Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm sure I'll get toasted, but if somebody is looking for "accuracy", a Ruger ain't the way to go. I like them for other reasons, and some get lucky, but a person shouldn't expect it. Tht said, I've not seen any that shoot REALLY bad. Not 3 moa with handloads, for sure.

Ok, lt, don't want to disappoint. smile

Mule Deer: Re: old or new Ruger77 accuracy
I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287"), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and the trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do.

The big problem I've seen with some of the tang-safety rifles is very long throats in some older chamberings, such as 7x57.

Boxer � Big Stick
I�ve Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for �accuracy� woe which I�ve yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the input

I never thought it was inherently not accurate, was just asking.

Have the bedding and floating covered already.

Seems like a few have had accuracy issues but mostly they shoot well enough.

Prompts me into trying a bit of loading for him when I get time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One thing ... I'm not sure free-floating is the way to go on a Ruger. There's a local gunsmith who claims he's never failed to get a 77 or 77 mk II to shoot MOA or better. He says what he does is bed the action only, retain or even increase the front pressure point, then make sure there is no contact between the stock and barrel from the front of the action to the pressure point.

Dunno. In this wet country, with a wood stock, I insist on free floating with a wide enough gap I can verify it at any time 'cause wood warps and moves POI. His method probably works fine under constant humidity, but here, constant it ain't. A half MOA group that moves 3 inches a day is no better than a 3 MOA group.

... just thinkin' out loud, worth at least half what you paid for it. smile

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
80 grain ttsx's and imr4064 works wonderfly in my hawkeye.
3300-3400 fps, and 5 dead antelope says it works. The longest being 550 yards.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This post will upset many of you. You have been warned. My rifle mentor made a practice of rechambering pre-64 model 70's in 257 Roberts to 25-06. This was in the 60's. He said they always shot better as 25-06's. I had this done to my first hunting rifle which was a transition Super Grade.

Oh yes, it shot better groups. Killed thousands of Idaho jacks with it.

Last edited by RinB; 02/14/13.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Talked with his brother at lunch... reminded me I'd gone the reloading route before and nothing changed, still shot 3ish MOA..

I dont' even remember that unless i gave him a few of other loads I've loaded for other friends.

At this point I'd say rebarrel it would be a close guarantee, at same or less cost than new gun. But its a ruger and I just don't care for them, but I've seen some rebarreled that shoot really well.

A friend sent in a 7 mag with a ring in it to them once, they barreled it for little of nothign. Probably won't do it here unless there is an obvious issue.

I think he is set on trading it and buying a Winchester in 257 Robt at this time. Not sure the Win would be any better?

Any bad or good news on Kimbers? Lately?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I think he is set on trading it and buying a Winchester in 257 Robt at this time. Not sure the Win would be any better?"

I have a Winchester M70 FWT push feed in .257 Roberts. I also have a Ruger #1B in the .257 Bob.

I'll comment on the Ruger first. When I bought it at a gun show it came with 5 boxes of Norma ammo. The seller said it was sighted in with that ammo. Not only was it sighted in but the rifle put 5 shots into a hair over .50". I hoard that ammo like it was gold as I don't see the .257 Bob on Norma's site. frown

