Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm in the market for some new backpack/hunting boots, I am looking at the Schnees Beartooth and the Kennetrek Mountain extreme. Anyone have any reviews of them they would like to share.

Primary use would be backpacking/trekking while also pulling double duty as a hunting boot.

At 6'0 and 235 I am not the easiest on boots, great ankle support along with superior foot bed comfort is a must.

Have also looked at Meindls (cabelas) good reviews but some say they are a knockoff.

Also the Asolo 520 gv and the Crispi series have hit the radar as well.

Nowhere close to here to try an assortment on so mail order is the only option.

Thanks, John

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Powerguy

At 6'0 and 235 I am not the easiest on boots, great ankle support along with superior foot bed comfort is a must.

Have also looked at Meindls (cabelas) good reviews but some say they are a knockoff.

Not a knockoff, but a special run made just for Cabela's using a different type of leather that is supposedly softer.
It's still a Meindl's boot.

They are a great boot, but quite stiff. They give excellent ankle support, but I don't think I would categorize them as a real comfortable boot. I've slipped my Alaskan Hunters off at camp and put on my Danner Super Rainforests, it felt like I was putting on a pair of fleece lined moccasins compared to the Meindl's.

If you don't really need that type of stiffness I would not recommend them.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ive had the Lowa Sheep Hunters, and Scarpa Liskaams. Scarpas def outlasted and outperformed the Lowas. Couple buddies have the Mendls and they love them. All of the above are made for mountain use. If you're going up or down with a load on your back, the stiffer the better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you have to do the mail order thing, it won't be easy to compare between boots.

I have Meindls and really like them. They fit my foot(wide forefoot-high arch) perfectly and have worn well for going on 6 years now. A buddy, however, had the same boot that came apart on him while we were on a caribou hunt in 07. Cabelas took them back, no questions asked.

I also have some Lowa boots-including Sheephunters, that are really well made. A single pair of Lowa duty boots has lasted 4 years of everyday wear.

I've also tried on Kennetreks and really like them for mountain boots.

My opinion, if any of those choices fit your feet, you can't go wrong. But you will need to choose the fit carefully.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 02/16/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fit is king.

I had Lowa Baffin Pros that fit well and were comfortable, but weren't that supportive for their weight and also had a seam in the wrong place (on the side of the Achilles) that rubbed open under normal use. I got a warranty replacement for them after 11 months and promptly sold off the replacements.

I have a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Guides that I love the combination of weight and performance on (not that supportive, but at a relatively low weight with good traction and just enough support for real use plus a fairly cushy feel). However, construction hasn't been that good. I've only had them since September. There is a rubber on rubber seam on the toe that opened up because it isn't a tight fit and lets water directly into the midsole. No, I didn't use anything but wax on them. I fixed it once with shoe goo and that lasted a month before re-opening then I tried contact cement and that lasted 2 days. There is also a piece of cordura on the tongue that has ripped out. It has leather underneath so I consider it non-essential. They're going back to Kennetrek this week. Hopefully the next ones are better because I do like them.

I keep trying to find something better, but for longevity and performance it is hard to beat Asolo boots. I used a pair of TPS boots for nearly a decade before they wore out. I have a pair of fairly heavy (more mountaineering weight) TPS boots that I go back to whenever the Kennetreks are down. At this point I kind of regret getting the Kennes instead of a pair of Asolo 535V boots -- they cost $100 less and are probably a higher quality boot. I'd miss the sole from the Kennes though.

You'll notice a recurring thread of all leather boots without goretex in them. I'd forgotten how much drier my feet stay across all conditions - dry, rain, wet snow - in all leather boots with sno-seal on them than in goretex lined boots.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just sent back a pair of Asolo boots I had ordered. First boot I ever ran into with the problem. The tongue didn't come up high enough to practically use the top lace. If you laced it and tied the knot at the top it would slip over the tongue and rub on the boot/shin. Otherwise the boot fit just fine. First Asolo boot I have tried. Odd.

Otto is my co-pilot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Be sure to look at Lathrop and Sons. They carry Hanwags and will use tracings of your own feet to cut their Synergy footbeds to lock your feet into the boots.

