Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hardway
I feel bad for you guys..... even after this has passed you are still not even close to the bs we have here in CA, but for any jackazz that ran his piehole about CA, NY, etc. sportsman "letting" it happen in our states.....well hows them apples? You guys that think it can't happen in your state....please look at what is happening, it is coming and you must fight.

Everyone better take this to heart!!! The time to Fight and keep fighting is "NOW"! Not after it happens

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Memner
CPL Life Member
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Basically what you all are saying is that the Constitution doesn't work!

Welcome to the real world!

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very sorry for my friends in Colorado

and truthfully our nation as a whole

we all that love freedom suffer when anti American legislation such as this passes in any house of gov't anywhere in our great nation.

it's a loss for all of us that value freedom, the Constitution and what was once the USA

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And just when I was considering going to Denver for the national American Water Works Assoc. meeting in June. Think I will write the Governor and let him know I won't be attending the conference in his screwed up state...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've cussed this fact in the past since we wind up with some crazy 5hit on the ballot, but it might be an angle for hope. In Colorado, it is relatively easy to start a ballot initiative. I've a good mind to start one myself:

The number of signatures required for a successful petition is equal to 5% of the total number of votes cast for the office of Secretary of State in the preceding general election. The same number of signatures is required for constitutional amendments, statutes, and referendums.

86,105 signatures would do it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll sign Superdave! Let me know!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I kind of like "The State shall make no law limiting the amount of live rounds that any firearm may hold at once."

Keeps it simple.

To hell with the pheasants too.

Last edited by superdave; 02/18/13. Reason: my speller is broken when I'm PO'd
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by superdave
I've cussed this fact in the past since we wind up with some crazy 5hit on the ballot, but it might be an angle for hope. In Colorado, it is relatively easy to start a ballot initiative. I've a good mind to start one myself:

The number of signatures required for a successful petition is equal to 5% of the total number of votes cast for the office of Secretary of State in the preceding general election. The same number of signatures is required for constitutional amendments, statutes, and referendums.

Then you just need 10 million bucks or so.....You guys voted for BHO in the last election and have a Dem majority in both houses and you think you'll get enough votes? Wasting time and money....Your only viable option now is the judical branch.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks arffdog, we need to get together again one of these days. Cabin fever's killing me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gun lobby's far from broke. Think this crap is going to stop at just one of the square states? Might as well throw down somewhere.

"you guys" is laughable. Hell, I can see Utah from my yard. Denverites call the political shots but ceased to represent the geographic majority in this state decades ago. That's the way the nation's going too, in case nobody's noticed.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Let me know as well, I'll sign your petition.
Not a pretty day in CO, glad I gave all my guns away yesterday. I was pretty sure I would be committing a crime and figured it best to transfer them all to folks that I didn't suspect or have any reason to believe they were felons.

Keep Smiling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Colorado hasn't been a good state for over 20 years.

I moved from Colorado to Wyoming in 1978. That when Colorado started downhill. whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
@ Superdave.....'you guys" just meant Co in general. We have the same issue here in Ca in that the big urban areas control the politics for the remaining 90% of the state. I was simply trying to inform you that once a states voting majority reaches the dark shade of blue yours has, the fight at the ballot box is over. Your only chance is to challenge the laws in the court system. YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does Colorado have a pistol/rifle association that's a state affilitate of the NRA? What do they say about all this??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Colorado brothers if you think they are going to stop here you are sadly mistaken.

Each of you and any of our like minded friends there need to insert yourself in the process now. Don't sit by and read the headlines make a difference if you love your way of life you must protect it.

Don't be fooled they are after you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by superdave

That's great to hear. Get to it.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hardway
@ Superdave.....'you guys" just meant Co in general. We have the same issue here in Ca in that the big urban areas control the politics for the remaining 90% of the state. I was simply trying to inform you that once a states voting majority reaches the dark shade of blue yours has, the fight at the ballot box is over. Your only chance is to challenge the laws in the court system. YMMV.
This isn't true. Conservative ballot initiatives are often successful in blue states. This is because they also measure dedication to a cause, not just raw numbers. Furthermore, blue state legislatures often overreach in the leftist policies they implement, i.e., the majority of residents don't actually support them, which fact only becomes manifest in the ballot initiative.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At least it sounds like the higher cap. Mags are grandfathered unlike in NY where they are no longer legal to own.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

DENVER � Limits on the size of ammunition magazines and universal background checks passed the Colorado House on Monday, during a second day of emotional debates that has drawn attention from the White House as lawmakers try to address recent mass shootings.

The bills were among four that the Democratic-controlled House passed amid strong resistance from Republicans, who were joined by a few Democrats to make some of the votes close.

The proposed ammunition restrictions limit magazines to 15 rounds for firearms, and eight for shotguns. Three Democrats joined all Republicans voting no on the bill, but the proposal passed 34-31.

"Enough is enough. I'm sick and tired of bloodshed," said Democratic Rep. Rhonda Fields, a sponsor of the bill and representative of the district where the shootings at an Aurora theater happened last summer. Fields' son was also fatally shot in 2005.

Republicans argued that the proposals restrict Second Amendment rights and won't prevent mass shootings like the ones in Aurora and a Connecticut elementary school.

"This bill will never keep evil people from doing evil things," said Republican Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg.

The House also approved a bill requiring background checks on all gun purchases, including those between private sellers and firearms bought online.

Other proposals would ban concealed firearms at colleges and stadiums, and another requires that gun purchasers pay for their own background checks. Democrats eked out the closest vote on the background check measure, which passed on a 33-32 vote.

Democratic Rep. Ed Vigil, who represents rural southern Colorado, voted against the four bills, saying his decision was rooted in the state's rugged history.

"This is part of our heritage. This is part of what it took to settle this land. I cannot turn my back on that," he said.

But even though a few Democrats joined Republicans in voting no for the bills, the Democrats' 37-28 advantage in the House gave them enough leeway.

The Senate still needs to consider the proposals. Democrats will need to be more unified in their support there because their advantage is only 20-15. That means Republicans need only three Democrats to join them to defeat the bills.

House lawmakers began debating the bills Friday. Lawmakers debated for 12 hours before giving initial approval to the bills, setting up the final recorded votes Monday. During the debate Friday, Vice President Joe Biden called four Democrats, including two in moderate districts, to solidify support for the measures.

Democratic Rep. Dominick Moreno, who represents a district in suburban Denver, was among the four lawmakers. He said Biden "emphasized the importance of Colorado's role in shaping national policy around this issue."

Castle Rock Republican Rep. Carole Murray brought up Biden's calls during Monday's debate, saying she didn't appreciate "East-coast politicians" trying to influence Colorado legislators.

Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper supports the expanded background checks, and thinks gun buyers should pay for them. He also said he may support limits on the size of magazines, if lawmakers agree to a number between 15 and 20. He said he hasn't decided whether to support banning concealed firearms on campuses and stadiums.

Republicans say students should have the right to defend themselves.

"Do not disarm our young adults in general and our young women in particular on our college campuses in the name of a gun-free zone," Republican Rep. Jim Wilson said.

The gun debate highlights a fundamental philosophical difference between many Democrats and Republicans.

"I resent the implication that unless we all arm ourselves we will not be adequately protected," said Dickey Lee Hullinghorst, the Democrats' leader in the House.

Republican Rep. Christ Holbert became emotional while explaining his opposition to the bills. He said he understood Fields cares about the bills, because of her district and because her son was shot and killed in 2005.

"But I care passionately about the United States Constitution and the constitution of this state, and the oath that we have taken," Holbert said.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.