Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have 50 rounds of new, unfired Herters 6.5x55 that I am going to give to a friend who is getting started in reloading. I am curious as to who made brass for Herters? Was it Norma? Thanks.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mart
I have 50 rounds of new, unfired Herters 6.5x55 that I am going to give to a friend who is getting started in reloading. I am curious as to who made brass for Herters? Was it Norma? Thanks.

Mart

I've heard that some of Herter's brass was sourced from Svenska Metallverken. SM merged with Norma around 1965.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it was Norma, but don't remember for sure. I know it was made in Sweden, but that doesn't mean Norma for sure...I just seem to think that it is.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm thinking Norma, also. Good stuff

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks guys. I thought it was probably Norma.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have 100 Herters 7x57 cases. Boxes state Made in Sweden. I was thinking Norma but who knows? Boxes sure are pretty though.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had Herters brass in 30-06, 243,264 Mag it was soft would not even take the same loads as RP,WW, or Fed. Cycled it all out at gunshows. Goodluck Magnum Man

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I enjoyed the Herter's catalog back in the 60's when I was an impressionable lad. Their stuff was all the World's Best, and of course, that impressed me.

I had one of their massive cast iron loading press, a scale and other "best" stuff... cool

DF

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
As a kid, I bought a lot of stuff from Herter's, figuring that since it was the World's Best, I couldn't go wrong. After all, you can't print something that's untrue, right?

I never failed to be disappointed, but kept buying stuff since the catalog was so attractive.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anybody remember the old wasp-waist bullets by Herters?

I have a box of .30 cal 180 gr. Never loaded any though.....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had some Herters .30/06 dies that stood head and shoulders above RCBS. Some of the easiest working dies I've ever owned. I'd like to know who made them, they are excellent. (still got them stashed).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had several sets of Herter dies and they were good, although I eventually traded them. I wouldn't say they were better than RCBS, but they did the job.

I had forgotten about Herter's "wasp shaped" bullets. Never did shoot any. I could see how they may cut down on bearing surface and drag, but don't see how they could be manufactured as precisely as conventional bullets.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Devoured the Herter's catalogues when I was a kid. Always pictured their headquarters as being located in a conifer forest on the shore of a lake, with loons calling. Finally had a chance to drop by in 1977. It was a very large metal building on the edge of an expansive corn field. No lake or loons to be seen. Not many trees around, either.

I did pick up up a very nice stock blank (cheap from the discard bin) that later decorated my first "custom" rifle.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I had several sets of Herter dies and they were good, although I eventually traded them. I wouldn't say they were better than RCBS, but they did the job.

I had forgotten about Herter's "wasp shaped" bullets. Never did shoot any. I could see how they may cut down on bearing surface and drag, but don't see how they could be manufactured as precisely as conventional bullets.

DF

I always wondered how the "wasp shaped" bullets were manufactured as well. I considered several processes, but they would have all been prohibitively expensive.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mudhen
I did pick up up a very nice stock blank (cheap from the discard bin) that later decorated my first "custom" rifle.

My first DIY custom stock job was a French Walnut semi-inletted blank from Herters for a surplus Springfield that I later rebarreled with a McGowen SS. This barrel is med heavy and chambered in .270, my only rifle for that round. I fit and glass bedded the stock, trimmed it down from its original configuration, finished it and checkered it, skip a line, with tools I bought. The gun is a bit crude compared to my later work and is way too heavy. I guess we learn as we go. The old gun has a Timney trigger and is pretty accurate.

DF

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I grew up close to the Herters store and loved taggin alog with Dad and my brothers every trip! It was a rainy day trip off the farm. I still use the number 3# press that my older brothers used and love it. I just moved it to our house on the other side of the farm, I dont think I will ever get another press. Anytime I look at a newer one they just seem small flimsy and cheap, I know there are other great presses but that just me. After the store moved to Mitchell SD we would stop when going out west hunting, but it just wasnt the same anymore.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't they also have a Banana Peel bullet? It was sort of pre- peeled and of course was the worlds finest, but probably because it was the worlds only Banana Peel bullet.

Those Wasp wasted bullets were pretty sexy looking to a pubescent and impressionable youth.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like there was a number of us young pups, sipping the Herter Kool-Aid... laugh

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well,
I still have a few of the Wasp Waisted bullets and several hundred rounds of 22-3000 brass. I also have some that are fireformed into 2R Lovell.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by darrylf
I grew up close to the Herters store and loved taggin alog with Dad and my brothers every trip! It was a rainy day trip off the farm. I still use the number 3# press that my older brothers used and love it. I just moved it to our house on the other side of the farm, I dont think I will ever get another press. Anytime I look at a newer one they just seem small flimsy and cheap, I know there are other great presses but that just me. After the store moved to Mitchell SD we would stop when going out west hunting, but it just wasnt the same anymore.

My first press was a second-hand Herters. As noted, it was anything but flimsy and cheap. There was a rumor that in its previous life it was a WWII destroyer that was decommissioned, melted down, and recast (in its entirety) as my press.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,607
Posts18,473,729
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.