I beat my feet with the Asolos I was wearing to the point where I'd be in pain at the 3 mlle mark when carrying any weight. The Trapper Tops from L&S fixed all that. I've actually got the older version of the footbed, not the new Synergy, which are supposed to be a nice improvement.

Last edited by ken999; 02/17/13.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks guys, keep them coming.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here you can read about the Cabelas Meindl vs Meindl debate.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...bela_s_Meindls_vs_internatio#Post5696174

I just bought some Hanwags, and paid dearly for them. I sure hope they work, and they are re-sole-able, which is great. There won't be a chance for me to test them until -30 leaves.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you are looking for support in the mountains, you'll definitely give up some comfort as an all-rounder. Best all around boot I've found is the Meindl Perfekt, and I've used them from sheep to moose and pretty much everywhere in between. If you need more support, the alaskan or denali is probably the way to go.

I've run scarpa liskamms, never could get them to work with my feet. Appear to be an excellent boot, extremely stiff/supportive.

I tried the asolo sasslongs. Someone here linked to them on sale on STP. Not a bad boot IMO. Pretty stiff foot bed and weird (to me) low top, but they might work for you.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Meindl Denali's. Good support, climb like 4 wheel drive. Stiff footbed, which a lot of people don't like, but I think it makes for less fatigue at the end of the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ken999
Be sure to look at Lathrop and Sons. They carry Hanwags and will use tracings of your own feet to cut their Synergy footbeds to lock your feet into the boots.

I beat my feet with the Asolos I was wearing to the point where I'd be in pain at the 3 mlle mark when carrying any weight. The Trapper Tops from L&S fixed all that. I've actually got the older version of the footbed, not the new Synergy, which are supposed to be a nice improvement.

What he said - in spades! I ordered a pair of La Sportiva's a number of years ago and thought they were fine. Wore them on 2 sheep hunts and on the second trip, I got blisters on both heels. We had to call the plane in early to pick us up because of that. Lottsa money shot for my stupidity. A trip to the foot doc confirmed it - they were at least 1 size too small. I ended up losing the toenail on both large toes as well. Enter Lathrop & Sons & their Han-Wags. I posted my comments here on the board as to what boots everybody liked. Some "wag" comes back with the comment "Bear, we gotta get you a pair of Han-Wag's." don't remember who it was tho. Anyway, I ordered a pair of them and although kind of expensive and a bit of a wait, they fit just fine. There was no problem with fit right out of the box. I haven't taken them on another sheep hunt but they have been up on the slope 2 years running on caribou trips. Up there, it's at least 5 miles off the road if you use a rifle so these puppys have received a workout. It's gonna be a sheep hunt this year too. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Han-Wags. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved the older Scarpa Rio boots. Can't find 'em anymore and the newer Scarpas fit different for what ever reason.

I went through several other makers and ended up with AKU boots that fit awesome. We'll see if they hold up.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Limmers. I bought a pair of Lightweights almost 6 years ago. Before Limmers, I'd wear out a pair of boots (Danners) every year. I have over 2,000 miles on the boots. I'll get them resoled by Limmer when its needed.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks again for all the input fellas

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trialed a pair of Danner Crater Rims over the last year and have been delighted with their performance. Good ankle support. Fit and comfort have been everything I could ask for. Wear seems ok, but only time will tell.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This vid I made might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfApS_NRQjg

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My old Cabela's Meindl Ibex boots blew seams out in the ankles of both boots.

Took them back to Cabela's and even though I didn't have a receipt, I got 80 dollars for them, so put that towards a new pair of Denali's.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks DFE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone else worn the Alico Summit boots sold by Sierra Trading Post? They are an Italian-made all-leather boot (incl. leather lining) with a Norwegian welt Vibram sole.

I don't have enough miles on mine to say with certainty that they are a great boot, but judging by the use they have seen so far, they have potential to be a really good boot.

Surprisingly, Pennsylvania is known for its PITA rocky trails. Whatever happened thousands of years ago, geologically speaking, left a boatload of rocks from softball-size to Volkswagen Beetle-size strewn about PA's landscape. Therefore, I was looking for a boot that would provide sturdy ankle support without breaking the bank.

I bought the boots using one of STP's more generous promotional offers, and so they were well under $200. I think they are worth a look. Here is a link:

Alico Summit - STP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12savage, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,895
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.