Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by BMD
Originally Posted by JStor
I don't see the appeal when you can buy a 2500 Ram with a Cummins and pull 20 mpg. If they really want to attract buyers it should be a 4 banger inline diesel in a midsize truck like the Dakota or one of the Toyota trucks.

You can forget 20mpg in the new diesels not happening unless to you pull all range emissions crap off and void engine warranty. My 2012 gets 11mpg.
[Linked Image]

And only got 15 before the lift on hwy only.

Swap in manual hubs and your mileage will improve.

By how much?

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enough to noticed..Your turning a bunch of part that don't need to be turned.Better mileage and less wear and tear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the average driver who might drive 12-15,000 miles a year, and with diesel fuel being 65 cents a gallon more than gasoline, I have to question the economy of buying a rig like this. If you are pulling a trailer , the 2500 or 3500 with the Cummins is the way to go.

[Linked Image]
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enough to noticed..Your turning a bunch of part that don't need to be turned.Better mileage and less wear and tear.

Will check into it. Thanks

Scott

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I`m driving an `05 3500 Cummins. I put in a chip, and get around 20 mpg. I also have a `85 Isuzu Pup with a four cylinder diesel. I get over 40 mpg. It`s 2wd, but gets me and the hounds to the woods. I think this truck will still be kickin when I`m gone.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bunnyrunner
I also have a `85 Isuzu Pup with a four cylinder diesel.

I'd sho like to get my hands on one of those....Volkswagen used to have a small diesel truck back around that time too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll stick with gas. My bro just got rid of his 01 cummins that he had chipped and all kinds of stuff with more power than anyone would ever need. He raced a supercharged mustang with it and absolutely killed the mustang. And he was getting 23-25 mpg. He replaced it with a '10 cummins with 6 spd and is kickin himself got selling his old one now that he is getting 13mpg on the highway...

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMD

BMD:
Hopefully this finds you and yours well on this still Saturday morning.

If you aren't a member of the Dodge Cummins forum or even the Dodge truck forum, then you might start there in your research.

Link to one manual hub conversion thread.
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...drive-line-to-manual-locking-hubs-2.html

Link to another one on the Cummins forum.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/439404-manual-hub-conversion-dana-60-a.html

When we picked up our '03 - I guess it's 5 years ago now (time does fly eek ) - I looked into getting one of the Dynatrac kits.

They wanted about $2000 US for the kit and rough and dirty it looked like close to $1000 to have a mechanic install it.

When I crunched the numbers there was no way I could make any fuel savings shy of at least 5 mp/Imperial gallon pay for the kit. That of course is taking into account the number of miles I projected to put on the truck.

Anyway hopefully that information was at least somewhat useful to you sir. Good luck whichever way you decided and all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was looking a new pickup in 1998 I looked at the F150 and the then-new Powerstrokes with the 7.3 turbo diesel. Figuring 4 mpg difference, and the costs of fuels at the time, it would take about 150,000 miles to pay for the extra cost of the diesel. Eventually it would have been a much better payback, after gas prices rose.

Dodge is supposedly claiming up to 30 mpg in their diesel, which I assume is for a 2wd, running at 55. Figure less for a 4wd, running 75 smile

Now, with all the urea and expensive diesel, I'm not sure you could pay for the engine with fuel savings alone. You definitely can't pay for the truck with fuel savings alone!

I have a 2.0 Ecoboost in my company car, an Escape. It gets a little worse than predicted on the highway, about 24.5 mpg, but not bad for the size of the vehicle. Around 20 in town. Good power, too. When my 04 F150 hits 200k, I might think about another pickup, but I'm thinking the 3.5L Ecoboost will be my choice, assuming they have a good reputation by then for reliability.

Many years ago Winnebago built some small motorhomes with small Renault turbo diesels, and the things were a disaster, seldom lasting more than 20k before blowing up or needing opverhauls. I'm real curious to see how small turbo diesel engines fare, as far as durability, even given synthetic oils and the like.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I'll bet if Dodge would have offered that engine option in the Dakota it would still be in the lineup and a major player. Magnum Man

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMD

Try to find a junked Ford with a Dana 60.Take most of it except the plastic hub.Repack with new warn hubs.It's fairly simple swap.Most important part is a good wheel alignement

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
BMD,
Big mud tires kill your mileage, I don't know about the lift kit. My 2005 got 15mpg when it was brand new but the mpg steadily improved until I was getting 19.5mpg highway and 17-18mpg in town by the time it had 40K on it. My 2005 is stock except for a Smarty programmer set on level 1 and I have Amsoil in everything. When I changed to 35" tires (not mud tires) at 76K my mileage stayed the same even though the rpms at 70mph dropped from 2350 to 2100. I have a set of Dynatrac locking hubs but I won't install them until the original hubs wear out. If you do a little research I think you'll find that there's some things you can do to improve your mpg. How you drive has a LOT to do with your mpg.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what kills the MPG on American pick-ups so quick??? A friend of mine as a Toyota Hilux with a 3 liter diesel and automatic box..With three of us in it and loaded with kit for a weeks hunting, it still averaged 36 mpg on a run up to Scotland..granted, thats imperial gallons, but it still gives you an idea of what should be possible in a Tacoma sized pick-up..

Last edited by Pete E; 02/16/13.
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah the 37" X 13.5 tires don't help for sure.

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just read a bunch about the new truck and motor, and a smaller lighter turbodiesel is a LONG overdue development and offering here. On one of my safari's I tooled around in a built from the ground up custom hunting car that was a Landrover Defender with a small 4 cylinder turbodiesel. I was VERY impressed with the low end power and torque, and the fuel milage was just amazing.

I hope this is the first of many.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seen a VW pickup at Costco the other day. It was up from Sonora. I seen the owner and was asking him about it. Little Diesel engine with 30+ MPG, said it does all he needs it too and more. Then he said in a joking but serious way, "I bet you guys wish you could get these here in America". I laughed and agreed. Nice truck with nice MPG. Since I don't pull more than a boat, I bet that little truck and engine would rock.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Pete,
"Not sure what kills the MPG on American pick-ups so quick???"

Government regulations kill the mileage on our trucks plus the government mandate to add biodiesel amd ehtanol to our fuel. The regulations actually increase emmisions because they make the engines less efficient.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by victoro
BMD,
Big mud tires kill your mileage, I don't know about the lift kit.

The lift kit doesn't help either; more air underneath the vehicle = higher wind resistance = lower fuel mileage. Tires have the more dramatic effect however.

I went from the stock 265's to 285's on my Excursion, no lift, and lost 2 mpg.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The DPF, mainly the ones that don't use urea to regenerate take a bite out of the fuel economy. The most efficient combustions cycles generate oxides of nitrogen, so the compression ratio/boost run at supotimal levels in order to meet emissions standards.

Technology may negate the ill effects of the DPF, but the NOx regs are going to be a tougher problem.

The US market hasn't had a midsized or compact diesel pickup since the late 80's early 90's. The ram 50, S10, luv and isuzu mostly got in the 30's with 80's injection technology. In addition to the emmissions regulations, the US market seems to have had a horsepower war between the manufacturers. It seems as though it's unacceptable to need to downshift going uphill whilst pulling your 35 foot fifth wheel.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.