Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Vanguard_Shooter
I ran out and bought one - disappointed as noted in an earlier post. I just had it out shooting in -19c and had condensation upon return indoors of course.

I want to do a thorough clean but CAN'T. The damn action is glued to the stock. What a joke. What a POS.

Hmmmm, so it's the rifle's fault that it got condensation when going from room temperature to -19C? Are some of the other magical rifles that you own somehow immune to this phenomenon? Or, did you put your punctuation in the wrong place, and you are lamenting that the stock is glued to the action, and this has nothing to do with the condensation? Kinda confused...

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Winchesters for me

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Hey, you still have your jap vanguard to fall back on. I for one love my FN Model 70. You must have really gotten a lemon. I guess I was lucky and got a really good one!
Too funny!

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
demand now that's funny around here they never sell anymore. Way more rem 700's and tikka's are selling.

1 and done
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

What upsets me just as much as a US/Port. Model 70 are the US Shooters that will line up to buy one.
Same guys that ran out to buy a Chevy right after they went Bankrupt, Opened a checking account with Bank of America and switched their Insurance to AIG.
For the most part, American shooters don't care and FN knows it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Perhaps Winchester would be willing to sell the parts to individuals and that person could assemble them. That would save Winchester time, trouble, and money.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I figure my shot show 7x57 will be assembled in Portugal or wherever. I'm not worried about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one I bought ten years ago was a total piece of crap.
After truing the action, replacing the barrel and stock it shoots pretty good.
Only thing original is the bolt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I ran out and bought one - disappointed as noted in an earlier post. I just had it out shooting in -19c and had condensation upon return indoors of course.

I want to do a thorough clean but CAN'T. The damn action is glued to the stock. What a joke. What a POS.

The only joke I see are your "tests"...laffin'!

You know, a quick google search reveals that they use a compound which is pretty close to GLUE to bed the wood stocks.

It took so much force to remove the stock from the action that there is now a gouge in the stock from when it 'let go'. And now that it's put back together - it seems just as tight.

The feed lips are SO sharp and rough that they destroy any brass that goes across them making them impossible to reload.

I'm not sure how that's laughable...

I really don't think it's a lemon because, again, a quick google search reveals other people with the same problems...

Oh yeah, firing pin hole is badly oversized which craters all primers.

Re: the person who spoke of my 'Jap' Vanguards.

I have 6 Vanguards and Vanguard S2s and they have all been flawless. The 'Japs' know a thing or two about quality control. From my experiences with Remington, Marlin, Savage, and now "Winchester" I would say Americans don't know the first thing about Quality control.

Are you the the same lame brain from THF that tried to convince everyone than shooting 160gr. bullets out of a 7mm-08 at 2800 (Vanguard) was perfectly safe? Then provided some jicky link where you could just add powder indefinitely until a certain velocity was reached? IIRC you also stated that you only had a few primers fall out of the brass and it wasn't a big deal?

I think so. Go back to THF and try to your crapola there again. You know nothing of what you speak. Idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forgot to mention you might want to post a pic of your .22 Hornet with the Hubble telescope attached. That was a rig to behold.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure that is the idiot!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What's THF?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Texas hunting forum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I sure hope Winchester doesn't stop making their 25" tubed, 9 pound 30/06 Alaskan rifle. Can't think of a better rifle for tromping around Alaska than an over 10 pound, all up, 30/06...

A resurrected pre-64 "featherweight"..

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Codave101
[Linked Image][Linked Image]This BACO did vary well right out of the box.

Pretty rifle! I have been a sucker for a M70 for years. Oe of my favorites was an XTR 270 I bought with the proceedes from a part time job back in '80 I believe it was. Just curious,did you shoot that group with the iron sights? Not trying to be a smart azz,just curious. I knew a fella years ago that could do stuff like that. Use to piss me off. Hell of an offhand shot too he was. I know all the rage these days is McMillan stocked,pencil barreled,ceracoated rigs. Mine too. But there is a certain nostalgic appeal to a rifle in a nice wood stock with open sights intact. Congrats on a nice looking rifle.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I sure hope Winchester doesn't stop making their 25" tubed, 9 pound 30/06 Alaskan rifle. Can't think of a better rifle for tromping around Alaska than an over 10 pound, all up, 30/06...

A resurrected pre-64 "featherweight"..

If a pre 64 M70 FW in factory attire is "too heavy" ,a guy better take up running Tupperware parties, or fashion design...he likely drinks his tea from demitasse cups with pinky extended.... wink grin

Poor frail little thing! shocked smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you Bob. Every time I go to the grocery/hardware etc store I first hook my utility trailer with a 1000 pounds in it to my truck.

It has no problems pulling it, so why shouldn't I tow an extra 1000 pounds for trips to the store.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I am in the same camp GB...I consider the SC guns to be as nice or nicer than anything winchester has ever put out...Redneck will be along shortly to chastise me... eek

I myself am a fan of the Classic Featherweights... And I do not begrudge FN or anyone else their opportunity to build rifles to their own spec anywhere they desire...

I do think it unfortunate that the designation of "Model 70" covers so many different types of rifles. Pre 64, post 64, classic, FN...
4 distinct designs deserve 4 distinct model numbers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess that there is some marketing horsepower in the designation of "Model 70"...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott,the sarcasm is palpable..... wink grin

I think I have seen a goodly portion of your rifle collection and haven't seen anything I can recall that is significantly lighter;although I suspect you have them....not that lighter is a "bad" thing,but once items get to 7.5-8 pounds, I stop wailing myself. cry

I have had pre 64 FW's on my last two western hunts....climbed and killed with them both times even at my advanced age cool....a 5 pound Kimber was not gonna make a difference;the reason I sold the one's I had.

There might be a ti,or Kimber in the future; both are nice but no need so far...

Besides my lightest pre 64, dressed in a Brown Pound'r goes a hair under 7 with scope wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.