Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Pileated woodpeckers are very cool birds. I haven't seen one in several years.

We have two pair that have been around for years at our N.E. Bamma spot. The boys are ALWAYS amazed at them as well as I.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I lost much of my hearing in 1971. Now I can hear birds again. You guys have no idea how thrilling it is. Our cabin sits at the edge of a woodlot filled with birds from owls to several kinds of woodpeckers. Now I watch and listen.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's flocks of Honkers that fly over my house every day and sometimes they'll land in the fields behind my house. I've got a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves nesting in a spruce tree in the front yard even though it's winter.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My grandfather use to goose hunt on the St. Lawrence somewhere NW of Potsdam, of course that was in the 1920's.

"We're "somewhere NW of Potsdam". When I was a kid I used to hunt with some of the old timers from that era. One was an old bootlegger. Great stories of days gone by. Are you connected with this area, Scott?

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Had family in the Lake Placid area MANY moons ago. Both sides of my family are from NY state.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pard's mom has a Purple Martin box up. It was chilly one AM and we were waiting for the wind to go down and sun to get higher and I was bored.

[Linked Image]

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Birds are cool.

We have quite a few pileated woodpeckers around, SE Okla. Nothing like hearing them in the spring and having a gobbler gobble at it. We dont have bobwhite quail anymore. Sad deal. As a kid growing up in the late 60's & 70's everybody who hunted had a dog pen with bird dogs. I cant remember the last pointer or setter I've seen around here.
We put hummingbird feeders out during the summer and enjoy them a lot.
We have some sort of little birds that make several nests in out barn each summer and raise babies. Pretty neat stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
Pard's mom has a Purple Martin box up. It was chilly one AM and we were waiting for the wind to go down and sun to get higher and I was bored.

Neat pic, nice color..I think that's a Tree swallow...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
We have had Gray Catbirds nesting next to our house for the last several years, they have a beautiful and very recognizable song. You are more likely to hear a Catbird singing than to see them.

[Linked Image]

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have tons of birds around my place.

Love watching the numerous valley quail & turkeys.
There were 50 + turkeys off my back deck the other day.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Birds are indeed cool to watch but if you watch them close, you will never see an animal with a colder, more heartless eye. The little dinosaurs have no mercy at all. We are lucky that they are not larger.

[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Birds of Prey are most fascinating to me. I have had the good fortune of seeing two Prairie Falcons locally in the last couple of months. Very unusual, as it is outside their normal range. I suspect that with the drought being so bad in Texas lately, that they are ranging a bit to find prey.

When I retire, I will take up falconry.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not only woodie boxes but I bet you could put up whistler boxes too.

I think they should be in your area and they take well to slightly larger boxes and holes IIRC. Its been a few years since we put ours up...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yeah they are uber cool.

I'd put them in my top five. I don't think they're very plentiful anywhere.

I get them in my yard, I love to watch them fly.

We have at least three nesting pairs on our place. One pair nests in an old sycamore tree about 100 yards from our front porch and I can watch them everyday.

We also have Great Horned Owls, a pair of Red Tail Hawks, Bluebirds, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Yellow belly Sapsuckers, Flickers, Thrush, Carolina Wrens, Nuthatches, Titmouse (Titmice? grin ), Chickadees, Killdeer, and too many damned Crows.

I love to watch the birds!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the last week alone I have seen a Great Horned Owl, two Red Shouldered Hawks, a Redtail Hawk, a Pileated Woodpecker and heard a several Barred Owls and a Screech Owl all in the woods behind my house. It is almost time to start hearing the Chuck-Wills-Widows calling at night down here too. I look forward to that every year.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

We have quite a few up here. Cool birds and I think their call is great. It wakes up the turkeys too.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by horse1

Neat pic, nice color..I think that's a Tree swallow...

I think so, too. We've got a pair of tree swallows that nest every year in a blue bird house I built. Love to watch 'em flit about eating bugs.

Lousy pic-
[Linked Image]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
Birds are indeed cool to watch but if you watch them close, you will never see an animal with a colder, more heartless eye. The little dinosaurs have no mercy at all. We are lucky that they are not larger.

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. We get occasional sightings of a Northern Shrike throughout winter. This year I had one chasing after the chickadees that were nibbling on some corn I had thrown out for the deer.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Love watching Ravens floating the thermals at the bluff overlooking Kachemak Bay. For their size they are amazingly agile.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have quite the range of vocalizations, too.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.