On the M70 FWY, my ex-son in law bought one and I helped him with load work up. before shooting it he took it to my gunsmith for a well needed trigger job, had the action glass bedded and the barrel free floated. MOst of he loads we rann through it have been one inch or less; mostly less. cool
About 6 months later I found ond at a gun show NIB and snapped it up like a hungry cat on a slow mouse. THis one did not shoot so good. frown Off to the gunsmith's for a glass bedding, trigger job and barrel float. Not much help. I absolutely hate 120 gr. bullets and the 100 gr. Sierras (Pro-hunter & Game king) would do much better than 1.5-1.75". frown Not much help there.
About this time my ex-SIL decided to play with 100 gr. barnes TSX bullets and as usual his rifle put them into very nice groups. I figured I might as well give them a try. I worked up to the max load in the Barnes manual but accuracy was not better. At least they met my maximum allowable standard of 1.5" so I could use the load for a hunt.
One day I got a bit of a wild hair up and hit the range with the .257 FWT and my Lyman tong tool. I fired 3 shots with the bullets seated as is. I let the rifle cool and set the seating die of the Lyman tool to just touch the current load setting, then turned it down one full turn. The next 3 shots did 1.25", the best group that rifle has ever given. I gave the rifle a good long time to cool down and shot another group at that setting. This one was at 1.20". I have to wonder if seating it any deeper will make a difference. Couldn't try it that day as I'd shot up the last 9 cartridges I had loaded up. I'm gonna try that with the 140 gr. Sierra and the 120 gr. Speer and see if they too will give better groups. One of these days I'll have to try those loads in the Ruger.
According to the reference section in one of my Speer manuals, Reminton, Ruger and Winchester have 1 in 10" twists.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How does the Crown look on the rifle. Maybe have a recessed target crown done???

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"I think he is set on trading it and buying a Winchester in 257 Robt at this time. Not sure the Win would be any better?"

I have a Winchester M70 FWT push feed in .257 Roberts. I also have a Ruger #1B in the .257 Bob.

I'll comment on the Ruger first. When I bought it at a gun show it came with 5 boxes of Norma ammo. The seller said it was sighted in with that ammo. Not only was it sighted in but the rifle put 5 shots into a hair over .50". I hoard that ammo like it was gold as I don't see the .257 Bob on Norma's site. frown

On the M70 FWY, my ex-son in law bought one and I helped him with load work up. before shooting it he took it to my gunsmith for a well needed trigger job, had the action glass bedded and the barrel free floated. MOst of he loads we rann through it have been one inch or less; mostly less. cool
About 6 months later I found ond at a gun show NIB and snapped it up like a hungry cat on a slow mouse. THis one did not shoot so good. frown Off to the gunsmith's for a glass bedding, trigger job and barrel float. Not much help. I absolutely hate 120 gr. bullets and the 100 gr. Sierras (Pro-hunter & Game king) would do much better than 1.5-1.75". frown Not much help there.
About this time my ex-SIL decided to play with 100 gr. barnes TSX bullets and as usual his rifle put them into very nice groups. I figured I might as well give them a try. I worked up to the max load in the Barnes manual but accuracy was not better. At least they met my maximum allowable standard of 1.5" so I could use the load for a hunt.
One day I got a bit of a wild hair up and hit the range with the .257 FWT and my Lyman tong tool. I fired 3 shots with the bullets seated as is. I let the rifle cool and set the seating die of the Lyman tool to just touch the current load setting, then turned it down one full turn. The next 3 shots did 1.25", the best group that rifle has ever given. I gave the rifle a good long time to cool down and shot another group at that setting. This one was at 1.20". I have to wonder if seating it any deeper will make a difference. Couldn't try it that day as I'd shot up the last 9 cartridges I had loaded up. I'm gonna try that with the 140 gr. Sierra and the 120 gr. Speer and see if they too will give better groups. One of these days I'll have to try those loads in the Ruger.
According to the reference section in one of my Speer manuals, Reminton, Ruger and Winchester have 1 in 10" twists.
Paul B.

140 grain Sierra ????

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm sure I'll get toasted, but if somebody is looking for "accuracy", a Ruger ain't the way to go. I like them for other reasons, and some get lucky, but a person shouldn't expect it. Tht said, I've not seen any that shoot REALLY bad. Not 3 moa with handloads, for sure.
+1, minute of big game and truely accurate is two different things

Last edited by ldholton; 02/14/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of the Rem 700 Classics in .257 Robt. when they came out in either 1982 or 1984 (memory fails me as to exactly when).

The gun had a 3'' chamber. Light bullets under 100 grains shot well as did 120 grainers especially the Hornady 120 gr. H.P.

Never did find a good load with the 100 grain bullets but this never bothered me.

