Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I have a small sebenza that has sat in the box for quite a few years, and I just can't bring myself to use it. Seems I have it for a potential back-pack hunt as it is so light. But without a proven track record, to know how it holds an edge/sharpens, I don't to use it. More of a jewel at this point.

With my Ingrams, I know they will still be shaving sharp after a mule deer gets put into my backpack. I don't even bring sharpening tools into the field.
Can I do this with a sebenza with confidence?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Chris Reeves knives are excellent.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll trade you a brand new Ingram Spey for your Sebenza.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the offer, but I will keep the Sebenza for now.

Good to hear they have a good reputation.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Chris Reeves knife has an S30V blade and it holds an edge exceptionally well. I know of several hard core Idaho hunters who carry the Sebenza and are very happy with the performance. You should carry your Sabenza with confidence.

Just a suggestion but why not carry it as your EDC and use the crap out of it in order to gain confidence prior to your hunt? I don't carry an unproven knife on a remote hunt unless I've used it for some serious work.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am looking for a large Sebenza if anyone has one.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
George is your sebbie S30V or BG-42 ?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is s30v, and remains unused. Might you have any experience using yours?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have owned and used a few but alway end up getting suckered out of them on trades. Like I said they are excellent knives. Easy to sell/trade and get almost all your money back as long as they have been used but not abused.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/19/13.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't want this to come across as being smart or rude......

I've been looking at these knives for years and like the looks. I wish I could read more about people that's used them. Seems they get good reviews but seem its just on quality and not years of use. Guess I need to stop being a sissy and get one and use the heck out of it...?.....lol. Look forward to seeing how this thread continues.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got a small Sebenza for my birthday last month. So far it's sat in the gun safe, I worry about loosing such an expensive knife much more than the CRKT I usually carry.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't want this to come across as being smart or rude......

I've been looking at these knives for years and like the looks. I wish I could read more about people that's used them. Seems they get good reviews but seem its just on quality and not years of use. Guess I need to stop being a sissy and get one and use the heck out of it...?.....lol. Look forward to seeing how this thread continues.

I can assure you they will last as long as you live provided you take care of it. An excellent knife all around.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
[Linked Image]

I used my CRS on a cull hunt shown above <grin> and probably 20 other deer. Got it in 2005 and it was an EDC until I got a Gene Wiseman folder a couple years ago. Now I swap them out every few days just for kicks.

The CRS is a tough azz knife and I've certainly used it hard and it never let me down. If I had to pick one, it'd be the CRS.

But, I ain't giving up the Wiseman knife either!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear it has worked well for you!

Did you touch it up much between all the deer? If so what did you use

I use a lansky myself, after I sent an email to Gene Ingram and asked what he used/recommended.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is your wiseman D2?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a knifemaker I've carried mine on a daily basis for about 5-6 years now. An occasional cleaning and blade touch up is all it needs. I made fun of them for years thinking they were clunky junk till I traded into one. A knife you can depend on !!

See what's available at my website. Thanks

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not used one, but thought about ordering one several times. The one thing that always kept me from jumping was the RC on the blade....I can't remember what it was, but it was treated to several points lower than most custom makers get S30V to. With the lower RC, I really wasn't sure that S30V would perform much better than a lot of cheaper options...so I never bought one. They may have changed that now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RC was a concern for me also...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They made some w/ bg-42 which is a hell of a lot better steel!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have never found S30V in the 58-59RC to be an issue. RC isn't the only number in the equation. For a lot of clowns they would be better off with a lower RC. BG-42 is a fine blade material that for whatever reason never really caught on. Steels have a wider range of RC usefulness then a lot of makers would like to have you believe. Higher isn't always better, in some cases it is, really comes down to the blade and what its intended purpose is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 73 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,053
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.