Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My '99 Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 has a limited slip that seems to be behaving differently than it has in the past. Occasionally it is now slipping a tire like an open differential. Any chance it is just the extra slippery conditions lately, and not a malfunction?

My knowledge of limited slip is limited to the old 8-3/4" Dodge axles. There was a cone type and a clutch type. The clutch type was rebuildable, but the cone type wasn't. Does my truck likely have a certain kind, or could it be just about anything?

If I do have to replace it, will the axle assy take a Detroit locker? Is there any reason I wouldn't want one if it can?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most likely the springs or their retainers that put pressure on the clutch pack are broken or weak, or the clutches are worn. Not sure what is available to replace it as far as lockers, etc. May try specialty 4x4 websites. I can tell you, if the ring and pinion need replacement, stay away from after market gears. The OE's are cut in a wierd pattern and most aftermarkets whine.
Hope this is some help.

Sean
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You might just need to add the limited slip fluid/additive for the Dodge rear end. It loses effectiveness after time and needs to be replenished for the limited slip to regain its functionality.
It's the quickest and easiest place to start looking for a solution to your problem.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had heard that, but didn't know if there was any truth to it. You know, maybe another magical mystery fluid story.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friction modifier actually helps the clutches slip, not hold. Will usually get chatter from clutches sticking or binding then letting go when it is broke down or not there.

Sean
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't diagnosis your problem but my guess is it's worn out. You can put a locker on it but might not enjoy driving it on the street as much after it's installed.

IMO, a good option would be a Detroit locker TruTrac. It like what you have but is all gears with no springs, clutches, cones or friction plates. It doean't require any special fluid so the "know it all" jiffy lube tech guy can't ruin it and unlike a true locker you won't even know it's there until you need it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Friction modifier actually helps the clutches slip, not hold. Will usually get chatter from clutches sticking or binding then letting go when it is broke down or not there.

Second that^^

The packs wear out after about 50K miles. If you are handy you can rebuild it yourself....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.