-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's called stockpiling. I started the day after the election 2008 when I pushed a shopping cart full of ammo around Cabelas. They looked at me like I was nuts. Even a couple of employees asked what I was going to do with it. That was just the start, as I continued to purchase ammunition over the past four years. I'm up to over 13,000 rounds today, including hundreds of rounds of 22LR and 22WMR.

Eventually things will calm down, even though I doubt ammo prices will return to pre-December 2012 levels. When things do calm down and product is available once again - start buying, and don't stop until you have completely filled one large closet with ammunition. Look at it as your personal insurance policy against the next run on ammunition - and there will be more in the future.

Last edited by walt501; 02/14/13.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Walt... I have taken basically the same approach. Not as aggressively, perhaps, but basically the same.

I'm a bit low on 22RF, but i don't shoot a lot of it since I quit shooting Bullseye. Otherwise, I'm GTG for several years (including competitive pistol).

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by walt501
It's called stockpiling. I started the day after the election 2008 when I pushed a shopping cart full of ammo around Cabelas. They looked at me like I was nuts. Even a couple of employees asked what I was going to do with it. That was just the start, as I continued to purchase ammunition over the past four years. I'm up to over 13,000 rounds today, including hundreds of rounds of 22LR and 22WMR.

Eventually things will calm down, even though I doubt ammo prices will return to pre-December 2012 levels. When things do calm down and product is available once again - start buying, and don't stop until you have completely filled one large closet with ammunition. Look at it as your personal insurance policy against the next run on ammunition - and there will be more in the future.
13000 rounds? I may have that much 22LR.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
13K of 22 ain't squat. Thats not quite 3 cases.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's getting ridiculous. I'm having a hell of a time securing 9mm ammo for my Guard Force in order to keep currency but even our Navy counterparts are down to 9K rounds (training).

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The vast majority of what I have is center fire ammo. But I suppose I do have a couple thousand rounds of rim fire. Maybe three thousand. Hell I'm not going to count it all! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by walt501

There is no doubt that a lot of the Walmart and other ammo that is being got in and then sold at the same prices that it sold for before Sandy Hook, is just being bought by guys who are re-selling it at that weekend's gunshow for double the money or more. I'm neither condemning nor advocating the practice, just sayin'...

We get down on a lot of these guys that are frantically buying stuff. We've all got our priorities though. Jobs are harder to come by now. Plenty of people with not only education, but experience for lots of jobs, meaning that many recent college grads are and will stay underemployed at best, for the foreseeable future. You take these guys and also guys who have just turned eighteen or twenty-one, and they many times understandably, don't have the money for a bunch of ammo. I was pretty conservative and tried to keep at least a little on hand for my guns. With 22, back in the day (late seventies/early eighties), it wasn't hard. But even with what would be considered rock-bottom prices back then, it was hard to keep much centerfire ammo on hand. If you liked to shoot, you and your pards would shoot it all up and not have money for more. Then you've got college expenses, a girlfriend or wife...maybe a baby or one on the way. Your wife is bittching at you about non-essentials like disposable diapers and the like (why can't they just use the pin ups and wash 'em out like our moms did?) laugh Anyways, it's understandable that there are runs on stuff. You've got the NRA and other groups always harping on gun control and if you're a young guy out trying to work a couple of jobs and go to school, it's hard to really keep your ear to the ground on some stuff. So you're stuck after-the-fact playing catch-up and having to compete with a bunch of commie gun control advocates and Obama voters that want to get their guns now too as protection against all the Klan members and Tea Partiers who voted for such radical right wing fanatics like McCain and Romney.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
13K of 22 ain't squat. Thats not quite 3 cases.
I didn't say it was. I need more. laugh

But not at $80 a brick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NathanL

Apparently supply and demand is a foreign concept to many in this country.

It is a sad but true fact.

And

It is only sad depending on your spot.

When the price is too high I don't buy

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Quit bitchin about the price a learn to RELOAD!!! I can reload a chit-load of 9mms for $54!!!!

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Quit bitchin about the price a learn to RELOAD!!! I can reload a chit-load of 9mms for $54!!!!

You bet

but

Componets are getten hard to find too

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
22LR is the only one I care about, I can load the rest and I think I'm good for awhile.

Good with LR for a good piece too, but you can never have enough LR.

Maybe you should have bought 20,000 rds. 30 years back!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
10 cases is a good reserve of 22lr IMHO.Its cheap enough when its not in crisis.

But Archery sucks.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Originally Posted by Steelhead
22LR is the only one I care about, I can load the rest and I think I'm good for awhile.

