Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WM300 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I live in NE Georgia and have been hunting whitetails for 30+ years. The vast majority of the bucks that I've taken over the years have had a tan to almost white colored antlers. This past season I took a large old buck with dark brown antlers-almost looked like they were coated with brown shoe polish. I've seen a few others that were similar in color in the past but not very often. What causes this? Diet? Genetics? Our area was supposedly re-stocked with deer from Texas and Wisconsin sometime in the late fifties or early sixties or so I was told. Curious to know.

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If I recall correctly the colour is largely dependent upon what tree/bush the buck rubs on. I have seen white antlered deer and dark brown antlered within a close distance

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The deer that Steelhead takes have almost red antlers. From rubbing on alders, I think.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Whelenman
The deer that Steelhead takes have almost red antlers. From rubbing on alders, I think.

More and more I am thinking Id like to shoot me one of those red antlered deer.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
W
WM300 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks GRF. Makes sense to me now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GRF is mostly right but there are some genetic differences and pre dispositions to darker/lighter antlers. Mostly it is what they scrape on though.

Around my part of the woods bucks that scrape on Hickory sapplings will have almost black antlers. Those that scrape on cedar will be dark tan those that scrape on youpon or holly will be very light colored. Elm sapplings will give you a medium brown with a yellow cast.

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sitka Blacktails in SE Alaska love rubbing on alders

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gives them the orange horns

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
GRF is mostly right but there are some genetic differences and pre dispositions to darker/lighter antlers. Mostly it is what they scrape on though.

Around my part of the woods bucks that scrape on Hickory sapplings will have almost black antlers. Those that scrape on cedar will be dark tan those that scrape on youpon or holly will be very light colored. Elm sapplings will give you a medium brown with a yellow cast.

Not to be a smartss but.....
Scrape = pawing at ground
Rub = rubbing antlers on tree

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well just pardon me all to hell. Put it this way, scrape the damn velvet off their damn antlers on some kind of damn tree.

grin grin

Quando Omni Moritati
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Scott, nice bucks and pics!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At a flea market in CA a few years ago a man had several sets of deer antlers that were a beautiful grey almost to a blue tone. I asked what he had put on them to get that color and he said they are natural to deer in one area somewhere down there, due to what they rub on. FWIW

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cedar and pine sap give most bucks in my area dark colored bases. the first year they planted soybeans in one of my huting areas antler got very white on top.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Scott, I really love this pic. Isn't that a Ruger? I saved one of a similar Ruger on the 4 wheeler that you posted once....

I miss the Sitka bucks but am content with the Columbian variation.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blacktail308; 02/17/13.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, same rifle as on the 4 wheeler. It's an 8x57

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The type of tree is a factor in color to be sure.

The weather is a huge factor as well. Mule deer & elk from the sunny east side of my state will have much lighter antlers than the blacktails and elk on the wet & gray, west side of the state.

The effect of ultraviolet light from the sun "lightens" the color of the antlers.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think it is mostly from what they rub on, all bone is white so that is how they start, then the trees that they rub turn the horns. These are all more or less from the same area. Some buck rub on hemlock which gives them a lighter color, some use fir and that gives them a dark color, like Scott said alder gives them a reddish orange color and cedar give them a darker red color.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Id love to kill one with the dark horns like ones in the bottom picture.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The one's on the bottom are the exact same color as the big bucks of south Texas. Almost the color of chocolate pudding. The real monsters w/this color of horns is very impressive and quite unique. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
while what they rub on will make a differnce, the scientific reason bucks have darker/ligher antlers is due to how early/fast they shed thier velvet. fast/earlier=light colored.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by acooper1983
while what they rub on will make a differnce, the scientific reason bucks have darker/ligher antlers is due to how early/fast they shed thier velvet. fast/earlier=light colored.

Source?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,462
Posts18,529,152
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.