Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

...allow me to finish this for you, if I may.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Not to rain on your parade but "shale oil" and petroleum derived from fracking shale formations are two different things. There is no "shale oil" currently being processed in US refineries.

If in-situ shale oil extraction was currently technically and economically feasible (it's not, the process used in Canada is ex-situ) there would still be the problem of where all the water required to process it would come from. In a state lke Colorado, that much water is a big deal, and someone would have to give theirs up.

...or it would have to be piped to the water, where facilities already exist.

I think its the other way around, that is you'd need to pipe in water to the site of the fracking..

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell

...allow me to finish this for you, if I may.

Not to rain on your parade but "shale oil" and petroleum derived from fracking shale formations are two different things. There is no "shale oil" currently being processed in US refineries.

If in-situ shale oil extraction was currently technically and economically feasible (it's not, the process used in Canada is ex-situ) there would still be the problem of where all the water required to process it would come from. In a state lke Colorado, that much water is a big deal, and someone would have to give theirs up.

...or it would have to be piped to the water, where facilities already exist.

Allow me to elucidate, if I may.

"Shale oil" is not in liquid form, so it can't be put in a pipeline until it's extracted from the shale.

Besides that little stumbling block, in Colorado most of it's too deep to be economically mined, processed, and extracted at the surface so the oil has to be extracted in-situ. This requires huge amounts of water, heat, and energy.

Like I said, if it was technically and economically feasible on a commercial scale, the oil companies would be all over it. They're not.

Last edited by smokepole; 02/19/13.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pete E
I think its the other way around, that is you'd need to pipe in water to the site of the fracking..

Pete, you'e confusing fracking with extraction of oil from shale, they are not the same. Fracking fractures the rock to make it more permeable to liquids and gas. Shale oil is a solid that has to be heated until it's in liquid form, then extracted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pete, you'e confusing fracking with extraction of oil from shale, they are not the same. Fracking fractures the rock to make it more permeable to liquids and gas. Shale oil is a solid that has to be heated until it's in liquid form, then extracted.

My mistake, thanks for the correction!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right...sorry, I was speaking to the whole, not just Colorado.

On that note, Colorado has Benchmark crude that the birdwatchers won't let be mined.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I like Pickens' idea to liquify natural gas and run all our vehicles on it. We have as much gas as Saudi hs oil.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't care what we use, as long as it works and we can afford it. The problem is that 51% of the country thinks that there is no reason to drive anything other than a bicycle or the magic underground train.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're in a wet gas area that might have some good oil here in nw Pa. They just drilled a Utica well about 6 miles from me and if it's as good as I'm hearing, we should get a ton of wells like our neighbors in Ohio in the Point Pleasant play.

Come'on baby, drill on my property!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You're problems in PA are, or are going to be, dealing with the enviro wackos on disposing of all the liquids involved after fracking. I heard just today that PA is going to require all cuttings, reclaimed water, fluids, acid, etc to be hauled off out of state somewhere. There's also no infrastructure to speak of.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doubt it. We've had tons of wells drilled in the state for years. Doubt our politicians will cut off an extra income stream rather than give the eco weenies some lip service.

We do need more compressor stations which can handle these larger flows of gas. There's one going in near the well that's near me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never ever underestimate the ability and focus of the enviro greenies. They are going to be relentless and unbiquitous!
Fracking has opened up extraction techniques once thought to be economically impossible.
Look at the bastards who showed up in D.C. this weekend sponsored by the Sierra Club. These bastards want us pulling rickshaws on unplowed broken roads.
Look at the pushback on the Keystone Pipeline. Canada is just begging for Skeeter to let it happen. The State Dept. is
delaying it right now. Thousands of contruction jobs created by Skeeter in a nano-second. Hundreds of new jobs down on the Gulf in the refineries.

When the Ogallala Aquifer delayed Keystone the first time, I said here and elsewhere the enviro commie bastards do not want this pipeline built. The parent company re-drew the map around the aquifer, added a couple of new pumping stations. Skeeter delayed it cause it was too close to his re-coronation. He wanted to keep the commie enviros on his side.