Good with LR for a good piece too, but you can never have enough LR.

Maybe you should have bought 20,000 rds. 30 years back!!

Dude, I have that easily. Guess you didn't read what I typed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figure I have enough 22.lr to last thru my kids and possibly their kids lifetime. Now all I have to do is have kids.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Walt... I have taken basically the same approach. Not as aggressively, perhaps, but basically the same.

I'm a bit low on 22RF, but i don't shoot a lot of it since I quit shooting Bullseye. Otherwise, I'm GTG for several years (including competitive pistol).

Can I borrow some? grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rev579
mad
I sent this to their CS reps:
Selling a $10 box of 9mm, 115g American Eagle ammo for $54 will insure that every person on my forums will know that you are engaging in unreal and pathetic price gouging .

http://alamoammo.com/pistol-ammo/9m...r-fmj-50-rnds-m-id-ae9dp-upc-29465088224

You will never see a dime from me and I will suggest the same for others.

While this is as much a rant as anything else, I am thoroughly disgusted with an industry that is now creating, as well as participating in, an anxiety ladened market. I do hope hobbiest and collectors alike remember who have taken advantage of our brothers and sisters, friends and foes alike, during this idiotic panic.

And while we, more or less, all participated in this self-centered, run on ammo and firearms, it is time to make amends. It is time to right the ship and remember who we are and who we are not. Stop buying this stuff at inflated prices. If the practice of capitalism and even greed is what has driven up the prices, let it also have it level everything out. Don't be content with even $15 for a $10 box of ammo.

Be principled.
Have edifying character.

So what would you like to see? Maybe the government step in and sell ammo to protect us?

If you don't want to pay their prices, go somewhere else. How hard is that? If people are willing to pay them what they are asking, why shouldn't they sell it for that? Is this only America when you are saving money?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Rev579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
So what would you like to see? Maybe the government step in and sell ammo to protect us?

If you don't want to pay their prices, go somewhere else. How hard is that? If people are willing to pay them what they are asking, why shouldn't they sell it for that? Is this only America when you are saving money?

Kodak, apparently "what I would like to see" went over your head. My apologies.
Nowhere did I suggest or infer or reference government participation. But the other answers to your retort are found in both the first and follow-up post.

1. The issue is price gouging. I find it, and all price gouging, based on tragedy to be unethical.

This is the indentification of a problem.

Now, you mentioned part of the solution, but more as a suggestion.
1. I will be going elsewhere, but I am confident it will not matter to them.
2. I also offered a suggestion, and that was for others to remember those who chose to capitalize and take advantage of this firearms and ammo frenzy. I am not okay with someone taking advantage of others.

Finally, I added personal commentary, like most do when they rant("While this is as much a rant...").
1. A reminder that fear can get us off track. We all contributed to the ammo and gun frenzy when we began buying large amounts, in a non-typical manner, and are responsible for much of what we are now seeing.
2. An expression of disgust directed toward those taking advantage of others.

I hope this created a bit more clarity.

I have no idea where this was a post that suggested America was only America when we were saving money. I again apologize.

p.s. I am learning to reload, and do have plenty of ammo in reserve, as I make it a practice to replace more than I use.

<�))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((�>

Romans 12:2
"Don't be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God's will is & what is good and pleasing and mature."(CEB)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The four basic laws of supply and demand are:

1. If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price.

2. If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price.

3.If demand remains unchanged and supply increases, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price.

4.If demand remains unchanged and supply decreases, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price.

They still teaching this chit in high school? I admit economics is nowhere near my strong subject, but supply and demand was like the easiest concept in Econ 101.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nobody is taking advantage of anyone in this situation. Plenty of places are selling ammo at normal prices. You just have to be there when they have it. No one is being forced to buy at higher than normal prices. Most of us are choosing to wait until supplies are more normal before we buy. We have a choice. If you don't like their prices, don't buy from them. If enough people feel the same way, they will lower their prices or go out of business. Pretty simple.

I have an old truck I plan to sell next year. If several people offer to pay more than it's worth, what do you think I'm going to do? Sell it for less than the going rate?

That's how things work here. If you don't want people selling things for the going rate, then lobby for subsidized pricing or government oversite.

There is a local shop here that I haven't set foot in for almost 4 years because of the prices they put on things in '08. It was certainly within their right to up prices when demand was up. I chose not to give them my business because of it. No hard feelings. Other stores have better prices and thats where I shop.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 35 invisible), 3,092 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,619
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.