-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In '95 I ordered a Rem 700 BDL LH in .22-250. It was a great rifle and one that I have never got over selling.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Mine is my Kimber of Oregon M84 in 6x47.

Another picture of it. (Yes I know I'm shameless!)

[Linked Image]

Please tell me that's an aftermarket glass stock and that you didn't paint a factory KofO wood stock!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope. Chrome Moly. Contrary to what has been sold on GB I don't believe the Mathieu actions were ever made in Stainless.
just my .02

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Mine is my Kimber of Oregon M84 in 6x47.

Another picture of it. (Yes I know I'm shameless!)

[Linked Image]

Please tell me that's an aftermarket glass stock and that you didn't paint a factory KofO wood stock!

The AA walnut was nice but I like the look of Rustoleum better so the rattle can went to work.
Everyone has walnut, not everyone has an original interpretation of a Jackson Pollock piece on their rifle.

Just kidding! It is a fiberglass (Kevlar?) stock of indeterminate origin.
Possibly MPI?
Nice egros, stiff and 19.3 oz.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by DavidHouston
The other was a Browning T-Bolt, also bought at introduction (about 1965) and I believe the first .22 LH available. I don't miss the Savage but I really would like to have the T-Bolt back. Indeed, the CZ is at Briley as I write this, challenging a gun smith to get as much creep as possible out of the trigger and maybe even a clean break (he isn't all that optimistic).

In case you are not aware, Browning are making T-bolts again and they are available in LH in a number of rimfire calibres.

With my CZ I didnt attempt to adjust the trigger and simply swapped in a Timney trigger. I also fitted a trigger shoe and very happy with the way it turned out. For an inexpensive rifle these are a great option to have available in left hand.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
nsaqm, I was about to call you a bad name for painting a factory stock!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Toss-up between a Remington 788 in 6mm Remington with a custom E.C. Bishop & Sons stock or an original Grade I Browning T-Bolt.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
About ten years ago I picked up a left-handed straight-pull Ross M10 in 30-06. Had a regular right handed M10 in .280 Ross, too, but I never fired either one.

D
D
JFE: I think I bought my CZ before I knew they put the T-Bolt back in the catalog. I remembered some differences between the new and the old so I just checked out the Browning catalog and some posts. The varmint model in .17 or .22 mag is attractive. I think I'm going be on the lookout to replace my original one, though.

My CZ is at Briley to see what they can do with the trigger. They didn't suggest an after market and I hadn't seen any posts that mentioned the Timney. The attraction of Briley is that they do really good work and they're only 15 minutes away. The downside (that comes with being good) is that turn around time is usually slow plus gunsmithing is a adjunct to manufacturing.

As I posted earlier, their gunsmith wasn't terribly optimistic about the outcome of his efforts. If I'm not satisfied with the way it turns out, I'll go for the Timney.

Thanks for the tip!

I still haven't made it out to my studio to shoot (with a camera) my rifles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't know how rare these are, but you don't see many come up for sale. I bought it in the mid 80's when the importer cut the price of the left handed ones by two thirds.

Attached Images
steyr1IMG_0665.JPG (58.3 KB, 646 downloads)
steyrIMG_0666.JPG (69.45 KB, 685 downloads)

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tmitch
Don't know how rare these are, but you don't see many come up for sale. I bought it in the mid 80's when the importer cut the price of the left handed ones by two thirds.

What chambering is that little honey?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three left hand Kimber of Oregon rifles, all with the same serial number.

LH Model 82 22rf
LH Model 82 22Hornet
LH Model 84 223

Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

What chambering is that little honey?

6.5x55. Very accurate, mild recoil and kills deer without any drama.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
LH Mathieu in 340Wby.

F
F
Personally, I find it scandalous that left-handed, bolt-action rifles are "rare" at all.
Why isn't there a left-handed version of every right-handed model out there?
Are southpaws the only remaining minority group that doesn't rate any consideration whatsoever?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Fiddler
Personally, I find it scandalous that left-handed, bolt-action rifles are "rare" at all. Why isn't there a left-handed version of every right-handed model out there? Are southpaws the only remaining minority group that doesn't rate any consideration whatsoever?

