-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My uncle has always been good to me when it comes to hunting. He has let me tag along, and through the years, I'm sure I've cost him some opportunities to fill his tag. Anyway, were going on a turkey hunt this spring and I though about giving him a gift, but don't know what to get. I thought about a custom call of some sort, but just don't really have any solid ideas where to go about looking for that. I'd like it to be something that he would use, not just set in the corner. He has favorite box calls and pot calls already....
Suggestions? Not sure about the amount just yet. Doesn't have or need to be expensive, but I'd spend 150 ish if I found something that I thought he'd really appreciate.

Thanks gents.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you have a favorite turkey hunting picture with your Uncle? If so, some of the custom call makers can take and put that picture under a pot call with glass on top. Pretty slick looking. I thought about doing this for my dad. I saw it on Old Gobbler in the Calls forum, but don't remember who was doing it.

Another idea would be a nice decoy like a Dave Smith.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A nice bird and trout knife would make me happy. You can find production knives out there that are of high quality. Go to the knife forum here and ask around.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Books written by Tom Kelly. Some of the best turkey hunting books I've ever read. Anyone who enjoys turkey hunting and some great stories won't be disappointed.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like the book idea. Hadn't thought of that. Do you have a specific recommendation for an experienced turkey hunter? I don't want to get him a book that is trivial for a turkey hunter who has killed a semi load of turkeys in his life.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The tenth legion is a classic by kelly, but is not a how to book. More about the obsession and beauty of the turkey hunt.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
If you decide to go the call route I had 2 box calls made for my sons for Christmas from Albert Paul. He put their names on the calls and who it was from. They are really nice and sound great.
Mr Paul makes about as good of a call as there is out there in my opinion.

http://www.paulscalls.com/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Albert Paul is a great call maker and is from right here in MS with me! Can't go worng with an Albert Paul.

I've got a nice box call from Jerry White of "Dad's calls". Lots of birds have been tricked by that one.

I just picked a new box from "Twisting Creek" calls when I was at the NWTF show. I'm really pleased with it so far.

A good custom box call is always a nice gift b/c he can use it or just look at it. The book idea is also a good thought. Anything from Tom Kelley or Jim Cassada.

Lee

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tom Kelly's "The Tenth Legion" is a classic. Kelly has a way of putting a grin on your face every page.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How about a good decoy? The Dave Smiths are great I hear, but very pricey. I have to Avians, jake and hen, that work like charms. First class and heavy duty. The jake is $99, the hen about $79. The hen works well enough alone, the jake really brings in those dominant toms.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I love everything I have read by Tom Kelly. None of it is really "how to" although you will learn a lot by reading his work. He has such a cool way of telling a story wrapped around the turkey theme and when you are finished reading you think, "Hmm, that really wasn't about turkeys at all." I love that and his way with words in general.

Mr. Kelly has an out of print collection of essays called "Better on a Rising Tide." I have read it over and over. It is one of my very favorite books.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I'm going to go the book route this time. I really like that idea and I think he'll enjoy it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 8 invisible), 872 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,118
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.