-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just purchased a 2011 Ram 1500 and I think I want to level out the front end with the back. As of now it sits lower and I don't
like it. Was wondering if you all have any insight as to how I can do this, or if you've used any kits in the past.

Thanks for your help.

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to this site and you will learn all you need to know about your truck.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-20/

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A pickup is designed to carry a load. That will level it. When I go hunting, I have 1500 lb of llamas in the truck and a camp trailer behind it. It levels out nicely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You can buy leveling kits. However, as Rock Chuck said, trucks are designed a bit nose down so they level themselves out when carrying a load. I personally hate the look of leveled trucks, they look like a dog running with their tail between their legs and I immediately know the guy driving the truck is a city boy who never uses it as a truck. A guy who actually uses it as a truck would never put a leveling kit on one because then it'd squat in the rear too much when you haul something.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Go to this site and you will learn all you need to know about your truck.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-20/

Thanks I'll take a look around.

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you buy a pu you have to decide if it is to be used or to look cool. This is a classic question. Listen to Rockchuck and leave the suspension alone. Otherwise everytime you use the truck to haul anything it will be down in the rear.

Same thinig with lift kits. The running gear will be in the same place, but now the geometry of the supsension changes, the truck is top-heavy and everyone will know that you are young and not getting laid enough.

Last edited by ppine; 12/28/12.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am anti leveling myself. They look fine leveled, but you put any load on them and they go nose up and look like crap. A lift is a better solution if needed, but most do not need the added ground clearance. I would go for the biggest tires you can stuff under the stock setup, as tires are the only thing that truly buys you ground clearance.

Last edited by K1500; 12/28/12.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Also, if you level it and then actually put a load in it you will blind the hell out of oncoming traffic at night regardless of hi/lo beam setting.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ppine
When you buy a pu you have to decide if it is to be used or to look cool. This is a classic question. Listen to Rockchuck and leave the suspension alone. Otherwise everytime you use the truck to haul anything it will be down in the rear.

Same thinig with lift kits. The running gear will be in the same place, but now the geometry of the supsension changes, the truck is top-heavy and everyone will know that you are young and not getting laid enough.

There are practical reasons for both, but undoubtedly they escape you.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Safety. A leveling kit will sag in the rear under load. That will lift the steering gear, throwing the engineered design out of kilter, and possibly create a serious hazard, especially on slick roads.

― George Orwell

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Absolutely, I'm not a leveling kit kind of guy. I use my trucks.

But I do know some guys who used it to get their front bumper a bit off the ground to help with approach angles on hills. (so they said at least) but mainly I think guys do it for cosmetic reasons.

MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've been seeing the exact opposite on the road. Usually a Chevy, but the rear of the truck is way lower than the front. Usually a young kid driving it. Is this a new thing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "Cali Rake". Level looks fine to me, until you put any load in the truck. Nose up looks downright stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Absolutely, I'm not a leveling kit kind of guy. I use my trucks.

But I do know some guys who used it to get their front bumper a bit off the ground to help with approach angles on hills. (so they said at least) but mainly I think guys do it for cosmetic reasons.
I did a two in kit torsion keys in the front and blocks on the rear to clear a decent sized tires , 255/85r16 I hate how high my truck is but a equally hate how low my frame sits

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want to buy a truck with better clearance, get a manual tranny. It will be tucked up higher between the frame members than an auto. The trouble is, not too many manuals are being made now days.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey nannygoat,
Back up

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The higher in the front look is from the Desert Racers trucks and Pre-runners they chase with, its for added suspension travel up front where the weight of the engine is and to dampen the impact when landing, they pitch forward in flight.

I leveled my Dodge 2500 becasue I like the way it looks. Blinding oncoming drivers, loss of control at speed and getting lucky haven't really been issues for me.

There should be plenty of kits available from the many aftermarket companies that offer lift kits, levelling blocks (easy on a coil sprung front end) and other accessories to personalize our trucks. Try an off road magazine for suppliers or one of the suggested sites..

Didn't think you were asking for personal opinions on your decision to modify your truck!

And, as always, Thanks for your service to our fine country!

Semper Fi!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,897
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.