A .340 WBY would be more than adequate IMO, especially for grizz where you may stretch your legs a bit. I've hunted the AK Penn for brownies twice and carried a .375 H&H loaded with 300 grain North Fork SP's and did not feel overgunned, however, my guides on both hunts had .338 Win Mags loaded with 250 grain Nosler Partitions. It was there go to rifle for sheep to brownies. As far as recoil, the .375 won't slap you as much as the .340, the WBY has more "perceived" recoil IMO. Good luck and have fun!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never hunted BB or Grizzly . However I would pull from my safe a 300 H&H and load it with 200 grain partitions. And my 9.3x62 mauser and load it with 250 accubonds or 250 TSX's. And feel good to go.

Last edited by sidepass; 12/12/12.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certainly not a wide sampling on my part ( guessing 50 big game animals ,deer not included) , but in Central BC, I feel quite comfortable with a 35 Whelen or 9.3 sumthin'. I have not noticed any 'on game' performance of these compared to a 375 or 338 magnum. I carry a 30-06 a lot these days, and no I don't have a death wish.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
I was recently invited to attend a Brown Bear hunt in Alaska next year. Currently, the largest caliber I own is a 270 Weatherby Mag. Knowing it wouldn't be a wise choice to chase big bears with a 270 Roy, I would like to step up to a larger caliber. I really like the Weatherby Accumark and was thinking of either the 338-378,30-378 or the 340. I'm kind of leaning towards the 340 as it's not quite as overbore and wouldn't chew up the barrel as quickly. Do you think the 340 would be more than adequate for Browns or should I look to one of the 378 based cartridges?

lots o good responses but how do you handle recoil?

Hard to say as the biggest cartridge I've shot is an 8 mm Rem Mag. It didn't bother me. Generally speaking, heavy recoiling guns haven't been an issue. Then again, I've never pulled the trigger on something like a 340 or 375.

Never shot a 340 Wby myself, but I do shoot a 338 Win Mag (my favorite caliber) as well as a 416 Rem. If you are talking 375 H&H it has a push rather a harsh recoil. Your 340 would do well but I would shy away from a brake.

I've owned a .338 Win Mag and a .340 Wby. I now own a M-70 SS Classic .375 H&H, the others went down the road. I'd rather shoot the .375 H&H than the other two. Not as bone jarring as the faster rounds. Big push, not that unpleasant, IMHO.

That's what I would take on a Brown Bear hunt.

DF

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
8mm rem mag with a 250 grain. watch for the recoil.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My pick would be 375 H&H, 9.3x62mm and 338 win mag..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a 50 caliber with a FMJ. That way, you can safely stay a thousand yards away...........LOL.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I were going after a Brown Bear or Grizzly, I am pretty sure I would take my old M70 Alaskan 338 Win Mag, stoked with 225 or 250 grain PT's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Matter of fact, I think it would be alot of fun to roam the country my rifle was named after.. Might have to wait till I retire first though!

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
.300 Win/.300 WBY, or .375 H&H would be my picks in whatever rifle you want. If I wanted bigger than a .300 I would go to the .375.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I couldn't help but dig this up. Been mulling over a 'bear' rifle for a long while now, and have yet to make a decision myself. 280 with heavy tsx, 35 whelen, or 9.3x62, 338-06 seem to be my candidates.

However the reason I am posting is the following information. Taken directly from the Alaska Game Fish and Parks website in regards to caliber/cartridge choice for alaskan game. Enjoy!

"The bore size, bullet weight, and velocity are of secondary importance to precise bullet placement in the vital heart-lung area.

Select a quality bullet

If you presently own a rifle chambered for the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester or .30-06 and can place all of your shots in an 8-inch circle out to 200 yards from a sitting or kneeling position you can be a successful Alaska hunter. To be as effective as possible, these cartridges should be loaded with premium quality bullets that are designed to pass completely through a large game animal, if hit in the heart-lung area.

Big Magnums Not Needed

The rifle you bring hunting should be one with which you are comfortable. Because of the presence of brown and grizzly bears, many hunters have been convinced that a .300, .338, .375, or .416 magnum is needed for personal protection and to take large Alaska game. This is simply not true. The recoil and noise of these large cartridges is unpleasant at best and plainly painful to many shooters. It is very difficult to concentrate on shot placement when your brain and body remembers the unpleasant recoil and noise which occurs when you pull the trigger on one of the big magnums.

The two most common complaints of professional Alaska guides are hunters who are not in good physical condition and hunters who cannot accurately shoot their rifles. Because these hunters do not practice enough they cannot shoot accurately enough. They miss their best chance at taking their dream animal or worse yet, they wound and lose an animal. Most experienced guides prefer that a hunter come to camp with a .270 or .30-06 rifle they can shoot well rather than a shiny new magnum that has been fired just enough to get sighted-in. If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler� or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement. Only consider using a .300, .338 or larger magnum if you can shoot it as well as you can the .30-06."

