Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
if infowars says it...it probably not the case.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Govt./DHS is not buying .22LR ammo, but there is none on the shelves.

I have heard before this that the Govt./Military has some large orders out for ammo and that it is a factor in the shortage. You can blame Peoples fear of what the Govt. might do after 'Newtown', but really let's take a look at the shooting public... this is what? the third or fourth time something like this has occurred in the last twenty years... How many wake up's do we need? Oh and yes though pretty well stocked there are some serious holes in my inventory too. Dumb!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If the government is ignoring the 45 Colt then I'm fine with that......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

NO! WE ARE! (Not me ... though.)

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
The Govt./DHS is not buying .22LR ammo, but there is none on the shelves.

I have heard before this that the Govt./Military has some large orders out for ammo and that it is a factor in the shortage. You can blame Peoples fear of what the Govt. might do after 'Newtown', but really let's take a look at the shooting public... this is what? the third or fourth time something like this has occurred in the last twenty years... How many wake up's do we need? Oh and yes though pretty well stocked there are some serious holes in my inventory too. Dumb!

Jerry

Jerry I suppose for the most part you are right lack of planning and foresight is a problem. However I buy shotgun shells a pallet at a time. Its easier and cheaper for me this way, verses ordering a lifetime of shells and having to find a place to store them. Not to mention I really don't want to have to pony up that much coin all in one shot. Luckly rifle and pistol ammo takes up a lot less space.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by P_Weed

NO! WE ARE! (Not me ... though.)

Correct. We are, with stupid panic buying again. But I do love a good conspiracy theory....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Well, partially.
By law the government gets to the head of the line when ordering ammunition.
Our range owner has $1mill in ammo ordered. And can get zip.

He tells me that when called the suppliers say they are filling Government orders first.

The only box of .22's on the shelf yesterday?
A box of CCI target for $20! and only one!
Only Berry's bullets? One box of heavy .38's and 6-8 boxes of 50 caliber.
Some Lil gun, Hornady Performence powder. Zero primers.

Three black guns, two on consignment for $3000 and $6000!
One or five left from Friday... some off brand going for $1400.

No Glocks, Sigs, or S& W semi autos.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course, no brainer.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Insomuch as they are a major player in the supply and demand equation - yes. Anything else is pure BS.

I think it's safe to say the average citizen has completely lost the ability to critically think through anything.

The only thing the current Jones' followers need is a big barrel of funny tasting Kool-Aid ..... like the last batch of Jones' followers.

Last edited by 41magfan; 02/18/13.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HawkI
If the government is ignoring the 45 Colt then I'm fine with that......
I was in the local Walmart Friday night and they had at least one box of Winchester's. Twenty rounds for like, $24. The local gunstore has them, but they are pretty expensive too.

I went to Bass Pro in Tulsa yesterday and they had almost nothing. They did have three boxes of Remington 41 Mag. 50 rounds per box at $65 each. I decided I had enough ammo and components.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It would be nice to see some data showing the production capacity of ammo in the US. And some data showing how much is purchased by the Gov versus civilian markets. My gut feel is that the Civilian market is 10x more than the Government purchases - even in war.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
"However I buy shotgun shells a pallet at a time."

Whoaaa! Montana Creek Hunter You undoubtedly shoot more shotgun shells in a month than I probably have in my Whole life.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Is the Government the cause of ammo shortages?"

"Only stupid people who don't use common sense".Was talking to a Cabelas assoc last week while trying to find '06 brass he was just shaking his head and said people have created the shortages out of their own stupidity and will have deal with them later.He said it's put many manufacturers behind over six months and they sold over 100 bricks of 22LR in 45 minutes.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Is the Government the cause of ammo shortages?

I was in a local sporting goods store yesterday, They had a few cans of Pyrodex on the shelf and one can of Win 296. (I took it). The component bullet shelves were nearly empty, and I saw zero primers. The clerk mentioned that restock was nearly unavailable.

I commented that Obama is the greatest gun and ammo salesman I have ever seen.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most retailers operate on what is known as Just In Time (JIT) shipping, Wal-Mart is the king of it but undoubtedly Bass Pro and any other major player uses the same philosophy which is basically this:

1. Inventory costs us money.
2. The stores get trucks from the distribution centers every 1 to 3 days.
3. If we project sales closely, we should be able to hold inventory to a minimum, say 3 or 4 days, this saves us money.
4. The distribution centers work off a similar principle, project sales and keep a minimum inventory.

This works great unless there is a glitch in the system, like a blizzard blocks the roads to and from the distribution center for a week or all the shooters in the country decide they need 5 years worth of ammunition right now. The pipeline gets empty instantly and takes a while to refill.

Some years ago I managed the warehouse for a major soft drink company, it was fun to bring new employees into it and watch their faces as they saw the tens of thousands of cases of soda we had there and then tell them that it was only 4 or 5 days supply.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 02/18/13.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Is the Government the cause of ammo shortages?

I was in a local sporting goods store yesterday, They had a few cans of Pyrodex on the shelf and one can of Win 296. (I took it). The component bullet shelves were nearly empty, and I saw zero primers. The clerk mentioned that restock was nearly unavailable.

I commented that Obama is the greatest gun and ammo salesman I have ever seen.

Yep.

Stupidity, lack of foresight, whatever, most people aren't going to wait around and be patient while scum rattles the sabers on bans, confiscations, limits and usurpation of law.

Folks just aren't going to risk the calling of a bluff, because their elected officials are serious about attacking those who care more about rule of law than they do.

When your government is hell bent on making you a criminal, you'll do what you can and within your means in the short-term that might be one of the last free things you do.

It doesn't even have to be ammo purchases...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"However I buy shotgun shells a pallet at a time."

Whoaaa! Montana Creek Hunter You undoubtedly shoot more shotgun shells in a month than I probably have in my Whole life.

Jerry

Maybe but I am sure you have shot a lot more rifle and handgun rounds then I have. I am just worried about the ammo tax as that would put a halt to my sporting clays shooting real fast. But even worst is that Sporting clays clubs are having a hard enough time staying open and above water as it is. With the Evil Empire driving cost its going to put a lot of the small clubs I really enjoy shooting at out of business. They know this and its all part of their plan. They know they can't get their agenda passed so instead they will look to make it unaffordable.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know a lot of shooters love the Sporting Clays events, but somehow or other I just can't get into them.. Tried a couple - but compared to other shooting sports like trap/skeet, they cost double per round (at least, around this part of the world) and it's sssslllooooowwwwwwwww .

What does a round cost in your neck o' the woods? Last time here it was $15/round..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.