Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you had 70k just sitting in a bank and wanted to make more off it, what would you do with it?
You already own 5 houses, live in one and get rental income from the other 4. Your old, with failing health and have 3 of those 5 houses already in 2 childrens names, and the other 2 gifted in your will.
So no more real estate.

Would you invest in stocks of a company, buy metals, or? ?

This is a serious question on what to do to have your money work for you to make more.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First question is "Do really need to make more and you are willing to take the risk?"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fish head
First question is "Do really need to make more and you are willing to take the risk?"

Thats what I was thinkin,...The first thing I would do is just thank the LORD for my blessings! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One wants to buy another property, but daughters are thinking something else.
It's money for his kids.
There is risk in real estate as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are older= less risk. I'd no go into stocks.
Muni bonds are not paying much right now,and interest rates ae not going to rise any time soon,but you can get 4$% looking around and most are tax free so that adds a few percentage points to them depending on where you are at in the tax rate tables.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Spend it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, I'm trying to look out for others! !!!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
One option you might consider is laddering bonds. Spread the money out over 4 years. Keep 10k for an emergency fund, then put 15k into a bond maturing in 2014, 15k into a bond maturing in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
You can look into corporate bonds, government bonds or municipal bonds depending on your risk tolerance and tax situation. This will give you more return without greatly increasing your risk, how much of either you want is up to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was looking to invest right now, I would concentrate on companies that either produce or refine raw materials. I believe these companies will benefit most from the coming Obama inflation as they can respond faster to rising commodity prices.

As examples, Archer Daniels Midland is a grain processor that will be able to pass on raw material price very fast. International Paper would be another example. Their vast tracts of timber and their wood products production should move in lock step with inflation.

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Government bonds are paying 2% max. What about bank and utility stocks with strong ratings that pay dividends in the 4-5% range?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
To me the most important question would be how long or short a period of time do you want to invest this money?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

If the monies are in the bank, I am going to assume income is not necessarily a top priority and you are simply looking to maintain or hedge against inflationary pressures. At the same time, you have done some estate tax planning in moving those monies into your children�s name.
Is it possible to �lend� your children the monies and let them pay an agreed upon interest rate that is forgiven each year. You would take the tax break on the forgiven interest at a return better than you are earning and, if managed properly, would not exceed what the gift amounts are annually so the kids would not pay taxes on the forgiven debt. This would allow for the monies to be used if medical care was needed and the future planning would allow Medicare and Medicaid to kick in sooner if needed.
If I have made any false assumptions, I apologize

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd hit them up for a paid NRA membership.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hire a hitman to collect stuff people have stolen from you.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since it looks like the kids are taken care of, I really wouldnt be thinking about much more than my failing health, being old..... and how that corresponds with the people I know and care about. The least of my concerns would be money in the bank doing nothing.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slg888
Hire a hitman to collect stuff people have stolen from you.

Not enough hit men out there to take out the entire IRS. Just say'n.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go see a professional.
Preferably one with gray hair and 20+ years in the business.
Watch to see how well he/she *listens* to your objectives.

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sounds like it's time for an Alaskian Road Trip with all the frills.

Lifetime NRA memberships for all the kids and relatives.
-Lifetime hunting and fishing license's for the same.
-Reloading equipment for everyone.
-Semi auto rifles when the price drops again.
-Custom Longbows, arrows and all the equipment for everyone. Especially the little ones.

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It ain't my money.
The guy is trying to make sure his kids are taken care of. He gets a nice monthly retirement, and was thinking of buying another house for more monthly income, that exceeds interest rates.
Then doing something else with it was suggested.
70k isn't really enough to get another decent house, so selling one rental and combining the cash with that money and buying another was suggested.

Steelhead, GFY.

Last edited by splattermatic; 02/19/13.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by splattermatic
If you had 70k just sitting in a bank and wanted to make more off it, what would you do with it?
You already own 5 houses, live in one and get rental income from the other 4. Your old, with failing health and have 3 of those 5 houses already in 2 childrens names, and the other 2 gifted in your will.
So no more real estate.

Would you invest in stocks of a company, buy metals, or? ?

This is a serious question on what to do to have your money work for you to make more.

At this point in history, physical metals would be the best way to go, and gold is a more efficient store of value than silver in terms of weight/volume per value. You could store that much gold in a small wall safe. Good time to get in, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 3,451 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,410
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.