Food for thought

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
the last big brown I've seen up close and personal was two summers ago and all I had was a 7ft spinning rod in my hands. I definitely felt under gunned. If ever I hunt one of those brutes it'll be with something that has a good sized hole down the barrel. I've shot a .375HH some and while I wouldn"t chose it for a day of PD shooting its recoil ain't all that bad. So that would be my choice.

Last edited by super T; 02/11/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Well I couldn't help but dig this up. Been mulling over a 'bear' rifle for a long while now, and have yet to make a decision myself. 280 with heavy tsx, 35 whelen, or 9.3x62, 338-06 seem to be my candidates.

However the reason I am posting is the following information. Taken directly from the Alaska Game Fish and Parks website in regards to caliber/cartridge choice for alaskan game. Enjoy!

"The bore size, bullet weight, and velocity are of secondary importance to precise bullet placement in the vital heart-lung area.

Select a quality bullet

If you presently own a rifle chambered for the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester or .30-06 and can place all of your shots in an 8-inch circle out to 200 yards from a sitting or kneeling position you can be a successful Alaska hunter. To be as effective as possible, these cartridges should be loaded with premium quality bullets that are designed to pass completely through a large game animal, if hit in the heart-lung area.

Big Magnums Not Needed

The rifle you bring hunting should be one with which you are comfortable. Because of the presence of brown and grizzly bears, many hunters have been convinced that a .300, .338, .375, or .416 magnum is needed for personal protection and to take large Alaska game. This is simply not true. The recoil and noise of these large cartridges is unpleasant at best and plainly painful to many shooters. It is very difficult to concentrate on shot placement when your brain and body remembers the unpleasant recoil and noise which occurs when you pull the trigger on one of the big magnums.

The two most common complaints of professional Alaska guides are hunters who are not in good physical condition and hunters who cannot accurately shoot their rifles. Because these hunters do not practice enough they cannot shoot accurately enough. They miss their best chance at taking their dream animal or worse yet, they wound and lose an animal. Most experienced guides prefer that a hunter come to camp with a .270 or .30-06 rifle they can shoot well rather than a shiny new magnum that has been fired just enough to get sighted-in. If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler� or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement. Only consider using a .300, .338 or larger magnum if you can shoot it as well as you can the .30-06."

Food for thought

I got that off the Alaska site and shared it with a Grizzly guide while trying to show him my .30-06 was completely adequate. He told me that was drawn up from the imagination of a pencil pusher in Juneau who has no idea what digging up a wounded Grizzly out of the Devils club entails. He then told me that if I were to book I'd need at least a .338 Win mag to hunt with him. I didn't book but it's still on my to do list and no matter who I book with I'll bring at least .33 caliber I expect.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Select a quality bullet

Big Magnums Not Needed

Food for thought

I got that off the Alaska site and shared it with a Grizzly guide while trying to show him my .30-06 was completely adequate. He told me that was drawn up from the imagination of a pencil pusher in Juneau who has no idea what digging up a wounded Grizzly out of the Devils club entails. He then told me that if I were to book I'd need at least a .338 Win mag to hunt with him. I didn't book but it's still on my to do list and no matter who I book with I'll bring at least .33 caliber I expect.

Not all guides may have .33 caliber minimum. A guided hunt can be done successfully with lesser caliber as the guide will (or should) have a stopping rifle. Some of it has to do with terrain and thickness of cover. Barren ground grizzlies are hunted above tree line and shots are at longer range in country open enough that may permit follow up shots and provide fewer hiding spots for bears. Brown bears in southeast Alaska, unless they are caught out on the beach or grassy tidal flats may disappear into impenetrable thickets before a second shot can be made.

I used to shoot with a highly successful brown bear guide who was very modest (you had to pry info out of him). A guide has to shoot only after things have gone badly (the bear hasn�t gone down and is headed for heavy cover), as a courtesy to the client the guide doesn�t want to shoot too soon and gives the client a chance at a second shot so it can be �his bear�, but at the same time once the bear makes the cover it becomes the guides bear to root out.

As I spoke with my friend he mentioned the different calibers he�d used over the years. In his salad days he used a .30-06 (which led to some exciting moments). Later he switched to a .375 HH which he said worked fine on spring bears, but sometimes lacked penetration on fall bears. He then went with a .458 Win which had great stopping power, but lacked the trajectory for that last second shot on a wounded bear just before it entered cover.

One of his clients offered him a custom rifle as a tip and he chose a controlled feed .416 Rem Mag. The last I spoke with him, he and his fellow bear guides were quite pleased with the .416 with 325 grain X-Bullets (yes, I know they�ve been discontinued) as a trade off as both a long range bullet and a stopping round.

All that said, I have hunted the past thirty-some years with the .338 Win and I feel that it is the right balance of caliber, bullet weight, energy and trajectory for Alaska (granted I made my decision when core & cup were all that were readily available).

I�ve always hunted alone and never been on a guided hunt, but with a second rifle (especially a stopping rifle in experienced hands) I can�t see a guide restricting you to a .338 minimum.

Last edited by Sourdough54; 02/12/13.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 9 invisible), 978 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,088
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.