Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#7458355 02/18/13
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Fascinate me. From watching 40 hummingbirds at the feeders in the summer, to a dozen goldfinches and cardinals right now. I saw a flock of 40 or so white pelicans circle the house not 60 feet up yesterday. Watched 2 bobwhites scurry from one bunch of brush to another in the backyard yesterday morning and I see wood ducks everyday on my place.

I don't remember the last time I didn't hear at least 1 owl, if not a few and I just watched a bald eagle go by.

Yep, birds fascinate me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me too, working on the water lets me see a wide variety of species. I always have my field guide with me and am absolutely giddy when I ID a species I've never seen before. Like the Bonaparte gulls that hang out at Bald Head Island.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you're in a good spot. Have you put up any [b][color:#3333FF]wood duck boxes[/color][/b] yet..? Might not be too late...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I had two large flocks of snow geese merge into one group over our house yesterday afternoon. smile

The spring migration has started, reports from Grand Island are that the Sandhill Cranes are just starting to arrive along the Platte River.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I live in a big migratory zone for raptors and song birds.

I keep my Silbey's bird guide in my pack.

feeding 30 or so gold finches, quail, chickadees all winter. had a few Huns and chukar by the house this morning.

Saw a shrike yesterday and a saw whet owl.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been facinated by birds all my life.In my younger days I was offered a scholarship to Cornell University to study ornithology.I ended up turning it down,upstate New York did not appeal to an eighteen year old intent upon chasing British Columbia moose,mulies and mallards.This winter just from the porch I've seen goshawks,pine grosbeaks,barred owls,mountain chickadees and all of the other usual winter residents.I never tire of watching them. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yep, birds fascinate me.

Me too!
They are pretty crazy, as well as crazy smart.
Been whacking some crows lately and the resulting chaos never gets old.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Sounds like you're in a good spot. Have you put up any [b][color:#3333FF]wood duck boxes[/color][/b] yet..? Might not be too late...

Good idea

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No water around the house, no wood ducks.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Watching the crows chase the big old barred owl around my neighbor hood a couple times a weeek this year, I've been tempted to take the pellet gun out and bust one, but that isn't legal in my area.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I love watching birds. Our house is about fifty feet up over the St. Lawrence River. I never get tired of watching the waterfowl (until it freezes.) This year, besides all the duck species, we had a couple of groups of swans of some sort hanging around. Saw a bald eagle today, out over the ice, and the wife and I saw one the other day when walking the dogs. I love the little birds, too. It's woods all around the house and we have more species than I can think of at the moment. Nothing quite as cool as seeing a wood duck perched up in a tree....

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
My grandfather use to goose hunt on the St. Lawrence somewhere NW of Potsdam, of course that was in the 1920's.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I threw out some bird feed a few days ago .

Not much here yet.

Juncos, sparrows, crows, nuthatches, cardinals and of course the dreaded squirrels seemed to enjoy it.
It's very early in the year here though.

Put some suet up and nary a taker yet.

My brother is getting his trees mauled by a couple pileated woodpeckers. Massive destruction. Lol

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Pileated woodpeckers are very cool birds. I haven't seen one in several years.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yeah they are uber cool.

I'd put them in my top five. I don't think they're very plentiful anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yeah they are uber cool.

I'd put them in my top five. I don't think they're very plentiful anywhere.

I get them in my yard, I love to watch them fly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always been fond of birds as well. Growing up our pastor was an avid birder and a great artist. He would do chalk drawings for the kids during church with a little lesson to go along with it. I was one of the few kids that would know what kind of bird he was drawing. I had gotten a field guide in Yellowstone on a camping trip there and read it cover to cover when I was a kid. I think it was for kids IIRC.

I have downloaded a birding field guide app on my phone. There are a couple of good ones available. I wouldn't call myself a birder for sure and don't spend time specifically to go watch them but enjoy them on outdoor outings and am on the lookout when out and about just to see what I can see.

My wife and I enjoyed the movie that just came out with Jack Black, Steve Martin and Owen Wilson about birding called "the Big Year". It was a good fuunny look into the kind of people that are really into it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unless you're talking big birds over wide open spaces, most bird watching is done with your ears.

Pretty cool to be able to walk through the woods pretty much identifying everything that calls as effortlessly as you recall an old song from just a few notes.

I teach big city and I've many times taught classrooms full of city kids thirty local bird calls in just a few classes using this...

http://www.thayerbirding.com/

In fact bird calls carry so much information with them I've always wondered about lurking Indians communicating with bird calls.

If those calls weren't exactly right for the time, season, habitat and location using them would be a red flag to those who knew that an ambush was about to go down. If the calls WERE exactly right, then a lot of ambushes must've been sprung too early by actual woodpeckers and such grin

In fact I suspect that the Indians from long familiarity in the woods habitually ID'd calls (which is something you can't avoid doing if you know 'em), and were alert to the info they contained.

Case in point; chickadees. Resident flocks of chickadees in the woods are about the closest thing we have to troops of monkeys: They move in groups, they constantly communicate, and they pay attention to what goes on in their territory, alerting their flock mates to danger.

So if I were laying out in ambush for an enemy, the bird most likely to take note of the fact, perch over my head, and sound the alarm would be a chickadee, if only for a few moments, see...

http://phys.org/news4716.html

Sure enough, when I looked it up, I found this concerning the Cherokees....

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheBirdTribes-Cherokee.html

The chickadee (Parus carolinensis), and the tufted titmouse, (Parus bicolor), utsu'`g�, or u'st�t�, are both regarded as news bringers, but the one is venerated as a truth teller while the other is scoffed at as a lying messenger, for reasons which appear in the story of N��yunu'w� (q. v.).

When the ts�k�lil�' perches on a branch near the house and chirps its song it is taken as an omen that an absent friend will soon be heard from or that a secret enemy is plotting mischief.

Many stories are told in confirmation of this belief, among which may be instanced that of Tom Starr, a former noted outlaw of the Cherokee Nation of the West, who, on one occasion, was about to walk unwittingly into an ambush prepared for him along a narrow trail, when he heard the warning note of the ts�k�lil�', and, turning abruptly, ran up the side of the ridge and succeeded in escaping with his life, although hotly pursued by his enemies.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

We see (and certainly hear) them each summer at our place up in Ontario. They're huge and sound like a jackhammer in a tree. Very cool birds.

There's a cove I've been paddling a canoe into up there since I was a kid. Sometimes I sit for hours on end. There's everything from kingfishers, families of loons, wood ducks, mallards, terns, eagles, etc. I've even witnessed a few huge pike feeding on the ducklings there. One of the few places I'm totally at peace.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We took the oldest Grandaughter out for a ride on the quad today. I came over a rolling hill and right square in the trail about fifty yards in front of me was a Golden Eagle. No Camera on the quad. And I would not have had time to deploy it, had it been there.

But it was a thrill to watch that majestic predator rise from the ground.

Later I showed the younger guys how us old men can still smash clays on the side of the next ridge. I used the 6x284 for that.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.