Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have heard that the HI-Lux with the Toyotas D4D diesel engine get around 30mpg.
The only thing I dislike about my 13 Tacoma is the mileage sucks for a small truck.

That was probably in countries with lower emmision standards?

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have heard that the HI-Lux with the Toyotas D4D diesel engine get around 30mpg.
The only thing I dislike about my 13 Tacoma is the mileage sucks for a small truck.

I would have expected much better and once the EPA got done with them I would expect even less. I just don't think the small truck diesel thing would work for me.

Once you get into a 3/4 ton and up it all sorta makes better sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As mentioned earlier, on a trip to Scotland, and while laden full of kit, my friends Hi Lux returned 36mpg, but thats imperial gallons so you figure would be about right for you guys..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pete E

As mentioned earlier, on a trip to Scotland, and while laden full of kit, my friends Hi Lux returned 36mpg, but thats imperial gallons so you figure would be about right for you guys..

30mpg (US)? Interesting...

What were the driving conditions? Highway? Speeds?

Thanks,

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Pete E

30mpg (US)? Interesting...

What were the driving conditions? Highway? Speeds?

Thanks,

David

Those figures were mostly highways on the trip up/down and we used the cruise control to keep it at 65mph for the most part..

I would say all the common current generation diesel pick-ups or SUV's available in the UK offer in excess of 30mpg (imperial) with many offering in the high 30's or even mid 40 mpg for SUV's..

Most come with diesel engines in the 2L to 3L size range and I would say would be similar to your compact or midsize vehicles..We don't really get the equivalent of your 5L and 6L full size picks-ups..Vehicles of that size tend to be in the light commercial market...

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mossy

I'll take the 360HP Hemi at 20mpg over a 240HP diesel at 25mpg anyday.

The Hemi is gonna smoke this diesel in towing performance. [/quote]

Me too. I'll take the Ford 5.0l V-8 over both of em. The cost of the new diesel is not going to make the move worth while. Nobody keeps trucks that long anymore.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Nobody keeps trucks that long anymore.

In my opinion, people seem to be keeping their trucks longer and longer these days. Few folks want to pony up for a new $45k truck and drive it for 2-3 years. The average truck lasts a lot longer these days than it did back in the 80's or even the early 90's. Like I said, just my opinion......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro

In my opinion, people seem to be keeping their trucks longer and longer these days. Few folks want to pony up for a new $45k truck and drive it for 2-3 years. The average truck lasts a lot longer these days than it did back in the 80's or even the early 90's. Like I said, just my opinion......

I'll second that. I paid less than $16K for my 2500HD. I'll bet it's engine and tranny will out - last any new gas model too. I plan to keep my truck for at least another 200-300K miles, and I have no doubt it will last that long. Even factoring in occasional repairs, my truck will cost FAR less than any new full - size gas truck, and it will tow a lot more weight to boot.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

I don't think of the Taco as a small truck anymore.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

Isn't the Hilux a little smaller than the Tacoma?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1

The guy I was taking about who owns the Hi Lux upgraded from an older model and the new one is noticeably bigger.., Given that and from what I have read, I don't think there is that much difference these days..Certainly the current Hi Lux is one of the bigger pick-ups on our market..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by mudhen
Ford says that they will offer a 3.2 liter diesel in the F-150 in 2014. (Couldn't retrieve the link from Car and Driver--must have to be a subscriber.)

oooooohhhh, the chance to buy another Ford Diesel! Am I the only one just a bit more than a little skeptical of Ford and diesels right now?

Not just "no", but "hell no".

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Its the same size as the 95 Chevy S-10 I had, so I would say its small.
Last week I got 15mpg on a strictly hwy driving trip with the cruise st at 70mph. Of course this was with Milwaukee, WI blended fuel.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/19/13.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, thanks for the correction.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TC1

They are about the same size, the HI lux might actually weigh more because it has a beefier frame and running gear.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Last week I got 15mpg on a strictly hwy driving trip with the cruise st at 70mph. Of course this was with Milwaukee, WI blended fuel.

Geez that sucks! My '12DCSB 4x4 gets more like 18-19 cruising at 72ish... Something doesn't sound right to me...

David

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by mudhen
Ford says that they will offer a 3.2 liter diesel in the F-150 in 2014. (Couldn't retrieve the link from Car and Driver--must have to be a subscriber.)

oooooohhhh, the chance to buy another Ford Diesel! Am I the only one just a bit more than a little skeptical of Ford and diesels right now?

Not just "no", but "hell no".

Double hell no.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Geez that sucks! My '12DCSB 4x4 gets more like 18-19 cruising at 72ish... Something doesn't sound right to me...

David

You guys have ethanol blended fuel and RFG down there?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Originally Posted by JPro

I'll second that. I paid less than $16K for my 2500HD. I'll bet it's engine and tranny will out - last any new gas model too. I plan to keep my truck for at least another 200-300K miles, and I have no doubt it will last that long. Even factoring in occasional repairs, my truck will cost FAR less than any new full - size gas truck, and it will tow a lot more weight to boot.

every one I know including myself keeps there vehicle until there is nothing left worth salvaging, my last truck had 300+, I traded it when I couldn't a line it anymore and the doors wouldn't close (bent frame) my dad currently has a 93 GMC with 250k, my uncle is about to roll 300K on 94 Chevy, I've got a buddy with a 5.9 Cummings that last I knew was over 400k and several other friends with Cummings that have 250+

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You guys have ethanol blended fuel and RFG down there?

Forgot about the blended fuels - that really blows, sorry...

Worst we have to deal with is 10%.

David

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,842
Posts18,517,195
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.