The issue is that we have not made enough of stink (or paid enough politicians) to become a protected class. Yes, Left Handers are discriminated against. Unfortunately, it is perfectly legal to do so. Several years ago, I thought it might be interesting to investigate a class action law suit against firearms manufacturers to force them to offer the same selection of options in LH rifles as are offered in RH rifles, and to offer them at the same price as RH rifles. But, after thinking about it, one of the potential outcomes would be that some of the manufacturers might simply fold up shop rather than litigate. Since the goal would be to INCREASE selection, an option that might DECREASE selection is probably not the best curse of action.

But, yes, it sucks that we are openly discriminated against, without any recourse.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You guys are kiddin', right? Given that left handers make up only 10% of the population, from a buisiness aspect I'm surprised at the options we DO have.

Charter Member

szihn

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You guys are kiddin', right? ...

Uh, no... In this case it is about equality:

Left Handers = 10% of population
Mixed Handers = ~20%
ADA Severe disabilities = 12%
ADA Non-severe disabilities = 7%
LGBTQ = 5% to 6%

Numerically, Left handers are on par with the Severely disabled, and double the LGBTQ population. If you include Mixed Handers, people who switch hands based on the task (in the case of shooters, think cross eye dominant, blind in dominant eye, shoulder injury) the potential left hand population eclipses all ADA and LGBTQ populations combined. However, there is no legal requirement for "accommodation" of the left hand population.

Myself and 30 million other Americans were born left handed. We did not "choose" to be left handed. From a purely numerical stand point, there are much smaller populations of people who receive legal protection because they were "born that way" than left handers.

If I want a LH SS M70 in .30-06, why should I have to pay 2x to 3x the cost of the same rifle in RH configuration, just to put the bolt on the opposite side of the receiver ? We don't tell restaurant patrons in wheel chairs that they have to pay 2x or 3x the menu price to cover the cost of the wheel chair ramp out front. We don't tell restaurant patrons in wheelchairs that they can only choose 20% of the available menu options. But that is essentially what happens to Left Hand firearms owners year in and year out.

Am I going to run out and hire Johnny Cochran ? No. But, the fact that Left Handers are not a legally recognized "protected class" does not mean that there is not discrimination...

nsaqam, My apologies in advance for derailing your thread... blush

Citations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness
http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p70-131.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
please keep in mind that my previous post is in the spirit of open debate/discussion. not an attack on tmitch or anyone else... I'm not offended. And hopefully I do not offend no one else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are kiddin', right? Given that left handers make up only 10% of the population, from a buisiness aspect I'm surprised at the options we DO have.
A voice of reason always seems to rise above the din of insanity. Out of the 10%, how many actually SHOOT left handed? And how many of that actually USE a left-handed rifle?

I have met innumerable people -- anecdotal information that's worth at least as much as any horseshit from Wikipedia -- who are genuinely left-handed without any opposite eye dominance and shoot right-handed because that's how they were taught. (Or in the case of a co-worker, because he didn't want to be "different" when he was growing up.) I had a former co-worker who was genuinely left-handed who would NOT buy anything left-handed, because he was concerned that his children be able to use or sell anything of his when he's gone. (He's also a dunce, but that's another matter.)

If a firearms manufacturer were to offer left-handed models of everything they make in otherwise right-handed configurations, there would be a LOT of guns sitting in warehouses and sold off for pennies on the dollar; i.e., tmitch's Steyr 6.5x55mm. When T/C still had an excellent custom shop, the old Fox Ridge Outfitters, they offered a "custom" Renegade muzzleloader variant, the Fox Ridge Outfitters Rifle. (A Renegade with better than average wood, single trigger, recoil pad, and sling swivels.) I bought one in late 1995 and decided to buy a second in late 1997. The second was numbered consecutively to the first. I asked FRO about this and they flat stated "Our left-handed guns don't sell well. We're planning on discontinuing them within the next year." Which they did as did their parent, T/C, within a couple of years of that.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 1minute, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.