Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Rockchucker30 and I are working on a series of blogs that will be posted on the Seek Outside site. The subject matter will be anything and everything to help the rookie or non-resident elk hunter be successful.

My question to all of you, and I know you are out there because there are LOTS of threads everywhere, is what questions do you have about elk hunting? What can we do in a series like this to help you with your elk hunt?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What is a blog?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kawi
What is a blog?

Base Load Orgasm Generator

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What can we do in a series like this to help you with your elk hunt?

How to field dress and pack out elk meat and cape and horns is a most important item.

Elk hunting changes from deer hunting after shooting the elk and mostly it's because of the enormous mass.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try this. Gutless Method

The big thing us newbies want to know is where the heck do we find elk. How to locate, pattern and successfully get into position to take a shot. The other stuff has been covered in spades.

One thing I have never seen in print is a breakdown of an elk diet year round. That is a list of plant species and the times that the elk will utilize them for forage. This list would of course be different based on environment. Sage/juniper, ponderosa woods, oak scrub, subalpine/alpine areas.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I want to go bloggen!! Give a sizmik wiench.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Crap do you have to bring the beer to thease blogginns?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
grin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Alectoris
The big thing us newbies want to know is where the heck do we find elk. How to locate, pattern and successfully get into position to take a shot. The other stuff has been covered in spades.

Bingo! Talk about using maps and other resources to help nonresident hunters, who are unable to scout an area, pick out likely places to find elk and good areas to set up base camp.

Another good topic would be basic hunting strategies for different times of day. Flatlanders aren't used to dealing with thermals, so we learn the hard way that tactics change depending on whether the thermals are moving up or down the mountains.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by Alectoris

Bingo! Talk about using maps and other resources to help nonresident hunters, who are unable to scout an area, pick out likely places to find elk and good areas to set up base camp.

Another good topic would be basic hunting strategies for different times of day. Flatlanders aren't used to dealing with thermals, so we learn the hard way that tactics change depending on whether the thermals are moving up or down the mountains.

I agree. Some sample topo scenarios. This looks like good elk country on the map because...this looks like a good camp area because...

Keep in mind that most nonres hunters spend most of their time scouting from in front of a map. Logistically, most nonres hunters just don't have the ability to scout areas or the elk themselves in advance.

Last edited by Diyelker; 02/20/13.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Would be good to talk about things not to do.Like once finding that good elk country and not camping right in the middle of it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
We have planned so far:

1. Figuring out where to apply.
2. Once you have a tag, picking out where to go.
3. Map Scouting, and scouting in general-I plan on a LOT of pictures for this one, identifying elk country.
4. Getting in Hunting shape.
5. Meat Care
6. Equipment needed.

The target is for the DIY hunter, to help them be successful.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Potential new elk hunter here.....That looks like a great list, especially the part about scouting via maps ahead of time and what to look for.

I would add: Animal movements, locations, habits and how they vary throughout the season.

#4 is easy... do P90X for 6 months (or 6 years smile )

Last edited by 68Shooter; 02/21/13.

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Would be good to talk about things not to do.Like once finding that good elk country and not camping right in the middle of it.

+1 and forget this chitt of "patterning" the elk. Find and go shot 1 now!! Tomorrow they may have a new "pattern" in a new county!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 68Shooter

Yeah, if you breathe through a straw. wink

Focus on proper prep of lots of target practice, knowing your load and gun's max effective range and not taking a shot beyond that range, shot placement, meat care and be prepared to pack it out.
Don't be a freakin commercial for gear. The best gear is a prepared, in-shape hunter.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Agreed, gear is only as effective as the person using it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything posted here is news to me. I favorited the blog already.

I just read a book on hunting by Tony Russ who mentions thermals and such; quite an interesting read.

Personally the information about where to find elk, what terrain they like etc is helpful to me.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by 68Shooter

Yeah, if you breathe through a straw. wink

Do you have video? smile

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My question is ... where did those elk I spent all year patterning disappear to at 3:30 am on opening day? (I theorize they're back in town having coffee ... they go on vacation from being elk the day I go on vacation to shoot elk.)

I don't know how to ask this as a question, but my observation is most new hunters / new to area hunters are uncomfortable getting away from their rig especially in foul weather conditions. I see a lot of nice camps with lots of gear and camo-clad people cruising the graveled roads. People need to either spend enough time in the woods in general to be comfortable wherever they are or they need to spend enough time in the spot they'll hunt to be comfortable whatever is happening there. ... otherwise its much more of an uphill battle.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 21, 69 invisible), 3,205 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,435
Posts18,528,611
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.