Now that he is going to be king for as long as he wants, Keystone is still on the edge. The rest of the oil producing
countries are laughing at the USA. They can't believe how stupid we are.

Look at the present high prices. We have around 9 refineries down for maintenance and an early conversion to the "summer blend". We have more demand from China adding pressure to the world supply.

We could have gasoline down to $3 and below with SAFE recovery of our fossil fuels. Yet these sons of bishes just don't want the US economy to grow and prosper.

Look at those axxholes who were arrested in DC this weeked. RFK Jr. and his moronic offspring. Not to mention that washed out shred of human debris, Darrayl Hannah.
I wonder how the hell they got to DC?

The public needs to get riled up over this issue like they do with 2A concerns.

The EPA is writing new frac sand regs that will make it more expensive to mine, store and haul. The EPA is writing their own mandated regs WITHOUT the approval of Congress. Skeeter just let them have free reign.

Elections matter.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/19/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rrroae
We're in a wet gas area that might have some good oil here in nw Pa. They just drilled a Utica well about 6 miles from me and if it's as good as I'm hearing, we should get a ton of wells like our neighbors in Ohio in the Point Pleasant play.

Come'on baby, drill on my property!

I wish you much luck and a huge oil contract. But be on the lookout for the enviros. They know what is going on and will stop at nothing to curtail or prevent anything that they don't approve of.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, if I see Darryl Hannah I'm throwing some rocks.

Damn, use to like her to.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ain't any blessing so big it can't be bonered by libs.

They need their minds fracked ----- constipation of thought, ya know.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm fairly confident the libs in my state aren't going to screw too much with the oil and gas companies. They like the Billions in tax revenue way too much.

Even the commie NY politicians are looking to lift their moratorium on fracking because they know it means huge increases in tax revenue.

Now, I'm not so confident they won't try to screw us landowners with some new outrageous property tax assessment on oil and gas land. They've already tried once.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rrroae
Doubt it. We've had tons of wells drilled in the state for years. Doubt our politicians will cut off an extra income stream rather than give the eco weenies some lip service.

We do need more compressor stations which can handle these larger flows of gas. There's one going in near the well that's near me.

They're already at it. I see lots of PA boys, service trucks, etc out here in W TX now for that very reason. They tell me that's why they're here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The drillers in my state have moved away from the Dry gas areas because of the low natural gas prices but they're increasing drilling in the wet and volatile areas which is on the western side of the state and heavily in the eastern part of Ohio.

Here's where activity is highest around us(in pink)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ranger1
And yet there is an enormous amount of money added to cost of production by the mere fact that the oil is being transported an enormous distance from the site of extraction. Thank the EPA, no new refineries built since 1976.

Still a lot closer than importing from the ME though..

i imagine at some point we are gonna be off ME oil, doubt we will truly independent though, i foresee us buying from Canada and other places closer to home for as long as we are heavily using oil......

but the other side of the coin is the oil they are talking about like the Bakken formation and the other two here and some of these shale deposits where fracking is needed is its not cheap to get the oil out of the ground, yeah its there, and there is alot of it but it doesnt mean we are gonna see $1.50 a gallon gas again cause if it drops that far and stays there drilling here will come to a quick halt cause they cant sell it for that and make money while paying to drill new wells....

last number i saw, and this is 10 years old, is that oil needs to stay at $60 a barrel or above or you cant make money drilling here on the Bakken cause it costs more to drill than you will get selling the oil out of it....im sure that number is higher now....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pretty good map of shale plays in the US.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Keystone is a red herring. The oil is coming to the Gulf Coast whether anybody likes it or not. Look at the Enbridge/Energy Transfer deal announced yesterday. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Look at the various pipeline companies asset maps available on-line. Overlay those maps. A couple of deals, interconnects and change of service and you can pump anything anywhere.

On another note, the only gas liqufaction that is going to happen in the US in the near future will be for export. Domestically gas isn't worth anything. Overseas is another story.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,681
Posts18,474,998
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.