Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I know...I know, dead horse. Maybe I can ask this in a way that isn't so repetitive to previous discussions.

I picked up a .45 Colt Bisley last year. I haven't shot it much cuz I was waiting on components, a mould, and manufacturers to make repairs.

Finally got everything together and shot some moderate 300gr loads today.

OUCH!

I read so much about how well the Bisley handles recoil. I guess everyone that writes that has smaller hands than I. My knuckle got hammered by the trigger guard. Does the plow hand style grip offer a little more distance between the guard and middle finger knuckle?

Any body with large hands (not fat hands, just big--I'm 6'4" with XL hands and long fingers) been through this that can offer some advice?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have large/average hands and I am not a bisley grip fan. I think the plain blackhawk grip feels a lot better.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I know...I know, dead horse. Maybe I can ask this in a way that isn't so repetitive to previous discussions.

I picked up a .45 Colt Bisley last year. I haven't shot it much cuz I was waiting on components, a mould, and manufacturers to make repairs.

Finally got everything together and shot some moderate 300gr loads today.

OUCH!

I read so much about how well the Bisley handles recoil. I guess everyone that writes that has smaller hands than I. My knuckle got hammered by the trigger guard. Does the plow hand style grip offer a little more distance between the guard and middle finger knuckle?

Any body with large hands (not fat hands, just big--I'm 6'4" with XL hands and long fingers) been through this that can offer some advice?

Unfortunately if you are ham handed like I am, grip frames aside, the trigger guard will pound your knuckles. It's a recoil thing not the frame. Once I get beyond 357 I get pounded. It's like a nun is rapping my middle finger with the edge of a ruler.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Plow Handle digs into my palm, the Bisley raps my knuckles.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe the square guard Dragoon frame of the Super Blackhawk was expressly intended to get that trigger guard away from your middle finger. My knuckle has been whacked by the plow handle of a .45 Colt Blackhawk but it's never been whacked by a SBH even with the heaviest loads.

The SBH is not available in a .45 Colt from Ruger although the Dragoon frame by iself is. I've never swapped parts on a Bisley so I don't know if you would have to switch out the hammer and possibly the trigger as well.

Unfortunately that doesn't leave you with many quick and easy options if you choose to stay with a .45 Colt although you could just swap the Bisley toward a .44 Magnum SBH or sell the Bisley and buy one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For the boomers (very heavy 44 Mag's and above) I prefer the Bisley grip frame. No matter the gun, I do not allow it to move in my hand. The wrist or, with the Linebaugh's, elbow roll to absorb the recoil. I make sure that the grips on my Bisley's are lean and fit my hand so I can grab them and not allow movement. Many go to fatter grips to "spread the area" but cannot hold firm and receive the legendary "roll of the SAA". Not what one wants in the boomers. Proper for me grips on a Bisley 44 Mag of mine. My two bits anyway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am a Bisley fan myself. I have large mitts, and I like that I can get all my fingers on the frame.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been shooting single actions for 50 years.

The standard "plow handle" works best for me.

I have medium/large hands.

And "yes" the grip frames on Blakhawks can be interchanged.

Had a super Blackhawk with the square back trigger guard. Couldn't shoot it two handed with out getting my knuckle "bit"

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The solution is obvious.

Instead of trading handles on your revolver, you need to trade hands with another shooter!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I love the Ruger Bisleys especially on the hard kickers...but even on my .22 I'm a fan...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds like it.

I may see if I can pick up a plow handle frame to try out. I really wanted the single action for the .45 Colt cartridge. I already have a .44 Mag in a Redhawk and truly love that platform. If I could have found a Redhawk in .45 Colt, I wouldn't be asking this question.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
I love the Ruger Bisleys especially on the hard kickers...but even on my .22 I'm a fan...

[Linked Image]

I like it. I'd give you extra points if it is a WMR.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are many right answers in the outdoors. I have big hands and really like Bisleys. I have an original Colt from 1906 in .45 LC. I like to just look at it.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bisley, Bisley, Bisley, Bisley the masses chanted

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have big hands also, on my Colt SAA my pinky finger can't fit on the grip, on my old style Ruger Bisley they all fit and gun shoots great.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No matter how hard I have tried, I cannot shoot well with any of the single action revolvers. 329PD with finger groove style grips did OK for me, but with my XXL hands a 1911 grip is really the only good option. Thus, my Delta Elite with heavy bulleted handloads for my only 'big' handgun. If I cannot do it with that handgun, I need a rifle. As well, I just cannot get used to the look of the Bisley styled guns. Interesting to read others realities with various handguns.

Worst knuckle buster I have fired, and I still have it because it is SO handy and useful, is our P3AT with Buffalo Bore +P+ 100gr loads. Major league ouch factor with that mouse gun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have small hands and couldn't shoot my Bisley 44 Special for beans. Sold it to a guy with mitts and got a plow handle model. ALL my Ruger SA guns are plow handle, and I prefer the original small grips of the flattops the best of all.

I don't load grizzly stomper loads, although I have shot custom Blackhawks in .45-70, 444 Marlin, 375 Winchester, 475 and 500 Linebaugh. All those guns had plowhandle grips and I quickly learned that the only safe way to shoot them was with a gentle grip, one-handed. A strangle grip and tense forearm was guaranteed to snap bones - and a two-hand grip would plant the hammer spur in your forehead.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I never cared for how the plow handles felt or recoiled in my hand. Once I shot the Bisley - I was hooked!! I also much prefer the lo-pro hammer on the Bisley Blackhawk.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've never had a problem with the "Plow Handle" grip and like the original Colt the best. I don't care for the "feel" of the Bisley, but I really don't like the looks of the Bisley and that may be influencing my overall dislike.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bisley-smisly, they beat my knuckle and also are sensitive to hold. The SBH square guard is horrible so I put Pachmeyer grips on them. BFR standard rubber Uncle Mike grips are the best for the heaviest recoil. Keep your smooth, shiny, pretty grips for head and finger bashers.
The plow handle with proper grips are best and the most accurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.