Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks George, I know it was the exception rather then the rule but we see so much written about What rifle, bullet, minimum energy, etc. etc. and we often forget the animal also has a say in this formula. <P>Once in a while you will get an animal who does not read the ballistic charts, or like the rules you have set forth. Those require a bit more coaxing or "power" to deal with. I know first hand what the 30/06 can cleanly take and I have personally taken lots of big to very big game with mine. However as you have stated if that Nyala bull was my first 30/06 kill I would have retired it at the end of that hunt.<P>Far to many hunters base a single event or a few events on how well or poorly something works. You really need to see a much higher resolution of game taken to make an accurate judgment. <P>As stated by both of us now in this thread the failures we have seen could have changed our opinions for life had they been our first experiences. Fortunately we both have enough experience to realize they were the exceptions rather then the rule. I love the 30/06 and will continue to use it with confidence. I can go out and shoot another 50 animals and never see this again with the 30/06. <P>As much as I love the swift A frame bullet I think a bullet that exits more often might be better. The X and the Partiton both Exit with a higher percentage. I may give the coated X bullets a try in Alaska this fall. I am working there the month of September guiding for Goats and Black bears. <P>I may whack a goat for myself with the New Blue X and see how the trauma compares on a big tough Mountain Goat. I have already shot lots of bears with the X bullet and have only recovered a few. Now I just have to see if they will shoot accurately. <P>I had leupold change my 2.5-8X36mm VariXIII reticle to the German #4 I will mount this scope this weekend and zero it with the new Blue X bullets. jj<P><BR>

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with JJHACK. My observation is that with many hunters good gun handling qualities such as proper rifle balance and weight is often ignored, while the subject of caliber is too often over-emphasized.<BR>I always maintained that what is important in a hunting rifle is suficient caliber with bullet to match for the game in a rifle that you can carry with comfort for a day set up with a good scope of such size that it does not spoil the balance of the rifle. That means and do not laugh now NO 4x14 or similar monstrosity on a light weight rifle such as the Model 7.<BR>It destroys its handling qualities. Also, may I add, while hunting leave those abomations called scope caps off the rifle, unless it is pouring rain. Many a big game animal got away around here with a novice hunter trying to get the scope caps to open, while the animal trotted to safety. I hunt usually in thick aspen/alder/willow, with high slough grass of about 3-4 feet tall. You spot your game, identify if it is a shooter while you swiftly put up your rifle and FIRE NOW!! You dally with an akwardly balanced and overly heavy rifle...........she be gone. We usually have about 2-3 seconds. Speed and smoothness brings home meat. Of course the rifle weight and dimensions is different for many of us depending on our strength,fitness level and size. The rifle you carry should reflect the type of hunting you plan to do with it. <BR>

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JJ,<BR>This is a repeat of a former post that I thought you may have missed which I would appreciate an answer if you would have the time to respond to.<P>Thanks for all the field reports. You mention that the standard Interlock works quite well. My experience (more limited) here stateside with game and testing leads me to believe that in most circumstances the Hornady will often perform as well as a premium bullet, even on somewhat larger game. Does your experience concur with this?<BR>More specifically, have you seen the 180 Hornady used in 30 caliber cartridges, and with what results?<BR>-Thanks for your time.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thunderstick, There is a day by day report of some of the events that took place in the Africa forum on this site. <P>The Hornys work excellent over 100 yards in magnums and at all distances in standard calibers. In the 375HH I have never had any complaints with them, but the game I hunt has a huge value in dollars so I will not blink at a dollar for a single bullet when a trophy fee could be 1000.00 or much more. Remember the bullet you launch is the only thing linking you to the game you shoot at. Your placing all your hopes on the performance and function of that little projectile, not to mention the cost of that trophy fee!<P>I will use Hornies for anything under 300 pounds from any standard caliber. Anything bigger in body size and all magnums justify at least a Partition for me.jj<P>------------------<BR>The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JJ,<BR>Thanks.<BR>I have read and enjoyed the day by day diaries. Maybe someday I will have my own to record.<P>My question was prompted by your statement that the Swifts, partitions, and Hornadies have all worked well. I was just interested in the size of game and the results you have had from the Hornady bullet in their use on plains game. <BR>I agree on the use of premiums when it really matters and when there is a lot of money at stake. My experience also agrees in making a distinction between the standard and magnum cartridges when selecting bullets.<BR>Thanks again

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In the Africa forum I have posted some photo's and some text from a few days hunting. This forum gets the most attention but the hunting information belongs in the Africa section. jj<P>------------------<BR>The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
JJ: Welcome home and congrats on another fine hunt. It is always good to read your posts.<P>FYI - I am at a new job now so the Lottery email is a dead end. Keep in touch. Mike.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1234, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.