It was a pleasant caliber to shoot and I liked it just a little better than the .243 calibers I've had.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I bought one of the Rem 700 Classics in .257 Robt. when they came out in either 1982 or 1984 (memory fails me as to exactly when).

The gun had a 3'' chamber. Light bullets under 100 grains shot well as did 120 grainers especially the Hornady 120 gr. H.P.

Never did find a good load with the 100 grain bullets but this never bothered me.

It was a pleasant caliber to shoot and I liked it just a little better than the .243 calibers I've had.

Jim

Remington classic in 257 was 1982. Have two of them.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 02/15/13.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"140 grain Sierra ????"

Sorry, typo. blush
Should have been 100 gr.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It may be worthwhile to get a chamber cast of the rifle (Cerrosafe from Brownell's).

Could be any number of issues: reloading, bore diameter, uniformity of bore (tight/loose spots), rough /diry (copper fouling) deposits, poor chambering (which may be related to an earlier post stating rechambered 257 Roberts M70s shot better as a 25-06), headspacing, amount of freebore/throat length).

Try slugging the bore with a soft lead projectile, but do it in 2-4" sections (push slug 2-4 inches IN from chamber, then out back through chamber, then do another slug 4-8" in, then out, then another slug ~ 12" in/out, then another ~ 16" in/out, etc. Kepp them in order. You are fingerprinting the diameter of the bore. You may find a tight or loose spot. Heck, do it every 2" if you have enough soft lead slugs. The more the better.

Other potential issues: stress on action (front/rear action bolt tension bending the action? You said it was bedded though.), Scope ring lapping (stress to action), crown (nicks, oval/round, square muzzle for uniform gas relief upon bullet base exited barrel, lug contact (both lugs at least 50%? may need lapping, but then watch headspace).

Could try firelapping the bore.

Could be something else-just have to systematically try each thing, and keep records.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My tang safety M77 was built in 1989. I acquired it very slightly used in in 2004. The throat is long and I seat bullets accordingly. It is very accurate with 75g V-MAX, as the photo below demonstrates.

[Linked Image]

In addition to the V-MAX, accurate handloads include 100g TTSX, 110g AccuBond, 115g TSX and 120g A-Frame.

There are reasons it is my favorite rifle and accuracy is just one.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a 257 BYOB MkII. Floated the barrel, did the "lug" bed and a trigger job on it.

It's flung bullets from 75gr V-Maxes, 85 BT's, 90 Sierras, 100 Sierras, Nozzy Parts and TSX's all under an inch for 5 shots.

Only turd bullet has been the 110 Succubond.

All seated to their individual ability to kiss; should note some brass, new WW's in particular, with horrid runout, even after truing and firing.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Ruger 1A in 257R shoots 3 - 110AB � H100v into less than an inch at 100. It ain�t target rifle accuracy, but then it ain�t a target rifle.

I have a Kimber Classic Select in that chambering and it also does well with that load. I have not shot it from the bench so I can�t give specific numbers, but off hand it shoots accurately enough.

Added - the 1A Ruger has a long throat and I seat to the lands. One of the nice things about a #1, no magazine OAL to contend with. The Kimber is loaded to the magazine max allowed COAL.

Last edited by AJD; 02/16/13.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner

One day I got a bit of a wild hair up and hit the range with the .257 FWT and my Lyman tong tool. I fired 3 shots with the bullets seated as is. I let the rifle cool and set the seating die of the Lyman tool to just touch the current load setting, then turned it down one full turn. The next 3 shots did 1.25", the best group that rifle has ever given. I gave the rifle a good long time to cool down and shot another group at that setting. This one was at 1.20". I have to wonder if seating it any deeper will make a difference. Paul B.

I have a Browning 223 like that. If I seat to the lands, the cartridge gets really long, and inaccurate and will not fit the magazine. If I seat to SAMI spec, it is very accurate.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, there ya go. Load up, find the sweet spot and kill stuff.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Never saw an accuracy issue with a dozen different ones over the years..... Great cartridge!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.