Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I've got a couple .32 Savage mags I wanna put on Ebay, one for a model 1915 and the other a 1907 and I'm wondering what the new laws are concerning these.

Did the U.S. govt just reduce mag capacity (or are they going to) and does it apply to the Savage pistols?

I know I heard something on this new gun regulation crap you guys are about to go through on your side and about mag restrictions. Just don't want to ship these to a U.S. buyer and find out I've been redflagged for something I didn't even know that I did wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Oh ya, anyone ever take the grip panels out of a 1907? Is it real hard to do without breaking them?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not done yet!

The wino and I know the joy of the ocean like a boy knows the joy of his milkshake in motion...JB
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
But if they did put it through, what are they trying to reduce the mag limit to?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
ten rounds.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They passed it in NY state , 7 round limit

I guess lauren won't be able to own any of those murdering Savage pistols. Serves the bish right

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So they're good to go, except to New York.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
From what I read about NY there seems to be an exception for 'curio & relic" but there also did not seem to be a definition of exactly what they meant by that - hopefully the Savage pistols will fall under some exemption but I would not count on it.

(It also seems to say that those who already own 10 magazines can keep them as long as they never load more than 7 round in them, you just can never sell them in NY)

Gene
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just found a small stamping on my 1917 that reads "Odin Lorton VA". From what I gather from Google it might be a prison guards pistol from Virginia.

Might have to send an email to Bailey and see what he thinks.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe,Odin was a importer in Va, I have a Winchester rifle that says Odin Alex. Va. This is when they they were in Alexandria Va. Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe,
I would not mess with the grip panels on any gun worth more than a couple hundred bucks. Some folks have good luck with using a hair dryer to make them a little bit more pliable.

IC B3

mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don, cool, thanks, just did a search and they came up as an importer in Lorton as well, I guess they were an exporter as well huh?

John, thanks for the tip, my 1907 has a cracked grip on the left side and I have two extra sets of original grips so I was thinking of changing it, they seem pretty tight though. I don't even know where to start, do they pull to the rear and lift or just lift or what?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I was in NY this weekend, I picked up a copy of the Palladium Times. It's a daily newspaper from the city of Oswego, NY in the county of Oswego. This was a front page article. It's FAR from over in NY. I won't say what they have in mind is unenforcable but it borders on insane. At least there's ONE red county in NY.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
US firearms exported to other countries (as were the Savage pistols) and then imported back to the US fall under the same import requirements as any other foreign firearms, including requiring the importer's name be marked once the 1968 Gun Control Act took effect (before then it was voluntary and uncommon).

To remove the grip panels you need to flex them (fingers pressing from inside the magazine well) enough to lift the tabs at the rear of the grip panels from their depressions in the frame grips, and then slide the grip panels straight back. The problem is that (if original) these grips are made of hard rubber that usually has dried out and become brittle in the 100 or so years since they were made, and so not very flexible. Attempts to flex them often end up breaking them, which is why the usual advice is to leave the grip panels alone unless there is a very good reason to remove them.

Since the process for installing them is the same, in reverse, you get two chances to break the grip panels. Unless you really need to risk original grip panels, you might want to consider using one of the replica grip panels made of modern flexible material. (BTW, the only correct color for these is black, although the replica grip panels are available in a number of colors to fit your mood.) You should be able to buy a set of replica grip panels for less than the cost of one original grip panel in good condition.

Bill

Originally Posted by mad_dog
Don, cool, thanks, just did a search and they came up as an importer in Lorton as well, I guess they were an exporter as well huh?

John, thanks for the tip, my 1907 has a cracked grip on the left side and I have two extra sets of original grips so I was thinking of changing it, they seem pretty tight though. I don't even know where to start, do they pull to the rear and lift or just lift or what?

Last edited by Gun_Shy; 02/14/13.
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bill, maybe I'll warm one up with a hairdryer and give it a go, like you said, I've got two chances.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let us know how it goes with the grips.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe set the whole works in a pan of hot water to warm them, effecting a moist heat? Dunno, just thinking out loud.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
Let us know how it goes with the grips.

The hairdryer worked like a charm Rick, slid right out and the new one was actually easier putting in than taking out.

Gary, no, don't use water. Was just talking with Gene and he says that hot water will brown the grips.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pic for the guys that have never had their grips off before, so they'll know what it looks like and how it's held in.

[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Should have created a youtube video for us. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually did think about that but setting up an account and figuring out how to upload videos wasn't in the cards.

Maybe get the bride to show me how to run that digital video cam of hers when she gets home from work. Could make a bunch of them, not just grips.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 42 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.